The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can this franchise move on from 1994?

hsedin33

Props to the 1994 group, and for MG who recognized their efforts with the RoH, Jersey retirements, and the reunion today. I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on just how much more of this we can glorify. I don't know many other teams celebrating a failed game 7 from 20 years ago, are we glorifying this loss too much?

Does anyone else think its time that this franchise and its fan base move on?

Hear, hear.

We LOST! Just like in '82 and '11.

But I have to admit the light at the end of the tunnel in '94 was a bit more bright for some reason. Probably because we had more heart or something. Or the Calgary fluke comeback meant anything was possible, etc. Nevertheless, that core group went on to do absolutely nothing else. Just like '82 and '11. Ugh.

As long as the '94 team remains the best we've ever had, we'll keep going back to it.

Let's face it, that team came closer to winning the Cup than the 2011 team.

No blowouts, no humiliation, they almost won it in the third period of the final game... Ronning would have tied it if Messier hadn't already broken his wrist with a slash, and robbed him of the strength to lift a shot off the ice.

It wasn't success though, that's the problem, we celebrate it these days like it was a victory.

It wasn't a cup victory, but it was a success in terms of galvanizing the city, giving the Canucks an identity we never had before, and launching the city's love of the game to never before seen heights.

It's part of our history and even after we win the cup some day, 94 will still be remembered as a landmark season in our history.

Honestly, if you weren't there you wouldn't understand.

94' was magic, there was something special about that run that will probably never be felt again. 82' and 11' weren't even close.

Even if the Canucks had won in 2011, for magic and excitement I would still rate the 94' run higher.

94 was the best days this franchise has ever seen. Most people old enough to remember it, speak fondly about it. And there's no reason to stop if that's the case.

I'm not saying we forget about it, but that we just stop over glorifying it. We forget the cup belongs to the New York Rangers in 1994. We get an 'A' for effort and a few stories to tell, but honestly, that's about it. The team was good, we almost got it, we move on. I dunno, it just feels like its being way overplayed and we forget what it means to celebrate real success.

Honestly, if you weren't there you wouldn't understand.

94' was magic, there was something special about that run that will probably never be felt again. 82' and 11' weren't even close.

Even if the Canucks had won in 2011, for magic and excitement I would still rate the 94' run higher.

Exactly. The fact they came up just short at the end doesn't eradicate all the great fun the two months leading up to it provided. Not even close.

The 94 team will always be glorified, as it should. They were the best team this franchise had assembled in 40+ years. In their inspirational play, they taught the greater life lesson that you don't necessarily have to win it all to be a winner.

Archived