The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Virtanen or Ritchie?

PRIMO88

I wish we were even worse this season. I wanted Dal Colle really badly

same here..... I want this team to be in a position were they will end up with either...

Bennett

Dal Cole (he's apparently a centerman that is playing on the wing. Multi positional player)

or Draisaitl , Reinhart wouldn't be bad, but that's dreaming now because that's a top 2 pick.

I would be very surprised to see Ritchie slip by Calgary. He has Burke written all over him, not to mention they need a little more size in their future top 6 wingers.

Reinhardt - Buffalo (Stacked on D, need that #1 Centre)

Ekblad - Edmonton (Obvious)

Dal Colle - Florida (Set at Centre, best winger available)

Bennett - NYI/Buffalo (Best player available)

Ritchie - Calgary (I could see Calgary trading up to get Ritchie if it's Buffalo's pick, especially if they keep playing well and drop)

Draisaitl - Nashville (Most dynamic player for a team that needs to score more)

Fleury - Carolina (Need a can't miss D)

Perlini - Anaheim via Ottawa (Bobby Ryan replacement? Scary)

Virtanen - Vancouver (Here's hoping)

If it's Ritchie or Virtanen or Perlini or Draisaitl I'm going to be happy. #TankNation

Nobody is mentioning Ehlers or Goldobin? Ehlers and Scherbak have top line potential, and Goldobin would be good for the fans who are losing interest.. To have a young Russian stud in the system would be very exciting for the city.. Vancouver was buzzing for weeks over Sergei Shirokov's 2 goal performance in PRE-SEASON lol.. We chose not to take Nichushkin last season, I wonder if MG sticks to his Canadians once again

I'd take Jake Virtanen RW: (Abbotsford) 2014

then take Mathew Barzal C/LW (Coquitlam) 2015

if we could draft one more ELITE forward like Draisaitl we could make a pretty unbeatable top 9

Shinkaruk-Barzal-Virtanen

Draisaitl-Horvat-Jensen

Cassels-Gaunce-Kassian

Barzal Mcdavid Eichel Strome Marner Konecny thats exciting.. 2015 could be the best draft since the Kesler Draft

Here's something people should consider, that's not mentioned in the OP's post or 1st page

Nick Ritchie: 6'3, 238lbs ......that's REDICULOUS for a 17 year old. He's all power, with a huge reach and 1-timer

Jake Virtanen: 6'1, 215lbs.......Less sheer power, but looks to be the more passionate player. AMAZING skater and wrist shot

Thing that worries me sometimes about big kids like them two is that they sometimes over perform in junior because they dominate the rest of the players physically.. When they reach the pro's, their strength is matched by opposing players, therefore not living up to their potential ceiling.. A more appealing body type to scouts is a lanky player who hasn't filled out his frame, yet they still put up big numbers.. Thats why many scouts say although Ekblad is a cant miss prospect, he won't be that number one guy on your backline like Seth Jones will be.. many people project him maxing out as a number 2 or 3 on the depth chart

• 2 weeks later...

Nick the power foward Ritchie, literally carried the team on his back, his team was down 3 games to 0 against the power house Kingston team, Lead by Sam Bennet (will either be the 1st or 2nd foward drafted) and Roland Mckeown (only 1 of a handful of dmans that will be drafted in round 1). He notched 5 points in the 3 games, bringing it to game 7, were he had 1 goal and 1 assist in a 2-1 O.T win in game 7 were he scored the o.t winner. There is already no doubt in mind he will be drafted before Virtanen, and at number 10 we will have no chance at Nick Ritchie, the Canucks need to further lose more games and draft hopefully 6, (no way of catching the Islanders).

Regards.

Nick the power foward Ritchie, literally carried the team on his back, his team was down 3 games to 0 against the power house Kingston team, Lead by Sam Bennet (will either be the 1st or 2nd foward drafted) and Roland Mckeown (only 1 of a handful of dmans that will be drafted in round 1). He notched 5 points in the 3 games, bringing it to game 7, were he had 1 goal and 1 assist in a 2-1 O.T win in game 7 were he scored the o.t winner. There is already no doubt in mind he will be drafted before Virtanen, and at number 10 we will have no chance at Nick Ritchie, the Canucks need to further lose more games and draft hopefully 6, (no way of catching the Islanders).

Regards.

He'd sure be a badass addition.

If cassels keeps exceeding expectations, imagine a hardnosed scoring second line of

Shinkaruk Horvat Jensen

Ritchie Cassels Kassian

If Islanders give up their 1st to Buffalo (5th overall), I would love for MG to trade our pick plus more for the 5th pick so we can get either Draisatl or Dal Colle

If not, take Fleury.. If he's gone, best winger available (as tempting as Virtanen is, Perlini over him and Ritchie)

If they are not available, trade down to 20-25 and get a 2nd+3rd

Look at the history of Canucks picks.. Hodgson Jensen Gaunce Horvat Cassels Subban and im sure many more if you look into it

All these guys were drafted in the 1st round of the CHL import draft.. MG likes guys who were highly touted right from the start, which is smart.. I can see him going for Nick Ritchie first.. If he's gone and we get Perlini, Ritchie's teammate Eric Cornel could be our 2nd selection

Dont want Virtanen. Apparently Ritchie is like Kassian. I want Ehlers ^_^ Dal Colle would be best tho :(

Where are you seeing this??? From scouting reports... and Petes fans, Ritchie has awesome sniping skills, and can literally run the power play. Like.. he's not a guy that you park in front of the net, of course you can make him do that, He is literally a play making winger, who can snipe goals from almost anywhere. Byron Ritchie is literally their most valuable player for the Petes. Kassian is a complementary support power winger. Their not alike. I personally believe Ritchie will end up being more productive then Kassian down the road. Their not even similar right now... The difference right now is Kassian is probably a more faster skater, and throws the body more, Ritchie is not as fast actually, but more capable offensively. Both are tough as nails, My head will be through the roof if we are in a position to draft Ritchie. Him and Kassian on the same line will be nasty.

Ritchie has better vision and overall is a better offensive player then Kassian. Kassian overall has the edge on physical play due to him being able to skate at a high speed for his big body.

Dont want Virtanen.

same here. I'm not sold on him, unless we were drafting at the mid 20's. Right now he has the size and skating advantage, but not sold on him at all. A lot of his goals are off the rush, the goals he is scoring, he won't get much of that at the NHL level. I will actually much rather have Jared McCann over Virtananen ten out of 10 times, or Julias Honka before Virtanen.

People see big, can skate and OHL petes and all of a sudden Kassian=Ritchie

Ritchie is a much different player than Kassian, and I am not going to get into it as I have a few times already but I am SMH

If people actually thought Gaunce would be a first line center then they need to go watch another sport.

Remember the critics said that Kesler would be no more than a 3rd line centre? Or the Sedins will at best be a point a game players?

I'm not saying he'll be a #1 centre, but you can't just dismiss it outright. Unless you have a crystal ball.

Archived