The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] "Teams eyeing down Kesler & Edler" - Ownership prevented Kesler trade

Elkund rumors it's down to a 2 team offer:

Philly offering Simmonds, Laughton,a first and a conditional 3rd

Pittsburgh offering bennett, sutter and maatta only if Hansen is added

Edler for Sheahan and Nyquist

Canucks target Callahan and Cammalleri in offseason

On the Pens pages over at HFBoards, they actually list Maatta as one of their untouchables.

I also read today where there play-by-play guy Mike Lange said that Maatta is the best defence prospect he's seen on the Pens in 40 years. Bennett also seems to be extremely highly valued. I've seen neither of them play so I really don't know what their value might be.

Sutter seems to be the designated trade fodder du jour as they basically can't get rid of him fast enough and have him in pretty well every trade scenario.

On the Pens pages over at HFBoards, they actually list Maatta as one of their untouchables.

I also read today where there play-by-play guy Mike Lange said the Maatta is the best defence prospect he's seen on the Pens in 40 years. Bennett also seems to be extremely highly valued. I've seen neither of them play so I really don't know what their value might be.

Sutter seems to be the designated trade fodder du jour as they basically can't get rid of him fast enough.

I believe BB is currently injured as well...

I love how "reporting" stories nowadays involves posing a question without having to prove any sort of credibility or provide a source.

Everyone is taking notes from Fox News apparently.

And TSN strikes yet again. Now that they throw this out there, every "insider" wannabe is trying to put their own spin on it. Just what the Canucks need during their stretch drive is more distractions.

TSN employs a bunch of unprofessional, eastern biased goofballs.

I haven't watched tsn in years for precisely those reasons. Have no tolerance for any of them except maybe Bob Mckenzie

I would do either Kesler trade, prefer Philly,

I would do Detroit trade as well.

Team would change overnight. WOWZA that would be great.

I love how "reporting" stories nowadays involves posing a question without having to prove any sort of credibility or provide a source.

Everyone is taking notes from Fox News apparently.

And TSN strikes yet again. Now that they throw this out there, every "insider" wannabe is trying to put their own spin on it. Just what the Canucks need during their stretch drive is more distractions.

TSN employs a bunch of unprofessional, eastern biased goofballs.

I haven't watched tsn in years for precisely those reasons. Have no tolerance for any of them except maybe Bob Mckenzie

And what exactly do we "have"?

I still think we have a good team that needs an infusion of youth and skill. That trade and our current prospects will help that.

There's no rush to move Kesler now unless it is a home run deal. That would be an overreaction.

I take it by your question that you don't believe we have anything?

Kesler to Chicago for Teravainen, Pirri and a 1st round pick. Makes sense for both teams. It would have to be a trade at the draft though.

Pirri is equivalent to Schroeder and is nothing special. Overrated if anything. Also, would need Saad in a deal if we give Kesler ESPECIALLY to the Hawks, a conference rival. Teravainen is good yea but don't know if he can translate it to NA hockey but who knows. Rather not take that risk since all those pieces are unproven whereas Saad would at least give is a level of certainty.

I'd like that philly deal for kesler and the detroit deal for Edler, we would need a centre though

Nyquist & Simmonds would look great in our lineup. some much needed offence Nyquist is on pace for 63 points over 82 game and simmonds 58 both more than Kesler.

throw in a 1'st & Sheahan & it looks pretty good,

I still think we have a good team that needs an infusion of youth and skill. That trade and our current prospects will help that.

There's no rush to move Kesler now unless it is a home run deal. That would be an overreaction.

I take it by your question that you don't believe we have anything?

I don't believe we have nearly the competitive team people think we do. Hope I'm wrong.

EDIT:

And not to mention the fact that players are not happy about being here. Luongo and now you can (probably) add Kesler to the list.

So yeah. Arguably your two best/most consistent players don't really want to be here. What does that tell you? What is it that we have here?

I would do either Kesler trade, prefer Philly,

I would do Detroit trade as well.

Team would change overnight. WOWZA that would be great.

Defining Keslers style of play...He leaves nothing on the table.I've always thought that he is going to have a fairly short career..There's no doubt that his trade value would be highest this deadline or offseason...Any major cup contending team that acquires him would definitely be the odds on fav to win a cup (providing he's healthy ).

I think you undervalue Schenn. All lines are not linear. Couturier was a complete player and physically mature when drafted, which strangely was a knock against him at the draft which is why he fell, and Schenn is an evolution. Schenn has also been shuffled around the line-up, and from wing to centre and back, where Couturier was allowed to know his role instantly. Both are excellent players who will only get better.

Schenn's D does need work but he has more offensive tools than Couturier. He'll also be cheaper to acquire and that could mean we are able to get another player like Hagg back as well as a 1st, probably more… assuming we are talking about Kesler.

Now…. if we are talking about Edler then we have a different picture. That won't get us Couturier, I don't think. Philly won't move him for that IMHO. However, it may get us Schenn and maybe Hagg.

Look at that situation… we haven't moved Kesler, have acquired a young offensive player who can play wing (hence not needing to be the best FO man or defensive player) and we added a young D to help replace Eddie down the road. Diaz has looked good and if we can get healthy we may not suffer too much on the backend to add a big piece up front.

If we don't like what we see then we listen about Kesler at the draft.

One of the rare times we'll have to disagree I guess.

I don't like the idea of moving Kesler with Schenn as the primary - imo not a great fit in the lineup to have Kesler become an absence and Henrik, Schenn, Schroeder down the middle with Richardson anchoring it - I want more balance and more of a two way guy in Couturier. I'd be most interested in players like ROR/pick, Dubinsky/Jenner, (or young guys in the mold of Bjugstad or Brock Nelson - off the map on this particular deal).

If Edler were dealt and Kesler retained, perhaps Schenn as a winger for Kesler would make sense, but I'm not particularly convinced that dealing a blueliner for a forward is a very good idea, particularly when both injuries and the relative depth of the prospect pool at forward is considered. An Edler deal returning Coburn and Schenn and I'd be a lot warmer to the idea.

If there's such thing as a hockey boner, I just got one. I don't think we need Laughton tbh since we have Horvat and Gaunce. I'd look at trying to get Couturier instead although that may seem repetitive as well.

Sedin - Sedin - Simmonds

Nyquist - Couturier - Kassian

Higgins - Horvat - Burrows

Sestito - Richardson - Archibald

That is one nastyyyyyy looking forward group.

One of the rare times we'll have to disagree I guess.

I don't like the idea of moving Kesler with Schenn as the primary - imo not a great fit in the lineup to have Kesler become an absence and Henrik, Schenn, Schroeder down the middle with Richardson anchoring it - I want more balance and more of a two way guy in Couturier. I'd be most interested in players like ROR/pick, Dubinsky/Jenner, (or young guys in the mold of Bjugstad or Brock Nelson - off the map on this particular deal).

If Edler were dealt and Kesler retained, perhaps Schenn as a winger for Kesler would make sense, but I'm not particularly convinced that dealing a blueliner for a forward is a very good idea, particularly when both injuries and the relative depth of the prospect pool at forward is considered. An Edler deal returning Coburn and Schenn and I'd be a lot warmer to the idea.

this could be one of the reasons for the Weise for Diaz trade. not that you need a reason it was a good trade regardless

look at our top 6 d-men when healthy without Edler

Hamhuis Bieksa

Garrison Tanev

Stanton Diaz

Corrado

next year replace Diaz for Corrado, although we could re-sign him

I love the idea of trading Edler for a young forward like Schenn especially if we get a pick too. we need offence and as far as depth goes how hard is it to find 6,7,8'th defensemen

Looking at the schedule I do not see anything being done till Wed. Due to the Tues game being a good shake out gauge for rebuild or go for it this year.

So what are the thoughts on the Pen deal being leaked?

I am a bit worried because of the Nonis/Dredger garbage that went down last year with the LU trade.

Its that and Gillis is being played again or its a sign that we are trying to drive the cost up,hopefully the latter.

this could be one of the reasons for the Weise for Diaz trade. not that you need a reason it was a good trade regardless

look at our top 6 d-men when healthy without Edler

Hamhuis Bieksa

Garrison Tanev

Stanton Diaz

Corrado

next year replace Diaz for Corrado, although we could re-sign him

I love the idea of trading Edler for a young forward like Schenn especially if we get a pick too. we need offence and as far as depth goes how hard is it to find 6,7,8'th defensemen

My goodness that is a brutal d corps I'm sorry. I think folks here massively overrate Tanev.

Archived