The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Letter to Mike Gillis Re. Luongo

Santo

Mr. Gillis,

Once again, one of your top assets has been misused. In fact, since the 2011 playoffs ended, your treatment of goaltender Roberto Luongo has been beyond unethical. At this point, it is hard to argue against Luongo's decline, Over the past couple seasons, his confidence has been shot, and his support throughout the organization has been vastly depleted.

You, as a general manager have disgraced this franchise. We no longer attract free agents with our location and benefits. The way you have handled your players has simply ruined Vancouver as a prime destination.

You know the problem, Mike. I believe you are a smart guy. I think you know what's going on here.

This afternoon, Roberto Luongo will once again be disgraced in Vancouver and the hockey world. Only 8 months ago, you traded a player you commited to, For two entire seasons, you persuaded Roberto that you were working on a trade, something to free him from the monotony. Now, your coach has decided to give a first year backup the start in the NHL Heritage Classic. This was not your decision directly, but its no secret that you have a big say in how this team is run.

As a fan, this is very unsettling. The issue here is not simply Tortorella's decision to bench Luongo on the NHL's prime stage. This is a deeper, underlying issue affecting a team that has fallen from the heavens in 3 short years.

If I were you, I would fear for your job. For years, you have promised this fanbase prosperity and success. Since coming here, you have relied on the core built by Dave Nonis. You have added nothing to our core group. This team is headed for a very premature rebuild.

I believe we are united as fans. We are not happy with this club. Not because we are on a "bandwagon", but because we DO care, and we want to see our team have success. This is not happening, Mike.

Knowing you, if by some miracle you ever see this, you will scoff and mock this letter and its writer. But as an aspiring businessman, I can tell you that your real assets are the people filling your seats. Respect them, and fear them. They are the reason you sit in that big fancy chair. Fix this, Mike.

Sincerely,

A fan

***I'm new here guys, but I felt my heart leading me to share my thoughts. Couldn't find a recent similar topic. Thanks for viewing :)

Mr. Gillis,

Once again, one of your top assets has been misused. In fact, since the 2011 playoffs ended, your treatment of goaltender Roberto Luongo has been beyond unethical. At this point, it is hard to argue against Luongo's decline, Over the past couple seasons, his confidence has been shot, and his support throughout the organization has been vastly depleted.

You, as a general manager have disgraced this franchise. We no longer attract free agents with our location and benefits. The way you have handled your players has simply ruined Vancouver as a prime destination.

You know the problem, Mike. I believe you are a smart guy. I think you know what's going on here.

This afternoon, Roberto Luongo will once again be disgraced in Vancouver and the hockey world. Only 8 months ago, you traded a player you commited to, For two entire seasons, you persuaded Roberto that you were working on a trade, something to free him from the monotony. Now, your coach has decided to give a first year backup the start in the NHL Heritage Classic.

As a fan and investor, this is very unsettling. The issue here is not simply the decision to bench Luongo on the NHL's prime stage. This is a deeper, underlying issue affecting a team that has fallen from the heavens in 3 short years.

If I were you, I would fear for your job. For years, you have promised this fanbase prosperity and success. Since coming here, you have relied on the core built by Dave Nonis. You have added nothing to our core group. This team is headed for a very premature rebuild.

I believe we are united as fans. We are not happy with this club. Not because we are on a "bandwagon", but because we DO care, and we want to see our team have success. This is not happening, Mike.

Knowing you, if by some miracle you ever see this, you will scoff and mock this letter and its writer. But as an aspiring businessman, I can tell you that your real assets are the people filling your seats. Respect them, and fear them. They are the reason you sit in that big fancy chair. Fix this, Mike.

Sincerely,

A fan

***I'm new here guys, but I felt my heart leading me to share my thoughts. Couldn't find a recent similar topic. Thanks for viewing :)

Fantastic post. Heartfelt and eloquent. How he still has a job is beyond me.

I thoroughly respect your angle and especially like your statement regarding bandwagoners. You have a unique perspective on the situation that is a breath of fresh air.

Once again, well done.

Since when were the Canucks publicly traded? You said you were an investor.

Poor use of the word. By investor I more or less mean someone who pays into the team. But no, I don't "trade" Canucks, haha.

I didn't know that Mike Gillis was the coach.

Don't be mistaken, Gillis has his foot in this team's decisions. Torts made the call, but Gillis didn't stop him.

Great post.

I've never seen a franchise or fanbase treat one of the best players in its entire history quite like this.

Disgraceful and classless (a word CDC likes to throw around a lot) move by the organisation.

Since when were the Canucks publicly traded? You said you were an investor.

Sports is not just any other business. Fans put their hard earned money with expectations of valued entertainment. When you dont get what you pay for, what you invested for, your more than justified to voice your displeasure. With the Heritage Classic most Canucks fans expected to see the goalie who put this franchise on his back to play in the biggest showcase of the game this city will ever see. He has played well enough this year to earn that spot. He can earn a spot on Team Canada but not to this in his own city? Yes its the coaches call, but the coach answers to the GM. The GM is paid to answer to the fans. The OP is very correct.

Great post.

I've never seen a franchise or fanbase treat one of the best players in its entire history quite like this.

Disgraceful and classless (a word CDC likes to throw around a lot) move by the organisation.

Lack for the win? Lu for the bench? Why here and now? Tenure and respect vs need to win?

People should consider having more realistic expectations. It's not a mistake free job. As the management team, they are trying to do what they think is best. Fans who micromanage every little move or non-move are going to be perpetually disappointed no matter who is in charge.

why does everyone want special treatment for Lu???? you guys act like this is the first time in history a back u goalie has gone on a little run while hes hot.... this happens all the time...and starting goalies are usually supportive and know its going to happen from time to time... but luongo would rather himself play in a trumped up BS "Speacial game" instead of Lack tsay on his hot streak.... Lu will get the net back... and if it wasnt for this stupid "outdoor" game no one would care everyone would know its the right thing to do going with lack today .......vet baseball players find themselves out of the line up for stretches when a young guy gets a hot bat same with RBs in football Lu will get his net back and this whole mess is because of this crap game today... so far many starting goalies for teams playing outdoor games to date have been benched because of this same thing that the back up at the time was playing better and gives the team a better chance to win.... why is it different for Lu?

Well said. Luongo is selected to the Olympic team, shuts out the only opponent he faces, then returns home to find himself benched for the biggest game of the year. I was concerned when Torts arrived, but found myself really impressed with his early work. However, since completely overplaying the Sedin's early in the year, the fiasco in Calgary, and now embarrassing a franchise goalie on a national stage, he's lost me already. Did he not hear about what a disaster the last two-years have been with the never ending talk about goaltending, and inability to trade Luongo? Lack at best gives us a marginal upgrade, but probably not at all, and yet Tort's decides to alienate Luongo for virtually no reason at all. Idiot move.

Fans who micromanage every little move or non-move are going to be perpetually disappointed no matter who is in charge.

Especially if the GM exclaims he will make BOLD MOVES, in the context of turning around franchise! If you were expecting that message to actually mean change, you are a fool and in obvious anguish today, like myself.

People should consider having more realistic expectations. It's not a mistake free job. As the management team, they are trying to do what they think is best. Fans who micromanage every little move or non-move are going to be perpetually disappointed no matter who is in charge.

Except that this 'little move' is looking like it's repeating itself.

Archived