The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Price gets the start in the QF

AngNMGN99

Better goalie than Schneider and at 33 would be the starter on 25 teams

Interesting since Schneider sits 6th in NHL with 1.86 GAA vs Luongo who is 26th at 2.38 GAA. Schneider is 13th in NHL with Sv% of 0.926 whereas Luongo is 31st in NHL with Sv% of 0.917. NJ is doing worse than Van even with Van sucking as of late. I have a feeling we'd be doing better with Schneider in net than Lu right now not that being stuck with Lu is all bad.

Lu played against Austria. Price played against the stronger teams. Tough choice but the way Price has been playing in comparison to Lu lately, it is Price's show.

What I said in another thread:

It looks like Price was never coming out of that net and they wasted Lu's time. He could have been resting in Vancouver during the break.

And lets keep the homer insults at bay in this thread. For every homer there is a poster that goes so rabid in the other direction. Neither is as objective as they think.

Lol, now backup goalies might at well as not even show up for games because it's a waste of time? I guess we should tell Lack to go home for the year and come back next year.

Wow the homer is strong here.

I don't give a crap what anyone thinks, I lost respect for Babcock, win or lose...Luongo simply did not get 1 once of respect from Team Canada after winning the Gold on home soil just 4 years ago. Brodeur got the respect 2 Olympics after winning in 2002. In 2010 Brodeur still got the opportunity to run with it being an older goalie, Lu only then took over.

4 years later Lu plays a flawless game against Austria and Price played well too nothing against him, and Lu just gets pushed aside.

I never really cared for Team Canada in the Olympics even in 2010 when they won, I wasn't jumping for joy, just glad Lu got Gold but nothing more. Won't change this year, GO OVI AND RUSSIA

I've never liked babcock. He's an extremely over-rated coach who gets a lot of credit for the great work his GM does.

Having said that there is no wrong choice for him unless he goes to Smith. Luongo or Price; no matter which one gets the nod is the right choice. Price being 8 years younger means he's a guy who can carry the torch for quite some time. IMO the goalie quality is equal but if Price can take this and run with it it gives Canada a goalie for many more years.

I'll believe the whole no NHL players in the olympics when I see it.

Interesting since Schneider sits 6th in NHL with 1.86 GAA vs Luongo who is 26th at 2.38 GAA. Schneider is 13th in NHL with Sv% of 0.926 whereas Luongo is 31st in NHL with Sv% of 0.917. NJ is doing worse than Van even with Van sucking as of late. I have a feeling we'd be doing better with Schneider in net than Lu right now not that being stuck with Lu is all bad.

Lu played against Austria. Price played against the stronger teams. Tough choice but the way Price has been playing in comparison to Lu lately, it is Price's show.

Have to agree although I'm not sure why Cory is brought back into this? (Yes I know it wasn't you who brought it up).

I don't think Lou was ever concise the to be the starting goalie and the only reason he made the team was because he won last Olympics. Think about it from an objective prospective, he hasn't won a playoff game in how many years? How was he playing coming into the games? Like it or not 4 years ago Lou was in the prime of his career, team Canada I don't think ever thought of him as the starter this time around. I think he is capable of starting for Canada don't get me wrong but price is the better option when you add it all up.

We shouldn't underestimate the Swiss. We lost to them in '06 and they are a better team now than they were then. We have to run the table from here on out. I'm just saying this because if we don't people will question the decision to go with Price. In any case I don't have a problem with either goalie starting for us, I can't imagine it will be either of their faults if we don't win gold.

The Swiss shouldn't underestimate the Latvians they are down 2-0 at the 1st intermission haha..

Lol, now backup goalies might at well as not even show up for games because it's a waste of time? I guess we should tell Lack to go home for the year and come back next year.

Wow the homer is strong here.

It's a waste of Lu's time because the decision was made before he hit the plane. Could have just used Smith for that in the end and let Lu rest as our team needed him rested more then bench warming.

And quit the homer rhetoric. It doesn't make you look objective.

I think how he's playing right now is far more important. Price's game has really rounded out this season since the Canadiens hired Stephan Waite to be his goalie coach. The last Olympics is meaningless. It was 4 years ago. Iginla set up the golden goal, I guess he should be here to generate offence since he has the experience huh

Just before his last 3-4 good games in the NHL, Price was constantly being pulled and letting in 4-5 goals. A goalie's confidence can change with one shot. The decision is do you want to go with someone whose already been in extremely pressure packed situations or someone new when both goalies are giving you essentially the same results at the Olympics.

It's a waste of Lu's time because the decision was made before he hit the plane. Could have just used Smith for that in the end and let Lu rest as our team needed him rested more then bench warming.

And quit the homer rhetoric. It doesn't make you look objective.

Well, the reasons you guys are coming up with are so childish it's hilarious but ok whatever. Of course the decision was made before he got on the plane. That's easy to see. You do understand all hockey teams still need a backup goalie right?

What makes Lou so much more important (or high and mighty) than Smith, or should we have sent some junior kid? I don't get it.

Great attitude, "Oh, I'm not starting, F U then I'm not playing. lolllllll sss

That's why St. Louis taking the night to think about it should have been hung up on and Giroux or someone brought instead.

he thought about it, cause he knows he is not high on the list. And also he said he already made vacation plans w family and need their ok.

but he said yes because no one turns down a chance like this. He is a team player.

Have to agree although I'm not sure why Cory is brought back into this? (Yes I know it wasn't you who brought it up).

I don't think Lou was ever concise the to be the starting goalie and the only reason he made the team was because he won last Olympics. Think about it from an objective prospective, he hasn't won a playoff game in how many years? How was he playing coming into the games? Like it or not 4 years ago Lou was in the prime of his career, team Canada I don't think ever thought of him as the starter this time around. I think he is capable of starting for Canada don't get me wrong but price is the better option when you add it all up.

Agreed and thanks for the respectful reply to my post.

Well, the reasons you guys are coming up with are so childish it's hilarious but ok whatever. Of course the decision was made before he got on the plane. That's easy to see. You do understand all hockey teams still need a backup goalie right?

What makes Lou so much more important (or high and mighty) than Smith, or should we have sent some junior kid? I don't get it.

Great attitude, "Oh, I'm not starting, F U then I'm not playing. lolllllll sss

I didn't say any of that and nothing of what you posted here is an example of an adult post for someone calling out others as childish.

Smith would have been more than capable of backing up Price as an undisputed starter and Lu could have been resting for the big season ending push and that would benefit the Canucks more then boosting from the bench in Sochi for a role he was never going to get.

I didn't say any of that and nothing of what you posted here is an example of an adult post for someone calling out others as childish.

Smith would have been more than capable of backing up Price as an undisputed starter and Lu could have been resting for the big season ending push and that would benefit the Canucks more then boosting from the bench in Sochi for a role he was never going to get.

What happens if Price goes down with an injury in that situation? Now you have the second best Canadian goalie sitting at home. You've got this whole tournament wrong, it has zero to do with individual performance, it’s about representing your country. Look a Bergeron, he averages over 20 minutes of ice time with the Bruins and now is only playing 12 minutes per game. He was asked about this, you know what he said “Every player has a role on the team, and they understand their role, it’s just an honour to be here wearing this jersey”

The Olympics has nothing to do with padding stats, or getting all the ice time. Luongo knew this coming into the Olympics if he wanted to be a baby about it and sit at home (like Kipper did) then he could have. It’s about the experience and meeting all the other athletes from our country that have worked so hard to get there. If you honestly can’t see that then yes you do need to take off the homer glasses and take another look at what the Olympics is all about. In 2010 was Rogers arena filled with Canucks jerseys or team Canada jerseys?

Archived