The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[NHL Entry Draft 2014]: "Mock Talk!" - Hosted by S N Y P E R S 7

S N Y P E R S 7

Hey everyone,

S N Y P E R S 7 here.

A lot of people have been asking me, because I watch over 200 prospects develop year-to-year, what I think the draft will look like.

I will keep this updated, but here is my proposed Mock Draft

{As of 2/19/2014}:

Buffalo Sabres: Aaron Ekblad

Edmonton Oilers: Sam Reinhart

Florida Panthers: Leon Draisaitl

Calgary Flames: Sam Bennett

NYI: Nicholas Ritchie (NYI's favorite player for a very long time)

Nashville Predators: Michael Dal Colle

Carolina Hurricanes: Haydn Fleury (Carolina favorite for a very long time)

Winnipeg Jets: Jake Virtanen

Vancouver Canucks: Nikolaj Ehlers

Washington Capitals: William Nylander

Anaheim Ducks: Brendan Perlini

Columbus Blue Jackets: Kasperi Kapanen (CBJ favorite for a very long time)

Detroit Red Wings: Ivan Barbashev

Arizona Coyotes: Jared McCann

Dallas Stars: Anton Karlsson

Philadelphia Flyers: Roland McKeown

NYR: Anthony DeAngelo

L.A. Kings: Sonny Milano (L.A. favorite for a very long time)

Minnesota Wild: Dylan Larkin

Toronto Maple Leafs: Josh Ho-Sang

Montreal Canadiens: Alex Tuch (Habs favorite for a very long time)

Tampa Bay Lightning: David Pastrnak

Boston Bruins: Robby Fabbri (Bruins favorite for a very long time)

Colorado Avalanche: Jakub Vrana

San Jose Sharks: Nikita Scherbak

Pittsburgh Penguins: Nick Schmaltz

Chicago Blackhawks: Nikolay Goldobin

St. Louis Blues: Adrian Kempe

Anaheim Ducks (2): Julius Honka

Please feel free to post your own Mock Drafts, subscribe to the thread!

This is a free place to voice your opinions.

Hey everyone,

S N Y P E R S 7 here.

A lot of people have been asking me, because I watch over 200 prospects develop year-to-year, what I think the draft will look like.

I will keep this updated, but here is my proposed Mock Draft

{As of 2/19/2014}:

Buffalo Sabres: Aaron Ekblad

Edmonton Oilers: Sam Reinhart

Florida Panthers: Leon Draisaitl

Calgary Flames: Sam Bennett

NYI: Nicholas Ritchie (NYI's favorite player for a very long time)

Nashville Predators: Michael Dal Colle

Carolina Hurricanes: Haydn Fleury (Carolina favorite for a very long time)

Winnipeg Jets: Jake Virtanen

Vancouver Canucks: Nikolaj Ehlers

Washington Capitals: William Nylander

Anaheim Ducks: Brendan Perlini

Columbus Blue Jackets: Kasperi Kapanen (CBJ favorite for a very long time)

Detroit Red Wings: Ivan Barbashev

Arizona Coyotes: Jared McCann

Dallas Stars: Anton Karlsson

Philadelphia Flyers: Roland McKeown

NYR: Anthony DeAngelo

L.A. Kings: Sonny Milano (L.A. favorite for a very long time)

Minnesota Wild: Dylan Larkin

Toronto Maple Leafs: Josh Ho-Sang

Montreal Canadiens: Alex Tuch (Habs favorite for a very long time)

Tampa Bay Lightning: David Pastrnak

Boston Bruins: Robby Fabbri (Bruins favorite for a very long time)

Colorado Avalanche: Jakub Vrana

San Jose Sharks: Nikita Scherbak

Pittsburgh Penguins: Nick Schmaltz

Chicago Blackhawks: Nikolay Goldobin

St. Louis Blues: Adrian Kempe

Anaheim Ducks (2): Julius Honka

Please feel free to post your own Mock Drafts, subscribe to the thread!

This is a free place to voice your opinions.

dont you have a job and or school?

How many of these do we need? Not trying to detract from what is at least a thought out post. but there is I think at last count 11 total threads about the 2014 entry draft, specific position we will draft in, who we should draft or what this team needs to draft.

That being said, the Jets will finish ahead of the canucks and they've enough RW's at the moment they don't need Virtanen and we don't need another undersized forward in ehlers when we have a ton of LW's in our system and on our roster

Added* No WAY does Honka fall that far he's going in the top 20

How many of these do we need? Not trying to detract from what is at least a thought out post. but there is I think at last count 11 total threads about the 2014 entry draft, specific position we will draft in, who we should draft or what this team needs to draft.

That being said, the Jets will finish ahead of the canucks and they've enough RW's at the moment they don't need Virtanen and we don't need another undersized forward in ehlers when we have a ton of LW's in our system and on our roster

Added* No WAY does Honka fall that far he's going in the top 20

Considering Horvat is both Centre/Left wing I agree we are fairly deep on that side. Jensen is left handed I think, could play left wing if need be. Could add another D prospect or RWer. Not opposed to a really good LWer though.

Considering Horvat is both Centre/Left wing I agree we are fairly deep on that side. Jensen is left handed I think, could play left wing if need be. Could add another D prospect or RWer. Not opposed to a really good LWer though.

How often dot eh canucks get a chance to

A: Draft a super talented BC boy?

B: Draft in the top 10

C: Draft all of the above in a needed position?

Virtanen.

You skipped New Jersey, I'm assuming its because they have to give up this year's 1st, but depending upon where they pick is where the slide occurs. If New Jersey would have picked in the top 10, Perlini or Virtanen could slide to us, conversely if they pick after 10 then their positioning would have no effect on where we pick, thus no gain.

I'll stand by my Russians, I'd like two of: Barbashev, Goldobin, or Scherbak.

I could definitely see Yzerman picking Pastrnak and being one of the steals of the draft.

My dream is that with a top-10 we pick Virtanen, then somehow acquire PHI's 1st at the deadline and pick Pastrnak with it. But hey, that's just my perfect world. :rolleyes:

EDIT: I could see us acquiring MTL or TB's 1st at the deadline. Me gut tells me that one of Kesler (PHI), Bieksa (TB) or Burrows (MTL) gets traded to one of these Eastern teams at the deadline. Not saying it'll happen, but just a feeling.

First of all, Ehlers is not undersized. You make me chuckle. He's 6 feet tall, which is the average size for an NHL player. He has had a very good development transition from Biel to Halifax, and he plays a north american, NHL style game - which is more than I can say for the raw talented Perlini. Pavel Bure had the same kind of transition, and his game was Taylor Made for the NHL. This guy is electric, and he is much more dynamic than any of the other Europeans in this years draft. He would be listed first, passing Nylander and Kapanen by a wide margin, if he had continued with Biel. He also plays a fairly physical game. Walk up to him and call him undersized. See what happens, I'd like to know!

He's played Left and Right wing this year alternating with Jonathan Drouin. IMO, he has an NHL level cut to center from right wing down from the hash marks and has an elite level wrist shot. Watch some Bure and watch some Ehlers - see the similarities and then call me up to say he's a pip squeak because until then, I'll sit back and watch some SOCHAAAY.

We're not going to get more picks. If they're available, get one of: Ehlers, Virtanen, or Perlini - and then get the hell out. This year's draft honestly cripples in comparison to the last few and the upcoming draft. 2015: Hanifin, Eichel, McDavid, Barzal - shall I continue? Littered with potential franchise players, star first liners, #1Ds, it makes me want to cry that we chose this year to suck the big one because next year is going to be godlike

First of all, Ehlers is not undersized. You make me chuckle. He's 6 feet tall, which is the average size for an NHL player. He has had a very good development transition from Biel to Halifax, and he plays a north american, NHL style game - which is more than I can say for the raw talented Perlini. Pavel Bure had the same kind of transition, and his game was Taylor Made for the NHL. This guy is electric, and he is much more dynamic than any of the other Europeans in this years draft. He would be listed first, passing Nylander and Kapanen by a wide margin, if he had continued with Biel. He also plays a fairly physical game. Walk up to him and call him undersized. See what happens, I'd like to know!

He's played Left and Right wing this year alternating with Jonathan Drouin. IMO, he has an NHL level cut to center from right wing down from the hash marks and has an elite level wrist shot. Watch some Bure and watch some Ehlers - see the similarities and then call me up to say he's a pip squeak because until then, I'll sit back and watch some SOCHAAAY.

I don't know anything of this kid's talent level, however he does sound like he is undersized.

Are you saying that height is the only factor which is assessed when the size of a player is determined? Is Tootoo "small" because he is only around 5' 9", even though he is also around 200 lbs? Ehlers currently weighs in at about the same weight as Schroeder, and Ehlers has 4" on him. That sort of body type is usually known as "string bean".

As I see it, Ehlers will max out at around Mason Raymond size. Is Raymond a good size for a player? Not if he has to do anything which requires a lot of physical play.

regards,

G.

I've compiled a list of players to AVOID in the NHL 2014 draft. This is from the central scouting list.

Chase De Leo. Too small, not overly aggressive, sheltered on a deep team, and not skilled enough to get over the lack of NHL size to become a decent scorer. Bust with highly-sheltered depth scoring potential, tops.

Josh Ho-Sang. Too skinny, not overly aggressive, sheltered on a deep team, and not skilled enough to get over the lack of NHL weight to become a decent scorer. Will spend years to put on weight, will likely slow down in that process, will likely be hurt often, and will likely bust.

Nikolaj Ehlers. Too skinny, not overly aggressive, from Denmark, sheltered on a deep team, and not skilled enough to get over the lack of NHL weight to become a decent scorer. Think Anton Rodin, who's also not an NHLer.

Robby Fabbri. Again too skinny, not overly aggressive, sheltered on a deep team, and not skilled enough. Another low qualcomp-type player, tops.

Spencer Watson. Is a 157lb boy. He never takes penalties. He'll never pan out in the NHL unless there is some miracle taking place. Think Kyle Wellwood, except not as fat.

Brayden Point. Another 150lb boy. Pass.

Daniel Audette. Son of Donald. Destined to be picked by midget Hab squad. The midget will never win anything, just like dear ol' dad.

Kyle Jenkins. Too skinny and not skilled enough to have significant NHL defenseman upside.

Tanner Macmaster. 146lbs of pure bust. Will likely not be drafted.

Francis Perron. Too skinny to become anything but a scorer against weak AHLers.

Olivier Leblanc. Too small for NHL defenseman upside. QMJHL defenseman are generally soft.

Seamus Malone. His name is Seamus, for starters, but this guy plays a bit chippier brand of hockey than the other midgets. Might be worth a late rounder. If he puts on some weight you can cross your fingers for a Brad Marchand-type.

Alexy Sleptsov. Too skinny and not skilled enough for significant NHL defenseman upside. Future constant minus.

Daniel Walcott. Again too skinny and not skilled enough for significant NHL defenseman upside. QMJHL guy.

Michael Lee. Ditto.

Nickolas Broulliard. Another too small Q defenseman.

Ivan Nicholishin. Impish Russian center. Think poor-man's Shirokov.

I've compiled a list of players to AVOID in the NHL 2014 draft. This is from the central scouting list.

Chase De Leo. Too small, not overly aggressive, sheltered on a deep team, and not skilled enough to get over the lack of NHL size to become a decent scorer. Bust with highly-sheltered depth scoring potential, tops.

Josh Ho-Sang. Too skinny, not overly aggressive, sheltered on a deep team, and not skilled enough to get over the lack of NHL weight to become a decent scorer. Will spend years to put on weight, will likely slow down in that process, will likely be hurt often, and will likely bust.

Nikolaj Ehlers. Too skinny, not overly aggressive, from Denmark, sheltered on a deep team, and not skilled enough to get over the lack of NHL weight to become a decent scorer. Think Anton Rodin, who's also not an NHLer.

Robby Fabbri. Again too skinny, not overly aggressive, sheltered on a deep team, and not skilled enough. Another low qualcomp-type player, tops.

Spencer Watson. Is a 157lb boy. He never takes penalties. He'll never pan out in the NHL unless there is some miracle taking place. Think Kyle Wellwood, except not as fat.

Daniel Audette. Son of Donald. Destined to be picked by midget Hab squad. The midget will never win anything, just like dear ol' dad.

Kyle Jenkins. Too skinny and not skilled enough to have significant NHL defenseman upside.

Olivier Leblanc. Too small for NHL defenseman upside. QMJHL defenseman are generally soft.

Seamus Malone. His name is Seamus, for starters, but this guy plays a bit chippier brand of hockey than the other midgets. Might be worth a late rounder. If he puts on some weight you can cross your fingers for a Brad Marchand-type.

Alexy Sleptsov. Too skinny and not skilled enough for significant NHL defenseman upside. Future constant minus.

Daniel Walcott. Again too skinny and not skilled enough for significant NHL defenseman upside. QMJHL guy.

Michael Lee. Ditto.

this informed me so much wow thanks

Watch him play.

I mean if you are able to donate over 200 hours of your time to watching CHL games like I do, over the course of a season, then maybe you can argue.

But, as I can tell, all of you have lives outside of scouting.

Which leaves me alone in the fact that I am the only one who sees his potential because I'm the only one here who gives enough time to watch every single Halifax Mooseheads game over the course of a season, as well as highlights of every CHL game at the end of every single day.

I doubt many of you watch a ton of prospects outside of your little window, but I am attentive to the stats and gameplay of prospects from Kangasniemi to Ekblad.

Your list of "players to avoid" really does mean nothing more than a youngster's squabble. Where do you get your information? HFBoards? No, wait, eliteprospects. There you go.

Not to offend you or anything, but exactly how many CHL games do you watch annually?

Scouting is all I do. Getting published is fun.

Arguing with Vancouver Canucks fans is the best.

BanTSN. I agree, but add another ban before that.

Michael Lee. Ditto.

There's this magical thing called "working out" that helps people bulk up. And these are teens, unless they are freaks of nature like Ekblad, they aren't going to have vet builds, some peoples children...

Archived