The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[NHL Entry Draft 2014]: "Mock Talk!" - Hosted by S N Y P E R S 7

S N Y P E R S 7

I've had a few friends back in the day go from about 150 pounds in school to around 200 in a few years..I mean sure it isn't as fast as some people would like, but certainly not as impossible as others would make it seem.

Not to mention these guys aren't starving Prince Georgian students at New Caledonia trying to work part time so they can eat a regular meal. They will get fed, they will work out. Most will bulk up.

Agreed Shinkaruk has way more edge and NHL upside, but ghaaa, that injury. I sincerely hope he recovers from that asap and starts developing again. More importantly, I hope his injuries are put behind him. Knock on wood.

the hip surgery is worrisome to a point. but if he had to have it done, now is better than later. if rehab goes well and he doesnt tweek anything else this off-season, he's right on schedule to go pro next year.

A 20lb post-draft NHL bulk up is the norm. 40-50lbs? Not typical. You also don't know how they'll perform after all that weight gain. Will they lose mobility? Endurance? Everyone is different, but these questions arising early on usually means the player will fall in the draft unless he just has an INSANE, Patrick Kane amount of skill.

Looking more at the Kane 2007 entry draft, a shallow one like this seasons':

An example of a 40lb bulk up is Alex Killorn from the 2007 entry draft. Skinny, but average height, he fell from the 2nd round to the 3rd. 7 years later he's an effective forward for Tampa. Sortof. Hey, good for him.

An example of a skinny bust is Jonathon Blum from the same draft. He fell a few spots but was still picked in the first round because he was a right-shooting d-man with offensive potential. He gained 30lbs, but never did bring anything to the NHL, even in Nashville's elite defense development system. Waived and in the minors now.

An example of a 5'-9" short guy busting is Stefan Legein, who was ranked mid-1st round, but fell to the 2nd round. He didn't have elite skill, got hurt early on and never amounted to anything.

Dana Tyrell was ranked mid-1st, fell to the 2nd, and is a fringe player today.

Mac Pacioretty, who was NHL-sized at draft, was ranked below Tyrell, but did not fall in the draft. He is an effective top-liner today.

Logan Couture, also NHL-sized at draft, rose late to 9th overall. He is an effective top-liner today.

Yes, both groups of players have their share of busts, it happens, but if you're banking on success, shouldn't NHL-readiness come into play? There is far more likelihood for an undersized draftee to bust and there is far more likelihood for an NHL-sized draftee to succeed.

Either way, the small guy? Yeah, unless he has elite skill, he falls in the draft. The team that picks him up is rolling the dice. Yes, you're rolling the dice anyway, but like I say above, isn't rolling the dice on an NHL-sized guy far more likely to pan out?

More examples: 2011 draft:

Baertchi, Ryan Murphy, and Ty Rattie?

or

Saad, Scheifele, and Boone Jenner?

All good players. All ranked fairly high in the draft. But gee, which ones already look like solid NHLers?

If you want to have success with young players, then those young players simply need have more NHL qualities at a young age.

Hey everyone,

S N Y P E R S 7 here.

A lot of people have been asking me, because I watch over 200 prospects develop year-to-year, what I think the draft will look like.

I will keep this updated, but here is my proposed Mock Draft

{As of 2/19/2014}:

Buffalo Sabres: Aaron Ekblad

Edmonton Oilers: Sam Reinhart

Florida Panthers: Leon Draisaitl

Calgary Flames: Sam Bennett

NYI: Nicholas Ritchie (NYI's favorite player for a very long time)

Nashville Predators: Michael Dal Colle

Carolina Hurricanes: Haydn Fleury (Carolina favorite for a very long time)

Winnipeg Jets: Jake Virtanen

Vancouver Canucks: Nikolaj Ehlers

Washington Capitals: William Nylander

Anaheim Ducks: Brendan Perlini

Columbus Blue Jackets: Kasperi Kapanen (CBJ favorite for a very long time)

Detroit Red Wings: Ivan Barbashev

Arizona Coyotes: Jared McCann

Dallas Stars: Anton Karlsson

Philadelphia Flyers: Roland McKeown

NYR: Anthony DeAngelo

L.A. Kings: Sonny Milano (L.A. favorite for a very long time)

Minnesota Wild: Dylan Larkin

Toronto Maple Leafs: Josh Ho-Sang

Montreal Canadiens: Alex Tuch (Habs favorite for a very long time)

Tampa Bay Lightning: David Pastrnak

Boston Bruins: Robby Fabbri (Bruins favorite for a very long time)

Colorado Avalanche: Jakub Vrana

San Jose Sharks: Nikita Scherbak

Pittsburgh Penguins: Nick Schmaltz

Chicago Blackhawks: Nikolay Goldobin

St. Louis Blues: Adrian Kempe

Anaheim Ducks (2): Julius Honka

Please feel free to post your own Mock Drafts, subscribe to the thread!

This is a free place to voice your opinions.

Thats good that NYI have been coveting Nick Ritchie for a long time but THAT pick belongs to the Buffalo Sabres. With the announcement of Tavares being out the rest of the season....I could hear the jumping and high fives from Lafontaine and Murray. That pick will surely be alot higher come draft day

Reinhart and Ekblad will surely be wearing Sabre uniforms.

Couple that with whatever they get for Moulson, Miller, and Ott.

Ekblad

Zadarov

Myers

nice young defence core

That being said....this surely changes alot of the landscape in regards to who picks who.

Florida already having a great young nucleus down the middle....Barkov, Huberdeau, and Bjugstad. Look for them to opt for one of the big wingers or Fluery could be defaulted to 3rd overall to shore their D prospects. My guess is still one of the Dal Colle or Pirlini.

Edmonton will gladly pick Fluery if he is available.

That leaves Calgary to pick up Bennett or Draisaitl

Thats good that NYI have been coveting Nick Ritchie for a long time but THAT pick belongs to the Buffalo Sabres. With the announcement of Tavares being out the rest of the season....I could hear the jumping and high fives from Lafontaine and Murray. That pick will surely be alot higher come draft day

Reinhart and Ekblad will surely be wearing Sabre uniforms.

Couple that with whatever they get for Moulson, Miller, and Ott.

Ekblad

Zadarov

Myers

nice young defence core

NYI can choose to keep the pick if its in the top 10, so SNYPERS is right, you're the one who's wrong.

dont you have a job and or school?

He could still have a job or school. He said himself he watches all the Halifax games and then CHL highlights afterward. How's that different than what most people on CDC do watching Canucks games and NHL highlights on TV every night?

Who do you write for?

CDC, duh.

Archived