The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can this franchise move on from 1994?

hsedin33

At least the 94 team showed up for Game 7 and played to the final whistle....

agree.. but then seriously this team need to stop referring back to 94... even today, they should have introduce each member instead of all just come out for a few minutes.. just the whole event was a joke today..

Yes sir.

In 94, the Canucks played the undisputed best team all season and battled them even-up right to the end. In game 5 alone (down 3 games to 1), the Canucks took a 3-0 lead, the Rags tied it up within 5 minutes, and then the Canucks dug down and responded with 3 straight of their own for an incredible 6-3 win on the road, with the Cup in the building and the NY fans chanting for it. Memorable stuff.

In 2011, the Canucks were outscored 23-8, melted-down in 3 games, watched a 5'8" rat speedbag their Art Ross winner, had their starting goalie pulled multiple times, and hosted a game 7 where they were never even in the game. Not so memorable.

That's it right there.

The 94 series can objectively be seen as one of the best ever Finals, one for the ages. Only Boston fans might feel that way about '11, that series was a gong show on and off the ice.

That's it right there.

The 94 series can objectively be seen as one of the best ever Finals, one for the ages. Only Boston fans might feel that way about '11, that series was a gong show on and off the ice.

The '94 team had a depth that 2011 did not. I had more confidence in a Pat Quinn than AV. If AV realized what was happening he had no counter. Quinn made the big St. Louis trade that gave him the team needed.

2011 did not have a Linden or MacLean when it was needed.

It is a motivational tactic to tote out the old guys like Robson and Quinn et al. Get the fans all feeling nostalgia so they can feel like they get their moneys worth somehow. Saw how much it fired up our current roster...

Until the Sedin's and Burrows start scoring goals, this team is basically doomed. If I was the owner I would be harrasing them every day. 75 million dollars is a lot of cake, and the fans wont be footing the bill if those three don't wake up.

Props to the 1994 group, and for MG who recognized their efforts with the RoH, Jersey retirements, and the reunion today. I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on just how much more of this we can glorify. I don't know many other teams celebrating a failed game 7 from 20 years ago, are we glorifying this loss too much?

Does anyone else think its time that this franchise and its fan base move on?

Well, Toronto had a frickin parade to celebrate a loss in the 94 conference finals, so I'm pretty sure they have the market cornered on celebrating failure. I guess when it's all you know, it's all you can do. Relishing in the fact we are better than Calgary and Edmonton only goes so far, but I am still quite happy to celebrate the 94 run, we really did deserve a better outcome that time. Linden has more manliness in his pinky finger than Messier has in his entire body...if not what/who he's had inside his body.

Props to the 1994 group, and for MG who recognized their efforts with the RoH, Jersey retirements, and the reunion today. I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on just how much more of this we can glorify. I don't know many other teams celebrating a failed game 7 from 20 years ago, are we glorifying this loss too much?

Does anyone else think its time that this franchise and its fan base move on?

I got better things to think about. Whats wrong with thanking that group of players, they were stellar even if they didn't win. go cheer for Calgary then.

Well, Toronto had a frickin parade to celebrate a loss in the 94 conference finals, so I'm pretty sure they have the market cornered on celebrating failure. I guess when it's all you know, it's all you can do. Relishing in the fact we are better than Calgary and Edmonton only goes so far, but I am still quite happy to celebrate the 94 run, we really did deserve a better outcome that time. Linden has more manliness in his pinky finger than Messier has in his entire body...if not what/who he's had inside his body.

LOL, that's the first time I've heard about this parade, haha.

If you recall, the 1993/1994 team was coming off the two best seasons in franchise history (albeit they feasted on the horrible San Jose Sharks a lot -taking 15/16 points in one of the seasons). This was supposed to be the season they took another huge step, but they underachieved the whole season and ended up a .500 club.

They almost went out with a without much of a fight against Calgary but turned it around for a good run. Based on the entire season, I was not surprised to see if fall apart shortly thereafter.

If you watched Game 7 of the 2011 final Vancouver had their chances in the first period. I was sure they had a good chance unless Boston scored first.

I got better things to think about. Whats wrong with thanking that group of players, they were stellar even if they didn't win. go cheer for Calgary then.

Obviously you don't have better things to do since you still took the time to write a response :P My issue isn't with thanking them, we have done more then plenty of that. I just find that the way its paraded out for the fans and the way its been constantly glorified over the last few years, I feel like I'm getting brainwashed into thinking we actually won something.

Of the three cup runs, 94 remains the most exciting. That Cup final continues to rate as one of the best all time by many Hockey experts. By contrast, 82 and 11 were quite boring in comparison. 82 was decent hockey but a sweep nonetheless. 11 was just bad hockey with 4 blowouts. The 94 run gave us more hockey heros than ever before in this town, with many of those players remaining in BC 20 years later. It was about coming back from the brink time after time. Even game 6 of the final they were trailin halfway through the game and stormed back. Its the only team in Canuck history that showed no quit right to the end. Those players were more heart broken than the fans, to the point where none of them will watch the final game, which was a great game, especially by Trevor Linden.

The memories and intensity of thr emotion generated by that run are second only to the Olympics in 2010. This city hasnt had much else to celebrate in its history, so I don't think the focus on that run will dissapear any time soon

I dont believe they are glorifying the loss... They were complete and utter underdogs that weren't even supposed to make the playoffs. But they were the hardest working bunch of players and the chemistry was undeniable. They overcame 3-1 deficits 3 times to advance to the finals, miraculously beating 3 teams they should have lost to, according to everyone. And countless times were in overtime. Everyone was playing their roles, and were hot at the right times.

If you weren't around to witness it, you really can't understand. Our recent history has been nothing but top spots and awards, back then even winning a game would be a big deal and cause for celebration!

why is 94 remembered ?? because of the thrilling overtime games vs Calgary the save the goals in overtime, bure destroying shane churla u tube that one kicking the leafs butts all over the place and then a great series vs the rangers and a lot of hockey people called it one of the better Stanley cup series of the time , the canucks fought and clawed the way thru it and was a goal post away of what could of been , 2011 sure we slayed the dragon , snooze fest vs Nashville , sharks were hurt and slow, boston our star got speed bagged, a clean hit got full on suspension , the dirtiest hits got sweet f all and campbells son got his cup I wonder which Stanley cup run I want to remember as canuck fan

Archived