The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canada vs Latvia, quarterfinals

goalie13

i feel like canada has been set up to lose this tourney .....4 games in and their hardest opponent has been the fins.... you gotta get battled tested ... usa thumping us early in vancouver is what got everyone to pull their heads out of their asses ... ... russia and usa have been playing far better hockey vs better opponents...

Honestly, I haven't been all that impressed with either team and each one is weak on d, and aside from the game aaginst each other, they haven't had any tougher opponents than Canada. I think Canada has looked good, they just haven't scored.

I'm not sure what you are basing that on. Price has let in two goals, both deflections........he's looked fine in net. I actually thought Luongo had a good game, and made some good stops, but the Canadian staff said, all along, they were going with the goalie who had the hot hand during the reg season, that's Price, no contest. You're mad because they stuck to their word?

price was the cause of his first goal with his behind the net giveaway, and had he been in proper position he would have stopped that puck instead of letting it squeak through between his arm and his body. he got rattled and never recovered on the play (and we NEVER should have had a goal against in that game). he's also had horrible re-bound control, and when we face stiffer competition that is going to bite canada in the ass.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/carey-price-starting-canada-medal-round-kunitz-back-101122236--nhl.html

As we’ve said all along, Team Canada wanted Price to be the starter in the medal round. He passed the tests he was given the first round, dealing with both the larger ice and the Olympic spotlight. Luongo has the experience and the gold medal, but Price has the confidence of the team’s braintrust.

ok....

So they don't have confidence in the guy that won them Gold

The Latvians were pretty tired at the end of the Swiss game and the Swiss have no offense at all. 60 minutes is a long time to play all-hands-on-deck defense against a team with Canada's firepower. 5-1 Canada although I predict a much closer scoreline until the 3rd period.

My guess is the Latvians will keep it close for awhile but will ultimately succumb to the superior Canadian talent. I don't understand the posters who mention the Latvian's "trap" or "Nolan's suffocating style" because I sure haven't seen any of that in the 3 games that I've seen of them. They have actually had a terrific tournament despite not winning in the first 3 games and their goalie has been brilliant. All it would take is for him to totally lose his mind and for us to screw up just a bit (tons of penalties, a bad goal whatever) and this game could be historic, for all the wrong reasons.

You are right! If we don't win it won't be because of our goalkeeping. Time for those millionaire players to start skating, hitting and shooting the puck. If you don't win take the train east from there and then a slow boat across the Pacific back to Canada. By then the heat will have died down, at least a little. Go Canada!

Canada should easily beat Latvia no matter who is the goaltender. Its the next game Canada should be worried about. It would most likely be USA and I think we will lose that one.

I want my country (USA) to win of course, but I don't think that Team USA will beat Canada in the semis. The Gold/Silver medal match will be Russia vs. Canada. It's a toss-up who will win between the two. Russia has home ice advantage, but Canada is a better more talented team.

Go Canucks Go! :towel:

(Great that sorta works here too...)

Kenins - Girgensons - Indrasis has been a line more often than not during the games i've seen. Kenins and Indrasis have been nearly inseparable, and they are not the top line.

Can we still pick up Indrasis?

Should we...?

Archived