The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Bolland asking Leafs for 8 year deal worth $40+ mill

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-trades/toronto-maple-leafs-dave-bolland-seeks-long-term-extension-7-or-8-years/

Dave Bolland has played just 15 games in a Toronto Maple Leafs uniform, yet the pending unrestricted free agent is seeking a new seven or eight-year deal from the club, according to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos.

The total salary the 27-year-old Bolland is seeking over that term could exceed $40 million.

Bolland’s current contract, which expires on July 1, carries a $3.375 million cap hit. The Leafs acquired the centre from the Chicago Blackhawks in exchange for the No. 51 and No. 117 picks in the 2013 draft, and the Leafs’ fourth-round pick in 2014.

A native of Mimico, Ont., Bolland quickly became a favourite of Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle. In addition to killing penalties, he scored six goals with four assists through 15 games this season before suffering a lacerated ankle tendon on Nov. 2 against the Vancouver Canucks.

Bolland is expected to return to the lineup soon, but his status is uncertain for the Leafs’ next game, which takes place Thursday in Long Island against the Islanders.

Looool, this is hilarious! That's what you get Leafs/Nonis when you don't have a team cap structure. Throw around money like it's candy well, this is the after effect. Giving Clarkson - a 3rd liner - all that wasn't good enough, makes sense other players would want to cash in too according to Clarkson. Phaneuf wants a ton, Bolland does too...good days for the Leafs. Made the playoffs once in a shortened season and messed up what could've been of a solid retool.

"made the playoffs in a shortened season" True, but we've been in a playoff spot all year. That's more than I can say about Vancouver. As for Bolland, I don't blame him for wanting that for reasons you stated. Clarkson....... I hate him so much. He's like our Burrows.

I wouldn't mind 5m x 3 or 4m x 8. But that's insane for a 3rd liner to ask for that much term and $$$. I doubt he'd be seeking that if we didn't have Clarkson.

At the moment, that's the worst contract in the NHL. (Burrows is up there).

I know this makes absolutely no sense, but when you look at it from Bolland's perspective, compared to Clarkson

Bolland 120 less games

Bolland 2 less pts

Bolland 25 less goals (but same GPG average)

Bolland 2 years younger.

Bolland 2 Stanley Cup

Toronto just signed Clarkson to 7 years @ 5.25 cap hit. Why would Bolland ask the leaf less than Clarkson's, based on those stats ????

People seem shocked and appalled that another human being wants money for whatever odd reason.

The cap has gone up and players are signing bigger and bigger contracts each passing year. It will go up again this offseason and we will see many more large contracts that seem odd.

These are negotiations though. Keep in mind most players will ask for an amount even higher than they expect to get and the team or teams will make counter offers. His goal likely isn't that high or long. But if his agent sells it well and gets one team to cave then more power to him.

That's more than I can say about Vancouver.

He's like our Burrows.

(Burrows is up there).

What the hell is with the random attack on Vancouver? I have no problem with the Leafs and I generally find that you are pretty level headed when it comes to your comments on this board, but that is just plain trolling.

If you want to start talking about playoff spots lets factor in the last decade and your post is starting to look more and more like garbage.

Then you take a couple of shots at Burrows? for what purpose? to illicit a response from Canuck fans? what the hell does Burrows have to do with the money Bolland is looking for? You hate Clarkson cause he is like the Leaf's Burrows?

Obviously you have no idea what Burrows has done for this organization, during his prime years Burrows was being paid about a half of what he was worth because he is a team player.

Clarkson only signed with TO because the drove truck loads of money to his front door. Nevermind the fact that he was raised there you'd think he may have taken less than market value.

Yes Burrows might not be performing to his level but he has something Clarkson will never have and that is heart and loyalty. To compare the two is pathetic and ignorant and coming from a place with absolutely no knowledge of what Burrows has brought to this team.

Hey here's a crazy idea, if you're going to post on Canucks forums why don't you actually watch a few Canuck games outside of when they play TO... might give you a frame or reference before you post whatever ignorance spews from your fingertips.

Why do you even come to these boards? TO doesn't have any good fourms for you to bash the Canucks on?

@Joffrey Lupul

Another Leafs fan on a Canucks board? LOL. What's with this? you just getting ready to jump the Canuck bandwagon when your team struggles?

Clarkson is like your Burrows? Obviously you don't know crap about what Burrows has done and means to this team. Typical leaf fan.

Burrows is much more to this team than Clarkson is to any team. He blocks shots, emotional leader, scores clutch goals (game 7 vs Chicago), and has scored more than 20 goals more times than Clarkson had in his career. Yet Clarkson gets paid more. Clarkson isn't even in the same ballpark as Burrows so don't even compare them. Also, look at the past decade when comparing the leafs to the canucks. For your sake, hopefully the leafs don't choke again in the playoffs after being up by 3 goals in the last half of the third period.

Ya know. A 27 year old 2 time cup winner the guy who scored the cup winning goal at $5 million a year in 3-4 years will look like a frigging bargain for that club in ways that Clarkson will never achieve

He is a solid player on every level, young fast agitating and capable of putting up decent numbers all while being a stud playoff performer.

If Burrows at his age is worth over $4 million a year damned rights in 4 years Bolland is worth $5 million

"made the playoffs in a shortened season" True, but we've been in a playoff spot all year. That's more than I can say about Vancouver. As for Bolland, I don't blame him for wanting that for reasons you stated. Clarkson....... I hate him so much. He's like our Burrows.

I wouldn't mind 5m x 3 or 4m x 8. But that's insane for a 3rd liner to ask for that much term and $$$. I doubt he'd be seeking that if we didn't have Clarkson.

QUIT REMINDING US ABOUT THE TRUTH YOU TROLL!

lol

Do you think half of the team being injured at some point ar another had something to do with it?

Referring to the Burrows contract currently being horrible.

I certainly hope that vision-blocker comes off and he finally starts finding the back of the net.

When a team is losing everyone's contract looks horrible.

Archived