The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bäckström didn't play due to testing positive for illegal substances

Goat James

He has been using it for 7 years. So why was he allowed to play in 2010 without any issue? Wouldn't have changed the outcome but its a bunch of bull from the IOC.

Feel bad for Backstrom and team Sweden. Like what is he supposed to do all of sudden stop taking his medicine and risk serious sickness?! I know it is not safe to all of sudden stop taking or change a medication after being on it for so long.

He has been using it for 7 years. So why was he allowed to play in 2010 without any issue? Wouldn't have changed the outcome but its a bunch of bull from the IOC.

Feel bad for Backstrom and team Sweden. Like what is he supposed to do all of sudden stop taking his medicine and risk serious sickness?! I know it is not safe to all of sudden stop taking or change a medication after being on it for so long.

It's stated in the article that athletes are allowed to take it as long as they don't exceed a certain level.

There's no feeling bad for Backstrom here. Olympians have gotta know the rules and whether what they might be taking could put them at risk for something like this.

Weird because it says he's been taking the same pills for 10 years and has been fine with drug testing till now.

Awful timing. Sweden's gonna be pissed about this. I hate that it overshadows our win just a little with people saying we were gifted the gold. We were the best team anyways. Dominant by a long shot. This gold was ours

On one hand, I was disappointed to learn that Sweden had to play without Henrik, Zetterberg AND Backstrom. A full Sweden team with their C's (all #1 material of course) would have given Team Canada a much bigger challenge. On the other hand, if this was to happen to Team Canada (say, Stamkos/Sid/Toews), we probably will still pull a great performance due to our high number of talents, especially down middle. While it's a bummer that we couldn't see a more high level match, we do field a better team with a much stronger depth and should be rewarded for it.

It's stated in the article that athletes are allowed to take it as long as they don't exceed a certain level.

There's no feeling bad for Backstrom here. Olympians have gotta know the rules and whether what they might be taking could put them at risk for something like this.

Well if they know he takes it out, highly doubt he took more than usual to try to hide something or gain an advantage somehow. Don't know how taking an allergy medication could possibly give you any advantage..

Again if this were Toews or Getzlaf, you would be singing a different tune. In my opinion it is complete bs.

Well if they know he takes it out, highly doubt he took more than usual to try to hide something or gain an advantage somehow. Don't know how taking an allergy medication could possibly give you any advantage..

Again if this were Toews or Getzlaf, you would be singing a different tune. In my opinion it is complete bs.

Rules are rules.

Do you blame the rules or the athlete that doesn't follow them?

They put these regulations in place for a reason, they're not just arbitrary. When medals are decided by 10ths of a second, any drug that gives an athlete a slight advantage, no matter how small, has to be banned.

If I were an Olympic athlete I wouldn't even be taking cough medicine if I knew it could hurt my chances of competing.

Rules are rules.

They put these regulations in place for a reason, they're not just arbitrary. When medals are decided by 10ths of a second, any drug that gives an athlete a slight advantage, no matter how small, has to be banned.

If I were an Olympic athlete I wouldn't even be taking cough medicine if I knew it could hurt my chances of competing.

This.

Honestly, if you want to be 100% safe, take nothing.

Rules are rules.

Taking a cough medicine once is different than someone being on a prescription medication for 7 years. What do you expect him to do? I guess if Jonas Gustavsson's medication for his heart had a banned substance in it, he should just stop taking it for the Olympics and risk his life. Makes sense.

With the way Canada's D played wouldnoy have made a difference if he was there. Zetterberg and Hank might, MIGHT, have made a difference.

Zetterberg and hank might? You're talking about elite players over 3rd line centers. They most certainly would have made a difference.

What a fool for thinking he can take Calritin! :bigblush:

And without a doubt if they had Hank, Zetterberg, and backstrom their team would have had a much better chance against us without a doubt!

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Zetterberg-Backstom-Alfredsson

Steen-Berglund-Landsekog

Silfverberg-Kruger-Hagelins

Ericsson/Nyquist

Would have been like us missing Crosby, Getzlaf, and Toews

Either way we da best :towel:

What you guys doesn't seem to know is that the substance that Backstrom is taking isn't entirely unacceptable. It's acceptable to a degree. Backstrom couldn't play 'cause he took an "overdose". The substance was medicine against pollen alergy. He was tested on Wednesday after the Slovenia game, IOK are supposed to report to Sweden 24-48 hours later. They didn't. So Sweden thought there wasn't any problem here. Instead, they tell them just 2 hours before the final that Backstrom can't play. No swede has been saying that Sweden would have won if Backstrom would have played. No one.

yeah, his 4 assists in 5 games would really have tipped the scales. Of course, they'd actually have to touch the puck for that to happen.

He was arguably their biggest offensive threat, so it's a big loss. And basing his play off of stats doesn't tell the whole story. Toews and Crosby have played much better than their stats indicate.

Taking a cough medicine once is different than someone being on a prescription medication for 7 years. What do you expect him to do? I guess if Jonas Gustavsson's medication for his heart had a banned substance in it, he should just stop taking it for the Olympics and risk his life. Makes sense.

Claritin isn't a prescription medication last time I checked. And pollen allergies are hardly life threatening.

If Gustavsson's medication had a banned substance in it, which I doubt it does, then he would have to ask for a special exemption or not play. It sucks, but rules are rules. When you start bending them for different athletes that's when you open a can of worms.

How so? Apparently he's been taking this for a while, and the NHL has no problem with it.

NHL and IOC banned substances are different so what he got away with in the NHL means nothing.

People think, "oh what's the big deal it's just allergy medication". But when these competitions are literally decided by fractions of a second, drugs that contain stimulants can make that extra difference.

Of course it likely wouldn't have had much of an effect for Backstrom, but they've gotta have a strict drug policy for all athletes to maintain credibility. It's up to the athletes to know and follow the rules, or not compete.

Rules are rules.

exactly, you can't have bendable rules.......their apply across the board, or don't have them. Disagree with the rule all you want, but every country knows which substances are banned and at what levels, they should have done their homework long before the Olympics. Sounds to me like it was a "well it's highly unlikely you get chosen for a random test, so don't worry about it". They should have known better, and it's on Sweden and no one else.

And no one can tell me backstrom would have made any difference in that outcome, I watched the Swedish games in the tournament and Backstrom was not a difference maker.......certainly not enough to counter the Canadian defence. I do agree it sucks that Canada didn't get to face the best that Sweden had to offer though.

Athletes who have been diagnosed with allergies and are receiving treatment from their doctor should get medical clearance beforehand.

The problem is that some people are too young to remember how the East German women Olympians used to look like dudes.

I believe they can apply for an exemption can't they? Which the swedish olympic committee should have done, but didn't. I get that people think it's a dumb rule, but it's not like it's written in the fine print on the very back page. sas Deniro says, if you bend the rule for one guy, where do you draw the line?

Did you even read the article?

"Mark Aubry, chief physician for IIHF, said that Backstrom wasn't attempting any doping and was using it as a cold medication. “There is no doping in this instance," he said. "He is an innocent victim. We support him strongly. Doping is not allowed, but this is not a case of doping.”

Remember when Jose Theodore tested positive for taking pills for anti balding.

Coverup. They're all doping. ;)

Archived