The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canada vs U.S.A., semifinals

goalie13

gamesf_zpsc0fafb73.jpg

canada-5.jpg

Friday, February 21, 9:00 am PST (I love that all the games have been at 9:00 for us so far)

Winner gets to play for gold, loser plays for bronze.

Canada possible lines

Kunitz - Crosby - Carter

St.Louis - Toews - Nash

Marleau - Getzlaf - Perry

Benn - Bergeron - Duchene

Sharp

Keith - Weber

Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo

Vlasic - Doughty

Hamhuis

Price

Luongo

Tavares is reportedly injured and done for the tournament.

U.S.A. possible lines

Parise - Kesler - Kane

Van Riemsdyk - Pavelski - Kessel

Brown - Backes - Callahan

Pacioretty - Statsny - Oshie

Stepan, Wheeler

Suter - Carlson

McDonagh - Shattenkirk

Martin - Faulk

Fowler, Orpik

Quick

Miller

This is going to be tougher than the Latvia game and that one nearly gave me a heart attack.

Canada 3 - U.S. 2 in OT

Ya I'm not as concerned about this game. We have had trouble scoring against trap teams. Well we know the USA won't be playing a trap. So I'm expecting a pretty open flowing game which I think favors us, and will give our forwards that little boost. I wouldn't be surprised if we finally see Crosby take over a game

Why would Sharp be the extra forward after scoring for us today?

Babcock changes the lines up frequently so I try not to get too bogged down getting the combos right. As long as I have the right guys that are playing, I figure that's adequate for the GDT.

Canada didn't deserve to win against Latvia and USA has had everything clicking for them since game 1

USA wins 4-2

How did they not deserve to win? It was tight game score wise, but watching it sort of looked like a 60 minute powerplay..

i'm not sure if canada is complacent or if Latvia just had an effective system, but sometimes i wonder if it's difficult for big time favourites to play smaller, significantly less-talented teams like in this case. i wonder how much of this was technicality and skill, and how much of it, if any, was psychological?

i can't imagine team Canada sleeping or underrating the American team, which is full of friends and rivals

Canada didn't deserve to win against Latvia and USA has had everything clicking for them since game 1

USA wins 4-2

Usa has a blowout against Slovakia no surprise they have been awful all through this then face Russia and nearly lose needing a shootout for a win and some lucky calls then face Slovenia win 5-1 again no surprise for the quarterfinal facing the Czech again weak competition

so as much as people wanna believe Usa has this powerhouse team take a look at their games when they actually had to face some quality competition and with Russia i use that term loosely they nearly lose they have had the easiest road to the Semi-final

i'm not sure if canada is complacent or if Latvia just had an effective system, but sometimes i wonder if it's difficult for big time favourites to play smaller, significantly less-talented teams like in this case. i wonder how much of this was technicality and skill, and how much of it, if any, was psychological?

i can't imagine team Canada sleeping or underrating the American team, which is full of friends and rivals

I think it was the system.

It was like the entire game Latvia was playing for the tie, hoping to beat Canada in the shootout. The only time they did anything different was that trick set-play that tied the game up.

I think it's going to be a totally different game against the Americans where both teams will be playing for the win.

I know Canada has a chance but from what I have seen I believe that USA is the best team in this tournament.

They are the fastest and can play physical if need be.

Trust me, there is nothing I love more than a Brian Burke angry/pissed off reaction to make my day, but Burke did a great job with his selections. Speed kills. The only thing I could argue was how low it was for him to throw certain players cough Bobby Ryan cough under the bus.

+ I want Kesler to win something for once. The guy deserves it.

2010 was enough for me to be able to immediately accept any defeat from the US.

This should be a fun one to watch. Will be interesting to see how the D does against an offence as potent as USA's.

If our forwards can barely score against teams like Latvia and Norway, I don't know how they'll manage to score against USA. Doesn't help that Tavares is out.

I'm thinking USA wins this one. Though Canada could win if everything goes right for them.

Also are there still shootouts at this stage in the tournament? I hope not.

Archived