The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Not Starting Lou Classless & embarrassing to the Player and Organization another big black eye

CrashCanuck

Tortorella is a ego-maniac, if he can get attention he will do it, thus this weird Luongo thing. I would go so far as to say Torts is a narcisistic socio-path. (google it he fits the definition: they view people as tools or a means to an end.)

Don't be surprized the next time he goes into the other teams dressing room in a rage, it's totally in keeping with this disorder.

sam13371337, on 02 March 2014 - 06:17 PM, said:

lu lovers with their sense of entitlement rating lu above the team... (apparently this attitude extends to lu judging by his response)

this Is a team game, All players have to contribute to the teams success..

if you get outplayed in your position by a teammate, and he gives the team a better chance to win... then he plays over you. Simple as that.

if lu doesn't like that, He should leave. Tired of his/his fanboys whining.

He already asked to do that the management team even boggled that up!!

Tortorella is a ego-maniac, if he can get attention he will do it, thus this weird Luongo thing. I would go so far has to say Torts is a narcisistic socio-path. (google it he fits the definition: they view people as tools or a means to an end.)

Don't be surprized the next time he goes into the other teams dressing room in a rage, it's totally in keeping with this disorder.

Wow, for the first time in a long time we have a coach who sees the game right and all these whiney, no good Canucks fans are upset about the coach riding the hot hand.

CDC sucks some times

I've seen a few people state that this is being blown out of proportion by fans and media, but I have to disagree.

Tortorella, Gillis, the organization, whomever, should all have anticipated the reaction that a move like this would have. And yet, they did it anyway. That says a lot if you think about it, that they were willing to stir the pot in this way. And for what gain? I love Lack, but to say that he gave us a better chance of winning, is very much a stretch. And is it worth it for the undue stress that it is causing for the team? That extra, debatable, minuscule edge that starting Lack may have given us, versus the clear distraction that a goalie controversy continues to be for this team. It makes no sense.

It's not taking any pressure off the Kesler situation, let's be real. And I'd really have to question their judgement if they made a move like this for that reason. It's still an enormous slap in the face to Luongo.

It's about respect. Maybe some of you are younger and just don't understand that concept yet. It matters, and it shouldn't be undervalued. A move like this is simply not worth the damage it does to our relationship with Luongo, and it's not worth the message it sends to fans and other players.

Luongo's not injured or they'd have said so. And it's not jetlag because that doesn't seem to be effecting anyone else. The organization has made no effort to try and dispel any rumblings of discontent.

The only reason to do this, that makes any sense to me, is that there is a possible trade looming. No other reason makes much sense or even comes close to offsetting the negativity that this situation has caused. Time will tell for sure, but it seems like a risky game to play. Given how hard it was to mend fences last time, if they're even considering a trade at this point, they'd better follow through with it.

Apparently people boo'd Lack when they put his picture on the jumbotron

They either boo'd or luu'd. Either way, it's pretty disrespectful to Lack, and I can't see how he would not take that personally. Those people weren't sending a message to the organization.

With that said, I still think they should have started Luongo. They must have known that this would cause another controversy, especially considering how big the game was. I get wanting to win, and playing the hot hand, but in a game like this, you need to play Luongo. The only reason to sit Luongo is if he's injured or being traded, but it's been three games, and I doubt they would sit him for that long just so he doesn't get injured.

I've seen a few people state that this is being blown out of proportion by fans and media, but I have to disagree.

Tortorella, Gillis, the organization, whomever, should all have anticipated the reaction that a move like this would have. And yet, they did it anyway. That says a lot if you think about it, that they were willing to stir the pot in this way. And for what gain? I love Lack, but to say that he gave us a better chance of winning, is very much a stretch. And is it worth it for the undue stress that it is causing for the team? That extra, debatable, minuscule edge that starting Lack may have given us, versus the clear distraction that a goalie controversy continues to be for this team. It makes no sense.

It's not taking any pressure off the Kesler situation, let's be real. And I'd really have to question their judgement if they made a move like this for that reason. It's still an enormous slap in the face to Luongo.

It's about respect. Maybe some of you are younger and just don't understand that concept yet. It matters, and it shouldn't be undervalued. A move like this is simply not worth the damage it does to our relationship with Luongo, and it's not worth the message it sends to fans and other players.

Luongo's not injured or they'd have said so. And it's not jetlag because that doesn't seem to be effecting anyone else. The organization has made no effort to try and dispel any rumblings of discontent.

The only reason to do this, that makes any sense to me, is that there is a possible trade looming. No other reason makes much sense or even comes close to offsetting the negativity that this situation has caused. Time will tell for sure, but it seems like a risky game to play. Given how hard it was to mend fences last time, if they're even considering a trade at this point, they'd better follow through with it.

Well said..+1

All this talk by foolish fans and media of poor Luongo is a joke.

Luongo would be starting if he didn't get outplayed by our goalie prospects its his own damn fault.

Lack allowed a screen goal, own goal by Bieksa and a perfect shot and anyone that blames him on this loss has no hockey sense at all.

Vancouvers problem is drama queen fans and media it's embarrassing people really need to calm down.

Maybe, but I don't see Luongo being moved until after the season is over. It might be possible that Luongo just has a bout of flu and he's day to day. Now why they wouldn't mention that, who knows? Maybe there is a trade in the works.

regards,

G.

Well said. I don't care what anyone says sports are more than just a game and players can make all the money, end of the day they don't want to be disrespected. No one does.

I don't care how good or bad Lu was prior, this is simply a slap in his face and disrespect for everything that guy has done and how he has handled things these past years. You think other players in the NHL don't see how Lu is treated? Even before this season many players respected him and with how he handled things.

One other thing I'd like to add to my earlier post, now that I think about it, what's in this for John Tortorella? You'd think that he'd be the last guy wanting to court controversy right now, especially if it's entirely unnecessary. Since so many people have pointed to this being "the coach's decision" I think it's important to remember that this was a big risk for Torts for very little gain. I don't even think it would have helped very much if the Canucks had won today, to be honest, Tortorella would still be taking some heat. This is a team in desperate need of some stability and I think that's been entirely undervalued in the discussions about this situation.

Yep, here we go with the full on coach hate. Unlike you of the bi-polar idiots on these forums, I still like Torts and want him on this team. I love Luongo and wish he got the start, too. But, the blame still falls on management for sitting on their hands and doing nothing with this core. How many more losses and embarrassments do we need for management to change the team?

if this was any other game everyone would have gone with lack and the canucks are desperate for points so this should be treated as a regular game

I wouldn't have.

Why hasn't Horvat been called up and Burrows sent down?

Horvat is younger and faster and can actually put the puck in the net.

See? Exactly the same.

Luongo is the starter. He should get most of the starts.

Tonight just proved one thing, that Lack isn't ready to take over the "big" games.

Don't get me wrong, I like Lack. Just like I liked Schneider. But this is Luongo's team. He was hired for this position.

For those that don't understand the poor decision by Torts and the poor management decisions regarding Luongo, hockey players are still humans not machines. Of course crappy and embarrassing treatment will add up to you not wanting to play for the organization anymore. The poor management decisions could even perhaps resentment and letting apathy set in. You can say the traditional, "if I got paid blah blah blah, I would blah blah blah". Guess what, you don't get paid that kind of money because you are not as good as a player like Luongo. Luongo is an upper echelon professional in his field which happens to be professional hockey.

You might be an upper echelon janitor in your field but I guarantee you, if your boss continually made poor decisions regarding you and your career, you'd be the first one crying to your friends while having your face buried in a pint of beer.

gimme a break.. Lack did not outplayed Luongo this season.. they both played exceptionally well throughout the entire season.. the last 5 games is what? luongo coming back from an injury and our assistant coach decides to play him in back to back nights too behind an ECHL defense? with half the team either injured, coming back from an injury, or mia and also himself coming back from 2 injury?? so i guess the entire season is based on his last 6 games.. and we can wipe his entire season out coz all we'll remember and refer to is his 6 games before the olympic.. sounds about right?

Canucks apologetics are rampant right now. In the most hockey-crazed cities like Winnipeg or Toronto, fans do not cheer or make chants for goalie changes. Leafs fans don't scream "We want Bernier" or "We want Reimer". And when the starting goalie gets pulled, the crowds are silent. Canucks fans have been cheering out the struggling goalie for so long (since Schneider), they think it's normal and acceptable. "We're not cheering against Lu, we're cheering FOR Schneider". It's a load of garbage.

No. Seriously, just no. I was at the game and witnessed the Lu chants. I also had the chance to talk to 15+ people throughout the game afterwards, who all had the EXACT same sentiments towards it, which were - roughly - "I love Lack, he's an awesome backup for us and he's going to be great for years to come. But you don't just continually slap our allstat goaltender in the face for years and then expect to find yourself as a competitive franchise that can draw in big name players".

Face it, Vancouver as a sports city has had enough bad flack from the media these past years, and there is absolutely no reason to continue that. I can promise you, those chants were in NO way directed towards Eddie. They were a direct shot to the coaching staff and management. I think a lot of fans, after the prior Luongo fiascos, we're able to take a step back, look at how a player of his stature was treated, and realize just what we have and realize how terrible we were to such a great asset, and most of us don't want to go down that road again.

So please, don't even start on how the "crowd turned against Lack". Never happened.

So "We want Lu" means... "We want MG and Torts fired"? If you say so, I guess you must be right. Perhaps you think the Montreal fans did the right thing when they jeered at Roy and Price too.

I won't make personal attacks on anyone, but right now, you're full of it. Those 15 fans you talked to, they're full of it. If you don't like the decisions that the staff and management are making, here's what you should do.

Two years later....

And look what happened. People obviously want Gillis gone and they're very pissed with Torts right now. The media won't harp on a fanbase that's screaming for the head of a GM that has developed a very bad reputation over the past couple years. Today, the Hotstove were right to grill you and the rest of the idiot fans at BC Place.

Archived