The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] "Teams eyeing down Kesler & Edler" - Ownership prevented Kesler trade

I will make this clear to MG since he is blind

WE have no actual top 6 wingers and enough legit centre man to trade kesler away. Kesler is the only player who can raise his game in the playoffs. Kesler needs a winger too play with. Lose kesler then we mine as we'll trade everyone else away. You can't find a guy like kesler that does everything great on the ice so why trade him? When one he's in his prime 2. We are short on centre man and he never had a legit top 6 forward to play with yet. Trade edler for a winger.

Edler sucks. Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

You can argue with me all you want, but that won't change my opinion on Edler.

Tanev +8

Hamhuis +7

Stanton +5

Garrison -4

Bieksa +3

Edler - 23

That's garbage. None of our other regular D men are anywhere near that terrible stat.

In this case, it's NOT a team stat. Clearly our other Dmen, including the one who plays with Edler, know how to defend. Edler doesn't

Oh yes. The +/-

Sorry that I was so oblivious to the fact that this is the lone stat/quality that determines a players worth.

Nice evidence bud. You have yet to prove to me why a GM wouldn't trade a top-6 forward for Edler, because clearly there are some that would. Don't pretend that they are idiots and that you know more.

I guess you don't want Jay Bouwmeester with his career +/-

We're better off keeping Kesler I think. Unless it is a very good deal in return.

Look at our center depth without him. Henrik isn't lighting it up anymore either. Especially look at our depth if Henrik sustains another injury at some point. Kesler gone leaves a huge hole. Edler's absence can be patched up.

Exactly. Point proven.

Oh yes. The +/-

Sorry that I was so oblivious to the fact that this is the lone stat/quality that determines a players worth.

Nice evidence bud. You have yet to prove to me why a GM wouldn't trade a top-6 forward for Edler, because clearly there are some that would. Don't pretend that they are idiots and that you know more.

I guess you don't want Drew Doughty with his career +/-

Based on his logic Karlsson, Weber, Yandle are all plugs.

Ottawa is extremely high on Zib, and wont be trading Turris. Theyre looking to strengthen their chances... not leave a hole in their forward group.

Id be looking at Ceci, Lazar, pick for Edler. (Which btw is close to what I think the actual asking price is)

Ceci is a right handed shot with good size, who plays a two way game with top 4 potential. Lazar is yet another 2 way C/W who plays a bullish game. He's a team leader, shoots right, and plays in all situations, much like Horvat.

Oh yes. The +/-

I guess you don't want Jay Bouwmeester with his career +/-

The best part is that people forget before Edler got suspended/injured is that he was playing with literally EVERYONE on the blue line. He had a new D partner every night

Based on his logic Karlsson, Weber, Yandle are all plugs.

Funny thing about those guys is they actually put up points when playing sketchy defence. Edler plays bad D and is invisible most nights offensively. He needs a change of scenery really badly. He's no plug but he's definitely under achieving. Nice comparisons by the way....

Ottawa is extremely high on Zib, and wont be trading Turris. Theyre looking to strengthen their chances... not leave a hole in their forward group.

Id be looking at Ceci, Lazar, pick for Edler. (Which btw is close to what I think the actual asking price is)

Ceci is a right handed shot with good size, who plays a two way game with top 4 potential. Lazar is yet another 2 way C/W who plays a bullish game. He's a team leader, shoots right, and plays in all situations, much like Horvat.

Turris and Zib untouchable but Ceci is on his way out? He is their hometown boy that is going to be big for them in the not so distant future...Thought was already announced he was untouchable?

Turris and Zib untouchable but Ceci is on his way out? He is their hometown boy that is going to be big for them in the not so distant future...Thought was already announced he was untouchable?

I know for a fact that Lazar (one of my favourite centre prospects in the game) is untouchable, but not sure about Zib.

Wouldn't doubt it though.

Here is what people need to understand.

This core couldn't do it. noe of the most dominant teams statistically speaking in the regular season in NHL history and one of the more dominant in playoff history and they couldn't get it done. Kesler will never surpass 80 points again. never, I am sorry to say. he is a top 6 winger or a 3rd line center. he is NOT both

Edler is a solid D man.

People need to understand very simply put. NO bandaid is going to fix this team. Trade Edler, we need a point getting D man capable of 40+ point seasons AND still need a Puck Moving D man

Trade Kesler we need a #2 center and a top 6 winger as well to play with the Sedins and a 2a/2b winger to take over Keslers spot

This is about the point in time people have to understand that unless Gillis sells the farm getting back Campbell, Letang, Kane, Wheeler, Spezza or the like. This team will become the Flames in 2 seasons or less. Better prospects but not god enough for the playoffs, not bad enough for the lottery win.

Gillis has to bite the bullet. if there is a deal for these 2 guys that nets a 1st round pick in 2014 or 2015 + a blue chip sure fire NHL prospect (possibly++ after their olympic showing) it HAS to be done. I remember what happened after 94. I remember the 80's and late 90's and how bad the team was.

I do NOT want to wallow in mediocrity for 3 seasons before they realize they need to blow it up.

IF we can go ahead and get solid value for Kesler and Edler, we can retool and be ready to play with an uber young team, new players via UFA and have solid mentors and rookies entering our system every single season for the next 4 to 5 seasons.

Next year will see Lain and Horvat/Gaunce/Archibald/Grenier enter the team. Following year Shinkaruk/Gaunce Horvat/Cassels etc. get the idea?

If we can just accept that it will take this and next season to figure it all out then we become comparable to the Blues, Avs, Bolts etc where we went from great to mediocre to bad to top of the heap again in 3 seasons or less.

Is it worth it to draft a Dal Colle, Virtanen, Fleury this year and have a shot at MacDavid next season before moving forward with a plethora of top prospects and hungry Canadian based rookies?

Or is it more worth it right now to try and sell edler OR Kesler and then figure out how to fill the holes they left AND still try to fill the holes that were already there?

We have more problems with this team than fans and management will admit to. Now is the time to do it

If the worst case is this year a top 10 pick, next year a top 5 pick and the following year either competing or getting a chance at Chycrun (sp?) I take the 2 or 3 season rebuild and then compete with the twins in their last season or 2 and get them a cup before they are 40

Flame away, but you'll be hard pressed to admit that my assessment is wrong.

Edler sucks. Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

You can argue with me all you want, but that won't change my opinion on Edler.

Tanev +8

Hamhuis +7

Stanton +5

Garrison -4

Bieksa +3

Edler - 23

That's garbage. None of our other regular D men are anywhere near that terrible stat.

In this case, it's NOT a team stat. Clearly our other Dmen, including the one who plays with Edler, know how to defend. Edler doesn't

:picard: :picard: You sound like such a idiot right now

Edler played most of his games in November and January when our entire team was SUCKING BIG TIME. He and garrison were so bad together that is the real problem going into december

Garrison was -5

Edler was -8

in January

Garrison was -5

Edler was -6

You will see this pattern for every D man this year and most of them recovered their plus minus in december while edler didn't cause he was injured. That's why his is so much worse than everyone else's. So please anyone who judges him by his plus minus remember that.

Bob Mckenzie via Insider Trading. Says now that Olympic trade freeze has been lifted, numerous teams are looking at Kes and Edler. Sedin's are only untouchables on the roster and teams want to see if those 2 can be had.

...highly, highly doubt Kesler is traded since MG just said he wants to get a player for him and as for Edler, there is a ton of interest still. Even Mckenzie says he's still a top dman and that's how many teams see him as well as MG; just needs a change of scenario.

I predict Kesler gets a legit linemate to play with and it'll be with the return of trading away Edler. When you give away someone with the talent of Edler, you best get a proven NHLer as the basis of the deal rather than picks/prospects unless if they are top notch prospects.

Unless Kesler gets us Weber, and Edler gets us a legit 2nd line centre, there's now way they both get moved. That would be like trading your starting goalie, and MVP for a draft pick. ;)

GM's make mistakes and trade for crappy players all the time. They don't have the time to watch every single game, if you can find one that actually believes Edler is worth acquiring and is willing to pay, pull that trigger. Should have been done at the draft when there were no restrictions, a ton of possibilities, and the rest of the league had yet to catch onto him sucking so bad...but whateva.

Archived