The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We've 3 guys in our system capable of being tweener or bottom 6 LW's plus Shinkaruk who is a potential top 6 C/LW Added all the guys in our actual roster as well.

Virtanen, Tuch, Vrana, Watson Bleakly Kapanen. All of these would be solid pick ups for the club because we need RW players. We could get 2 in the first 2 rounds or provided we get another 1st round pick 2 in the 1st which could make a difference as early as 2015.

Virtanen will be the perfect 1st line RW to have. If we do miss the playoffs and finish high enough in the draft lottery (9th-11th) to get Virtanen, what I would do is deepin our prospect depth even more by trading to get a top 10 pick and another 1st in the 13th-16th range. Say we trade for the 7th and 15th overall

7th - Draisaitl

9th - Virtanen

15th - Tuch

Virtanen - Draisaitl - Kassian

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Tuch

Gaunce - Cassels - Jensen

Archibald - Lain - Grenier

Then next year we can work on adding to the defence.

2015 is a pretty staked draft. I wouldn't mind if we waited until then, but if the value is around this year why not!

I wouldn't mind either, but if we finish with a top 10 pick this year, we should focus on building up forward depth then next year work on defence and goaltending.

Its funny but I am really excited to see who our 5th round pick is going to be. We are on a hot streak for finding gem defensemen with that pick; Corrado, Hutton, and Cedarholm in the last three drafts. In fact, could you imagine how bad our defense prospect pool would be without our finds in the 5th.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering about the second round, this is where the Canucks need to hit a home run IMO

In the first round I would like :

Perlini

Virtanen

Ehlers

Who's a good pick for that 35-40 range?

Any good LHD Ds? We have a lot of right side guys in our system now, or do we go with a forward?

Virtanen will go very high in this thin draft I think.

I'm worried. Our drafting history makes me think that we'll burn a high pick on Willie Nylander, who I would avoid, personally, because he looks more like a Belieber than a future NHLer.

That-sound-you-hear-is-every-woman-in-South-Florida-simultaneously-hitting-the-floor.jpg

His old man was brilliantly-skilled, but never really did much when the games started to matter. Best season was the one he had with Jagr post-lockout. The no contact one. I would not think the apple falls far from the tree.

Seen enough of that here, I think.

Would also avoid Ehlers, as we already have Shinkaruk, and this guy is basically as softer, more Danish Shinkaruk.

Here's an interesting 2d round D pick for Vancouver

Joshua Jacobs

6-2

Shoots Left

USHL

Talent Analysis

Jacobs has the size and skating ability to be an effective defender with some offensive elements to his game. He can also hit long passes from his own zone and looks to make quick plays in the transition game. His judgement and ambitious nature sometime gets him into trouble but that is something that should improve as he continues to progress.

Future

Jacobs has the prototypical size and skating and passing skills that scouts look for in a pro defenseman. He is headed to Michigan State in September 2014 to play college hockey and should have plenty of time to iron out the inconsistent parts of his game and become the effective two-way defender that his skill set suggests he can be.

Virtanen will go very high in this thin draft I think.

I'm worried. Our drafting history makes me think that we'll burn a high pick on Willie Nylander, who I would avoid, personally, because he looks more like a Belieber than a future NHLer.

That-sound-you-hear-is-every-woman-in-South-Florida-simultaneously-hitting-the-floor.jpg

His old man was brilliantly-skilled, but never really did much when the games started to matter. Best season was the one he had with Jagr post-lockout. The no contact one. I would not think the apple falls far from the tree.

Seen enough of that here, I think.

Would also avoid Ehlers, as we already have Shinkaruk, and this guy is basically as softer, more Danish Shinkaruk.

Looks like he played for Team Iceland in Mighty Ducks: D2

EDIT: Yup:

50c23750eda5bdd987dcc9cf3e22419a.png

gunnar.jpg

Archived