The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA VS FINLAND BRONZE MEDAL MATCH

-DLC-

Here's an interesting article (below) that kind of supports what I'm thinking and have always said..."on paper" means nothing. People have slammed Crosby for not being brilliant but perhaps part of that is having the brilliance to adjust to whatever role it is that you need to adapt to? Stepping away from what you know. Defense first seems to be the thinking and if an offensive player is asked to adapt his/her game in order to fulfill another role and can do that in benefiting a team overall, isn't that something special right there?

I don't know...I'm no expert but perhaps the fact that guys like Kessel, Kane, and yes - Kes, are playing as brilliant individuals who are expected to simply do what they do without making the necessary adjustments is to be looked at? Which would make it more about the coaching than the players themselves. That's always been a complaint from some about Kes being a me first player and not using those around him...so maybe there's something to that and Team Canada has that figured out? That you can stack teams with all the best guys in the world but unless they are doing all the little things (too), it won't matter? Scoring won't come if you play most of the game in your own end, etc. Just thinking out loud (scary), but this article seems to make sense to me.

There is no reason for the US team to have collapsed like this and yes, they likely didn't bring themselves back up to the level of compete needed again today. Just as the Canucks deflated after the SC loss, it's clearly evident when a team "loses" a medal and has to get right back up the next day to try for another, lesser one. The mental game is huge. And so is the ability to focus less on what players can do individually and more on what they NEED to do collectively. It seems some teams neglect that to some degree and just place all their chips on one gameplan that is you and you and you are the best...but if it isn't panning out, you have to tweak things.

http://www.canada.co...comes-to-hockey

I do think that part of the key to success is being able to adapt and be versatile...I also think this is part of JT's mentality.

I know some will dispute this and say "no, Crosby needs to score" and I agree. But if the team is finding success perhaps the overall formula is greater than that? Kind of like why I have patience with Burr (although we're not finding success, so it's a bit different). But sometimes you have to look beyond the flash and brilliance to see the inner workings.

Not sure whats better, to watch Selanne have a hell of a game or the USA being demolished..

Finland has a Population 5M

USA has a population of 300M

Ouch...

And how much of that population plays hockey? Or is even in a cold weather area?

USA or Finland? ;)

I can tell you that it is...

Lack of heart from Americans. You wanted gold, but you didn't get it. Too bad. You don't quit. You are representing your country and should do the best you can regardless of circumstances.

Too be fair, any one of us would've been depressed.

USA or Finland? ;)

I can tell you that it is...

I think you and everyone else knows which one I am talking about lol. (U.S. just incase someone really didn't know)

One other thing about population is that it doesn't matter how many people you have in your country, in the end there can only be 23 players on the roster.

If it was truly about population then China and India would have all the medals, and both of them barely have any as far as I know.

Sami Salo was crying, Kimmo Timonen was crying a bit... even the interviewer Kaj Kunnas was crying when he was talking to Teemu... All of wich will end their careers on the international stage now. Touching like no other. Only if it were gold... That would really have been something.

To those criticizing the Americans for losing this game, it should be noted that North Americans in general only care about winning gold. Bronze is just another loser's medal in their minds.

Think back to what happened in the Bronze medal game in Nagano...

Sami Salo was crying, Kimmo Timonen was crying a bit... even the interviewer Kaj Kunnas was crying when he was talking to Teemu... All of witch will end their careers on the international stage now. Touching like no other. Only if it were gold... That would really have been something.

Sami <3

He will always have my heart. And be a Canuck to me.

And he helped my wallet for $100 or so when he scored on the PP with one of his blistering slapshots and won me the cash long ago.

Good on him. That makes it all worth it to me.

Minnesota has a larger population then the country of Finland. #Truth

Last time I checked Minnesota is a pretty cold place where hockey is rampant.

Population isn't everything. Minnesota is the biggest hockey state yes but bottom line is that the U.S. never had a huge hockey tradition. I don't know why it only surged when the MoI happened since it was in the country for like a century before that, but that's just how it went.

Archived