The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] via the Score: Penguins made a trade offer for Kesler...

http://thescore.com/news/441523

The NHL rumor mill is heating up in advance of this Wednesday's trade deadline, and it certainly seems as if Vancouver Canucks centerman Ryan Kesler is at the epicenter of all of the rumblings.

According to a report from TribLive.com reporter Rob Rossi, the Pittsburgh Penguins "pitched" the Vancouver Canucks on a potential Kesler deal before the Olympic break. Apparently that deal centered around a package that would've included 25-year-old checking center Brandon Sutter, and 20-year-old prospect Derrick Pouliot.

Presumably Kris Letang's recent health issues could make the Penguins more reluctant to part with a high-end blue-line prospect with Pouliot's pedigree...

Rossi's reported Penguins "pitch" lines up closely with what Sportsnet's Nick Kypreos suggested is Vancouver's current "ask" on Kesler. Supposedly the Canucks are looking for a young roster player, a prospect, and a first round pick in exchange for their former Selke winning forward.

I love Kesler as much as the next fan, and in fact, there was a time when I was certain he would retire as a Canuck. But to be honest, if he wants to leave, then now is the time to do it. His trade value will not get any higher, and frankly, as an organization, we owe it to a guy as competitive as Kesler. He deserves a shot at winning the Cup. Remember, he took a significant pay cut to stay with the Canucks when he signed his extension because of our commitment to win. That did not happen, and it will not happen in next 5 years; excluding the opinions of the most delusional fans, it's plain to see that this team is on the decline, and we need to start looking ahead.

With regards to this trade however, while I like the inclusion of Pouliot, I can't understand why this team would want another 2nd/3rd line checking centre like Sutter? It's pretty much the only position where have depth with both Gaunce and Horvat in the system. This team needs blue chip scoring wingers.

*Edit* Ideally, I would like to see a 1st or 2nd round draft pick included too.

With regards to this trade however, while I like the inclusion of Pouliot, I can't understand why this team would want another 2nd/3rd line checking centre like Sutter? It's pretty much the only position where have depth with both Gaunce and Horvat in the system. This team needs blue chip scoring wingers.

Yeah, the deal makes no sense for a team that is terrible at scoring. If they want to trade a valuable player like Kesler, they should get someone who can score like Neal.

Makes zero sense even in a 1st was included.

Canucks trade a 1/2C for a 3rd line center and a D prospect which we already have some young D (Tanev, Corrado, Stanton) and a first round pick that will likely be in the 22-28 range. No thanks. That does not make this team better now or in the future and now were missing a 2C.

Guess it's good that it wasn't done then eh ;)

Damn, Crosby - Malkin - Kesler!!! Don't know if Kesler wants to go to a place where he is on the 3rd line though.

It sounds nice but I doubt it would play out well if he was the 3C. He plays 24 minutes a game now and was on pace for 52 points in 82 games. If they make him 3C he still plays with scrub wingers but gets even less ice time. His scoring also likely goes down and he becomes a role player.

IMO it would only make sense if they moved him to one of the wings with Crosby or Malkin and used him as a PK center.

If they threw in a 1st this would be just what we need. Derrik is the offensive pmd D man this team lacks in the system and Sutter takes the 2way sting out of loosing Kes and he will mature into a great player. IMO the type of guy for Horvat to come up with.

We miss the playoffs with this trade get an early first on top of Pittys. Deal Edler for the elite winger we need in the offseason and reset. with the shelves stocked.

in 2 years the Lineup

Sedins Okposo/Neal type.

Hunter Sutter Vanek.

Jensen Boho Kassian

Gaunce Lain Cassels

Ham Juice

Poiliot Garri

Stanten Tanev/ Corrado

Pick up a Vet for depth.

Out Kes Edler Burr Higg Hansen Shred you can get a damn good package for that. 20m+ in salary

I think Sutter has more upside than it appears playing in Pitts bottom six and getting scraps for situational opportunities behind their top 6.

I'd be tempted to accept a Sutter deal - if they add a pair of blueline prospects to the deal. Between Maata, Despres, Pouliot, Harrington, Dumoulin, they have young blueline prospects that could round out the Canucks youth and depth on the blueline nicely, and enable them to potentially move a blueliner for a forward, as has been clamored about so much on these boards.

Sutter, Maata, and a third piece and it would be tempting.

I wouldn't do anything less than Sutter, Pouliot, Bennet or Despres and a conditional 1st. If they bite great. if not somebody is going to give an offer that exceeds or matches it eventually.

well now MG can set the bar with that package

Sutter isnt such a slouch either. Takes alot of key faceoffs and is 2nd on the team in taking them. Pouliot is exactly what we need for a pp qb in the future and im sure that Green is jumping up and down for this

but ya....toss in a 1st and im happy

Archived