The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why do so many of you rip Gillis for not aquiring Russian players?

70seven

Two straight Olympics help to prove that these guys have a very hard time coming together as a team. All that talent and still no dice. All due credit to Finland, but talent for talent, it should have been a win for the Ruskies.

You then have the legit threat of losing your players the KHL, and they would generally play for money before the chance to win. Not to mention being rewarded with ice time at the Olympic games...

Im so thankfull we have a player in Bo Horvat rather that Valeri Nichuskin. Im sure that VN will end up scoring nicer goals, but I have no doubt that Horvat will be the better team player, and be more helpful in actually winning games that matter.

How many key Russian players do the SC contenders have? Chicago? Anaheim? Boston? LA? SJ? Pitts?

Of those teams I count 2... yes 2. Malkin and Voynov.

Interestingly enough, 4 of the 5 teams listed have won Stanley cups over the last 6 years. IM not suggesting there cant be an exception, particularly if its an elite center iceman, (Datsyuk, Malkin), but stay away from the explosive wingers with all that talent. In this era, they are non factors or solo factors when the game matters the most.

it's because there are a lot of highly skilled russians that, when mixed with other nationalities, have proven to be very dynamic and add something that we are missing in our lineup, pure scoring talent. the problem they faced in the olympics (and most of their national programs) is that they have no support players, something that is sorely needed.

the only treal russian team player we've had was larinov.....russian players use the old i'm going home to russia to get more money.

bure was dynamic but was the most selfish player i've ever seen....he would try to stick handle through each team...i used to think, his own players might as well go sit on the bench because he rarely passed to them....

messier use to come back to the bench, shaking his head after a shift with bure....

keenan called him a selfish little puke....

russian players, no thanks

Right now, Canada's top players aren't doing any better than Russia's top players. Why aren't you ripping Tavares and Crosby and Perry for being selfish, not scoring and playing a me first game? Oh that's right, they are just trying hard like good ol' Canadian boys do.

I would take any player, regardless of nationality, that provided skills that other players on my team weren't able to. Nationality has nothing to do with the desire to win. Right now, I can tell you that any Russian player on the Olympic team would trade their millions of dollars for a chance at the Gold medal or Stanley Cup (except for the guys that play in the KHL).

The best Red Army teams and WJC Russian team were the ones without a superstar like Malkin and Ovechkin. They had great players for sure (like Datsyuk, Kharlamov, etc.), but what made them the best a the time was team chemistry and team plays.

Malkin and Ovechkin have both been owned at the WJC by Canada and now two straight Olympics with early exits.

So basically Horvat is better than Nichuskin because 1 nationality is superior to the other. If someone like Nich or Kulikov played on any of those 6 contenders it would shake the foundations of that teams chemistry and take them out of contention.

Hey, Grigorenko will be available as an RFA in '15-'16. If MG wants a Russian that can play on the wing then he can pick one up then.

His character is in question though. I think that's one of the reasons that teams are reluctant to pick up Russians. If they don't get their way, they are likely to bolt off back to Russia/KHL.

Generally speaking (other than last years Horvat vs Nisk) we don't pick high enough (picking in the 20's) to get Russian players at the talent level required for them to be NHL "sure things". As such, most more middling-talent Russians (or Eastern Europe for that matter) aren't worth the risk (KHL) compared to players from other countries (North America, Western Europe).

Why possibly waste a pick on a player who may never come over when you can get a kid from North America/Western Europe with close/comparable skill levels but perhaps different skill sets?

Archived