The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Please Explain to Me the Motivation Behind Trolling

Down by the River

Some people are just jerks. It doesn't explain all trolling but it probably explains some of it.

Then again, there are some self-absorbed, condescending egomaniacs on this forum that do deserve to get trolled so I don't necessarily mind it.

pretty much agree with this

there seems to be three primary forms of "trolling" around here:

there's good trolling, which utilizes intelligence, irony, and satire to make self-aggrandizing people feel uncomfortable (think Abaddon vs. Bertuzzi Babe).

then there's poor trolling which is more or less just repetition. that stuff is witless by definition. totally self aware and boring, like we see exaggerated with Cucumber, 4chan types, etc. boring, boring people who completely lack any sort of sense of irony or humour, but can easily mimic "humour" by using buzzwords, memes, and already established forms of irony to give the impression of "being funny" or whatever.

then there are those who, unprovoked, say rude things simply for the sake of being rude. like as Brad Marchand calls them "jerks," or as I call him, kodos

there's good trolling, which utilizes intelligence, irony, and satire to make self-aggrandizing people feel uncomfortable (think Abaddon vs. Bertuzzi Babe).

Bertuzzi Babe was a pretty massive troll in her own right. I don't know if you have to be concious of your trolling in order to actually be a troll, but her actions were that of one. She seemingly existed to push buttons and piss people off.

I got into a debate/argument with Bertuzzi Babe once when she was a mod. Needless to say it was the only one we had because despite 0% warning points when I logged in the next day or so my account was banned by her for having duplicate accounts. The duplicate account being one I hadn't used in 1-2 years with no overlapping time period posts and me thinking it was obvious that it was my old account based on me telling people openly and me being one of the few Flyers fans on here who lives in Philly which was noted on both accounts.

She stalked me onto a private forum, where she was somehow able to read my posts regarding her within minutes. It was a private community, which she was not a part of, and could not have even read the posts of without logging in.

It was after I tried to respectfully engage her with a complaint of her closing a thread down. She responded that I was talking down to her, treating her like an idiot, and the she knew why she closed the first thread down, and my wanting to start a new thread was antagonizing the situation.

I went to that forum of ex-CDC'ers said that she was some grumpy hag that wouldn't bother to listen to reason. And then she PM'ed me that she knew exactly what I've been saying about her.

It was the creepiest online exchange I've ever been a par of. I was almost afraid she'd show up at my door, or some crap.

And I had like 4,000 posts, and 0 warning points in my entire run on CDC. Yet she treated me like some sort of troll.

If she spent less time babysitting and bodygaurding Wetcoaster, maybe the forum could have ran properly.

She almost single handedly killed White Noise. She was the worst.

They weren't loved as a child?

So not Catholics...? :bigblush:

I don't think Pouria is a troll but if he actually is, he is a next level troll. Either way he is F'in hilarious.

I actually find his schtick kind of sad and unfortunate. It's a cliche of a brash, outwardly overconfident (but inwardly terrified/overcompensating) young, adult male. Like some poorly written character in a cheesy after school special who's father was a poor role model.

I generally just ignore it.

Wow. This is something else.

You have to wonder if she was mentally stable eh?

I'd have to say not entirely. She' had a strange compulsion to be some sort of weird internet hero all the time. I don't know who made her mod but she was nowhere near a stable enough person to weild that power fairly or with an open mind. She was like the anti-Deb.

Bertuzzi Babe used to go into Fantasy Hockey leagues that she wasn't a part of and report even the slightest rule infraction.

Good thing Straight up Lazy brought the lube.

A true hero.

One of CDC's greatest moments - that and Nail's Pron thread.

Pretty sure Kaz has screenshots of it all too.

I am labelled a troll because I speak the truth about the Canucks. It's funny because lately the majority have been agreeing with me. I've been saying for years that the organization is greedy and this current team doesn't have what it takes.

Some people can't roll with the punches I guess.

The problem with this statement is that "your" truth is only that and isn't necessarily "the" truth...it's that to you. And if your involvement is only to pop your head into threads with a one liner or so that's negative and never follow up with any supporting ideas, that becomes trolling. If you stuck it out and discussed your stance, it likely wouldn't be interpreted as such? Just my feedback on this.

The issue is that some people never have positive input of any sort and it's all negative or meant to incite a reaction.

I don't believe in only seeing things from one side, as some people suggest I do. The problem is when people do littleTO present a supporting argument besides "Canucks suck". It's about a pattern and if that's all you're contributing then you're a troll. Because, if that's your only input, you should really move on and find something else to do?

With the losing skid and lack of production, we have enough negativity to go around...sure, it's warranted but it also becomes overkill because complaining doesn't change things. So discussion is better than argument in that regard because the place deteriorates pretty quickly if everyone's simply lashing out. It gets tiring and some DO wish to stay positive and optimistic...there's no crime in that. So meeting in the middle is sometimes required. And opinions are just that...none are right/wrong so we all have to keep that in mind.

We all have our moments, me included in that. But, if it becomes a pattern of "in your face" with no give then it can also be viewed as trolling...

Remember, this IS a site for the fans - win or lose - so that's always going to be the prevailing theme...that support for the team will overrule any bashing that is done. Doesn't mean people can't be critical or truthful....just that accepting others' viewpoints has to be included in that.

I think most of us are guilty of having "trolled" at one time or another...if it's the only participation though, it becomes a problem.

I believe trolling is generally due to emotions escalating in heated debates and/or boredom and attention hounds who have to thrust themselves into the spotlight for whatever reason. A "look at me" thing.

What? When did this happen? I thought you two were bros.

when did what happen? i don't know who kodos is beyond vague familiarity. i get him The Bookie and Horny Manatee mixed up all the time, not sure why.

i just see him saying all this weird, rude stuff in status updates all the time, for no apparent reason. i just assume he's a drunk, tbh

btw Bertuzzi Babe still has a few cronies around here -- guaranteed she's being informed about this thread, and guaranteed she's spinning in her crypt wishing she could respond

if you wake up tomorrow morning and find some twigs bent into an unnatural shape and a dead mouse by your front door, i'd do three Hail Marys in the mirror before the sun goes down

btw Bertuzzi Babe still has a few cronies around here -- guaranteed she's being informed about this thread, and guaranteed she's spinning in her crypt wishing she could respond

if you wake up tomorrow morning and find some twigs bent into an unnatural shape and a dead mouse by your front door, i'd do three Hail Marys in the mirror before the sun goes down

This might be the greatest post in CDC history.

Archived