The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bäckström didn't play due to testing positive for illegal substances

Goat James

I don't believe that this was accidental for a second. Team Sweden stated that it was due to "medical issues" and then said that he had migraine. They wouldn't lie like that if there wasn't something fishy going on...

It's allowed in the NHL, but not in the internationals.. maybe he didn't know?

I don't believe that this was accidental for a second. Team Sweden stated that it was due to "medical issues" and then said that he had migraine. They wouldn't lie like that if there wasn't something fishy going on...

It was an allergy medication he has been taking for 7 years.

6 players have failed the doping policy at the Olympics this year and 5 of them were positive for minor stimulants found in common food supplements.

Even outside of this in the NFL and MLB a few players have tested positive for simply changing an allergy medicine or taking an over the counter product when they get sick. At this point teams recommend that players have every supplement and medication they take get approved by the team doctor simply because they are familiar with whats in these things as well as the long list of banned substances that is often changed and altered every year.

If anything it's less suspicious with Backstrom because he has been taking it for 7 years and likely thought it wasn't an issue to keep taking a product that wasn't an issue before.

Thanks for the background Florence. It's unfortunate that these sorts of things keep happening, but it really is inexcusable, IMO. The list of banned substances is available to all athletes and it's incumbent on the various Olympic committees to make sure all of their athletes are aware of them.

I'm not a doctor, but I think there must be a way of clearing this type of substance from your system prior to an international competition, even something one has been taking for seven years. If it wasn't, the Swedish program should have taken someone else.

Archived