The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Please Explain to Me the Motivation Behind Trolling

Down by the River

The perpetrators find it entertaining. The ability to generate a reaction empowers them. It's a kind of fuel, a kind of high for them.

This one is a pretty recent one. Someone impersonated a member of the forum who had, at the time, not visited the forum since 2008 but who used to frequent this message board. He knew enough about this person through his old posts, such as the fact he worked as a security guard at one point and was one of the more philosophical individuals here.

He constructed this thread in 2011 on a random day; the perpetrator got away with this precisely because the original user, Jimayo Oyamitch, had vacated that name when he shortened his to simply Jimayo:

http://forum.canucks...to-a-new-start/

Several users responded in disillusion at this person's post. Of course, it was a hoax. The line "call me selfish or somewhat psychotic" was an invitation for him to be attacked.

See that is hilarious.

they say it is better to be thought a fool than opening your mouth and removing all doubt

i think it makes them feel bigger than they really are....i guess we are all fools

Well put Joe we only feed the trolls by acknowledging their existence. That is why I think this thread has done nothing but to feed them even more.

Aren't you doing the same thing OP with this thread? I honestly don't understand why Pouria gets all the blame, he actually posts some relevant and interesting stuff most of the time. Having said that there are other posters with alternative motivates for posting.

From my time on CDC I have observed hypocrisy is very rampant on this board almost like the plague. Along with ignorance. People are quick to label someone a fear mongering, etc.. when they have no idea what they are talking about even with the cold hard facts presented to them (Subway thread, Pooping thread, Fluoride in water, Canada Post thread etc...)

It takes less than 1 minute to research information to validate a thread on here, but instead people are too ignorant and lazy to do so. Instead they relay on predispositions and generalizations.

I don't think so. At least that is not my intent.

I am genuinely interested in the reason that 'trolls' themselves give for why they troll. I've heard a lot of explanations from non-trolls, but I doubt they'd be the same explanations given by actual trolls.

I don't like to give away too much personal information about myself, but to be informatively vague, I basically do research for a living, and my research has a lot to do with personality and personality traits. Its not meant to be a troll thread, only something I'm curious about. Maybe the answer is blatantly simple but I'm ignoring the answer because I expect something more complex.

EDIT: Though I see what you're getting at. Asking trolls to explain why they troll and expecting a legitimate answer could be seen as pretty naive on my part.

I always get trolled everywhere I go, my friends, my boyfriend, cdc, my kitty, hell even the kids at the daycare troll me. I am like troll bait or something? I kind of wish I knew why people like to troll me so much. I tend to just ignore it or to just play along, people always tell me I am easy to tease so I just live with it. Its all good. So I guess maybe people troll because of people like me who let them get away with it because its just easier and because we can laugh at ourselves or maybe I am silly and its just cause people are bored.

Troll is tossed around quite loosely around here especially in the canuck forums. If for example you don't like a player or want him traded it means you're not a fan of the team; hence, you're a troll. However, I would argue that if you suffer from Canuck homerism then you're the biggest troll of all by being close minded and for not looking at the game of hockey objectively.

In terms of the WN/OT forums, I think we're all there to pretend to be something we can't be in the real world. It's a place to release our inner d!ck and be something we're not. The benefits of Internet forum sites over actual human interaction is that there's really no consequences for you're actions.

I just don't get it.

People spend numerous hours posting lies, fake information, and antagonizing others, all for what? I just don't get the appeal of why a person over the age of 15 would find 'trolling' to be appealing. To me it seems like such a simple waste of time.

Am I just not getting the motivation for trolling? Is there something advantageous to it that I have not realized? The amount of trolls that have crossed the CDC forum shocks me. People spend hours and hours acting like idiots and lying, seemingly with the sole motivation of getting a negative reaction. Why do people want that?

This isn't meant to be a rhetorical or condescending question, I am genuinely curious about the psychology behind it.

You are far too mature to be on the internet. Leave now before your brain turns to mush.

Troll is tossed around quite loosely around here especially in the canuck forums. If for example you don't like a player or want him traded it means you're not a fan of the team; hence, you're a troll. However, I would argue that if you suffer from Canuck homerism then you're the biggest troll of all by being close minded and for not looking at the game of hockey objectively.

this

Archived