The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I could see Draisaitl slipping to 6th. His numbers (as a 17 year old) are on par with Virtanen and Perlini -- they are all around a point per game.

The one thing I haven't seen anyone bring up is the scouting. Specifically scouting in the WHL. The geographical logistics of the WHL make it such that scouts generally stick to big cities (they are also more likely to live in a big city and the big cities are geographically centered). In the WHL this means; Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, and to a lesser extent Saskatoon and Regina. Scouts generally wait until a team like the Raiders (Draisaitl's team) come to one of these big cities, instead of driving all the way out to Prince Albert. I'm not saying scouts do not go to these far little towns but they scout more often from big cities. What does this have to do with the Canucks draft? Well a guy like Draisaitl can sit back at home games, maybe not backcheck or forecheck as hard, maybe take a shift or two off, maybe cherrypick at the red line. Remember Prince Albert has one of the lowest attendance rates in the CHL.

Conversely a guy like Virtanen who plays in Calgary has to play well every home game because he knows there will be scouts in the stands. Think about it this way - let's say Virtanen causes a horrible turnover (very dumb play) at a home game - scouts will notice this. On the other hand Draisaitl does the same thing on a Thursday night in Prince Albert - not as many if any scouts will notice this.

One more point is this; who do you think is driving to Prince Albert in February in the middle of a snowstorm? A team's head scout with the most experience and a high salary or the rookie scout who is earning his strips?

Of course I am generalizing here but nobody will deny more scouts have watched Virtanen than Draisaitl. And let's not forget how important the number of games watched is when it comes to scouting.

1). D Aaron Ekblad, Barrie (OHL), 6-4, 215
2). C Sam Reinhart, Kootenay (WHL), 6-1, 185
3). C/LW Sam Bennett, Kingston (OHL), 6-0, 180
4). C William Nylander, MODO (SHL), 5-11, 170
5). C Leon Draisaitl, Prince Albert (WHL), 6-2, 210
6). LW/C Michael Dal Colle, Oshawa (OHL), 6-2, 180
7). LW Nick Ritchie, Peterborough (OHL), 6-2, 230
8). LW Nikolaj Ehlers, Halifax (QMJHL), 5-11, 165
9). LW Brendan Perlini, Niagara (OHL), 6-2, 205
10). D Haydn Fleury, Red Deer (WHL), 6-3, 200

I like FC April rankings, Dal Colle at 6 :bigblush:

I was wondering if Buffalo or Florida picks Ekblad does anyone see Oilers trading down because I don't see them picking another forward again they desperately need a stud on defense.

But I see

Buffalo drafting Bennett

Florida drafting Reinhart

Oilers drafting Ekblad

Islander drafting Draisaitl

Flames drafting Ritchie

I was wondering if Buffalo or Florida picks Ekblad does anyone see Oilers trading down because I don't see them picking another forward again they desperately need a stud on defense.

But I see

Buffalo drafting Bennett

Florida drafting Reinhart

Oilers drafting Ekblad

Islander drafting Draisaitl

Flames drafting Ritchie

and canucks get mdc? im good with that

I can't see Buffalo trading their pick

I could see Florida trading their pick for some proven roster players

I could see Edmonton trading if they don't get Ekblad

Islanders will probably keep their pick

Flames will definitely keep their pick

and canucks get mdc? im good with that

aha yeah it wouldn't surprise me if he's there for us at 6th overall, it all depends on the first pick overall pick whoever gets it if Oilers win the lottery I see them drafting Ekblad but it wouldn't surprise me if Calgary pick one of the powerforward's or Nylander

I'm partial to MDC who is my pick to fall, but still rather trade down and grab an asset and Virtanen or another one of the decent wingers that are so abundant in the top 20.

I'm not saying the top 10 is bad, just saying none of these guys being talked about outside the top 3 go in the top 10 any other year.

Honestly I could see Buffalo taking Draistl

I read an article (don't know how credible) that said they thought he was the best out of the top 5.

If the order remains Buffalo or Florida first

Buf Draistl

Flo Ekblad

Edm Sam

NYI Dal Colle

Calgary Ritchie

Van Sam

I actually really think this is possible for some odd reason.

Either Bennet or Reinhart making their way to the Canucks.

Either that or EDM trades their pick to us for so they can take Fleury with the 6th.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2014/04/13/buffalo-sabres-gm-tim-murray-not-sure-if-aaron-ekblad-is-a-franchise-player/

CALL ME CRAZY!

CANUCKS ARE PICKING REINHART OR BENNETT at 6!!!!!

I could see Draisaitl slipping to 6th. His numbers (as a 17 year old) are on par with Virtanen and Perlini -- they are all around a point per game.

The one thing I haven't seen anyone bring up is the scouting. Specifically scouting in the WHL. The geographical logistics of the WHL make it such that scouts generally stick to big cities (they are also more likely to live in a big city and the big cities are geographically centered). In the WHL this means; Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, and to a lesser extent Saskatoon and Regina. Scouts generally wait until a team like the Raiders (Draisaitl's team) come to one of these big cities, instead of driving all the way out to Prince Albert. I'm not saying scouts do not go to these far little towns but they scout more often from big cities. What does this have to do with the Canucks draft? Well a guy like Draisaitl can sit back at home games, maybe not backcheck or forecheck as hard, maybe take a shift or two off, maybe cherrypick at the red line. Remember Prince Albert has one of the lowest attendance rates in the CHL.

Conversely a guy like Virtanen who plays in Calgary has to play well every home game because he knows there will be scouts in the stands. Think about it this way - let's say Virtanen causes a horrible turnover (very dumb play) at a home game - scouts will notice this. On the other hand Draisaitl does the same thing on a Thursday night in Prince Albert - not as many if any scouts will notice this.

One more point is this; who do you think is driving to Prince Albert in February in the middle of a snowstorm? A team's head scout with the most experience and a high salary or the rookie scout who is earning his strips?

Of course I am generalizing here but nobody will deny more scouts have watched Virtanen than Draisaitl. And let's not forget how important the number of games watched is when it comes to scouting.

I doubt it, Draisaitl is such a highly touted prospect I would imagine alot of scouts go to watch him alot of times, and if they can't get there watch online.

^ I hope so, I'm not a big fan of Nylander

What is it about Nylander you like so much? And what are his weaknesses?

I read an article (don't know how credible) that said they thought he was the best out of the top 5.

Buf Draistl

Flo Ekblad

Edm Sam

NYI Dal Colle

Calgary Ritchie

Van Sam

I actually really think this is possible for some odd reason.

Either Bennet or Reinhart making their way to the Canucks.

Either that or EDM trades their pick to us for so they can take Fleury with the 6th.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2014/04/13/buffalo-sabres-gm-tim-murray-not-sure-if-aaron-ekblad-is-a-franchise-player/

CALL ME CRAZY!

CANUCKS ARE PICKING REINHART OR BENNETT at 6!!!!!

You're crazy

Wouldn't that be a mistake when they need another top defensemen Ekblad and Fleury are the top first round d-man, wouldn't it be a mistake not drafting a d-man?

They would LOVE to get Ekblad I am sure. But I was saying if he's gone they seem pretty certain that it would be Draisaitl. Why are they so sure? I don't know.

But that's a good question you bring up. I think it would be a mistake if they draft a dman JUST for the sake of drafting a dman. I totally understand drafting for organizational needs. But in some situations it can be taken too far. If Edmonton would take a forward than they would definitely be making a trade to bring in some D-men. Which in my opinion is the better move than drafting a guy way too early because of organizational needs

Buf Draistl

Flo Ekblad

Edm Sam

NYI Dal Colle

Calgary Ritchie

Van Sam

I actually see Calgary taking Ritchie, Burke says he wants a team filled with big guys with skill and physicality so Ritchie seems like a perfect match. I think it would be Bennett or Dal Colle who falls to us.

What is it about Nylander you like so much? And what are his weaknesses?

His size. His defence. His offensive numbers don't look that impressive. He played the majority of the year in a weak league (difficult to judge his competition. Unknown if he could adapt his game to the smaller rink.

His size. His defence. His offensive numbers don't look that impressive. He played the majority of the year in a weak league (difficult to judge his competition. Unknown if he could adapt his game to the smaller rink.

Lol based on what? He's playing against men. His numbers are not bad. If you read my post earlier in this thread i compared his draft year numbers with players such as OEL, Filip Forsberg and Burakovsky. Nylanders numbers are better than all of them, by margin.

Lol based on what? He's playing against men. His numbers are not bad. If you read my post earlier in this thread i compared his draft year numbers with players such as OEL, Filip Forsberg and Burakovsky. Nylanders numbers are better than all of them, by margin.

Well to begin with Burakovsky went 23rd. Yeah his numbers are probably better than Forsberg's were. But both Forsberg and Burakovsky were over 6'1". How many of Nylander's goals were shootout goals? I know his only goal in the SHL was a shootout goal. We could add at least 4 goals to all the CHL prospects to even things up. 6th is far too high for Nylander. Maybe if we had the 10th pick we could roll the dice.

Perhaps you did not see my post from earlier:

From 2013 Draft to 1993 Draft (20 drafts) only 2 European skaters under 6 feet have went in the top 12:

Mikael Granlund (9th, 2010) from the Finnish League --- NHL Totals: Games:90 Goals:10 Assists:39 Points: 49 (Still very young)

Stanislav Chistov (5th, 2001) from the Russian League --- NHL Totals: Games:196 Goals:19 Assists:42 Points: 61

20 years x 12 top picks = 240 only two of which have been European skaters under 6 feet. Also none of them have come from the Swedish League.

Archived