Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 10 votes

Not Starting Lou Classless & embarrassing to the Player and Organization another big black eye

• Please log in to reply
370 replies to this topic

#181 grandmaster

grandmaster

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:42 AM

Thank you for starting a seperate thread on this.

I too am disgusted at what happened and I think this is worse than when Keenan was calling Linden names in the dressing room.

I can't stand this coach now. Lui is the greatest goalie we ever had and he is still very good, he was very close to being the starter for Team Canada for god's sakes!!'

Shame on Torts and MG. I really want both of them fired

Edited by grandmaster, 03 March 2014 - 09:42 AM.

Favorite all time Canuck: Bertuzzi 2002-2003 season
Most clutch all time Canuck: Linden 1994 Stanley Cup Playoffs
Most exciting all time Canuck: Pavel Bure 90's

#182 grandmaster

grandmaster

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:44 AM

This is no suprise, It's all coming true,
Here is a story from 2013 when he was fired as the Ranger Head Coach,

http://www.thehockey...-NHL-coach.html

"All the evidence you need to confirm Tortorella is a relic can be found in the failings of his former New York Rangers team during the Blueshirts’ second round series loss to Boston. The Rangers lineup was significantly re-jigged by GM Glen Sather at the trade deadline, but Tortorella’s charges couldn’t conjure up any more offense against the Bruins than they were able to before the trade deadline.

And what did Tortorella do for a strategic answer toward the end of the series? He made former Conn Smythe winner Brad Richards (with whom he’d won a Cup in Tampa Bay) a healthy scratch for the final two games of his career as Rangers coach. He humiliated one of the game’s most accomplished veterans and doubled down on an offense designed entirely around the defensive skills of goalie Henrik Lundqvist. And the sum total of those efforts didn’t make a lick of difference against a clearly superior Bruins squad.

When Rangers GM Glen Sather fired Tortorella days after the Blueshirts were eliminated, few were surprised – especially NHLers who have endured his tough-guy routine in previous years.

“Very knowledgeable coach, bad manager of personnel,” one former Tortorella player told THN after the Rangers fired him May 29. “All players are motivated differently, none by disrespect, and when the players smell the phoniness, the coach loses the team.”

Nevertheless, that doesn’t excuse Tortorella’s sub-par job in Manhattan. Some NHL team probably will give him another coaching job, but those who do should have no illusions as to what they’re getting. Tortorella’s presence may work in the short term, but the longer you leave him in the position the more he is exposed as a dinosaur, his Jurassic snark a form of three-card monte street hustle fewer and fewer players fall for anymore.

There’s a reason why Mike Keenan, another famous Cup-winning bench boss with a hard-ass style, has likely coached his final NHL game and will work in Russia next season. The Grumpus Emeritus approach favored by Tortorella and Keenan is best left to hockey anthropologists, not active head coaches."

Looks like Torts still continues the same mistakes

Favorite all time Canuck: Bertuzzi 2002-2003 season
Most clutch all time Canuck: Linden 1994 Stanley Cup Playoffs
Most exciting all time Canuck: Pavel Bure 90's

#183 lolwut?

lolwut?

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:50 AM

If you really really believe that, then this organization is just a bunch of spoiled brats kicking sand at other kids in the playground.

Luongo wants to be here, the problem is fans like you don't want him here.

I think its obvious he does not want to be here.. And I can't blame him one bit after he keeps getting treated like this.

Whether you're a lu fan or not, you don't treat your starter like that. Period.

#184 erkayloomeh

erkayloomeh

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:52 AM

It's a conspiracy. They're creating the exact same situation as before. Eddie lack for a first rounder.
GOD BE PRAISED

#185 VMR

VMR

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:55 AM

The most ridiculous opinions ever showing up here. No one is entitled to these games.

Lui lost 5 in a row heading into the break.

Lack got the start out of the break due to jetlag and pitched a shutout.

He started vs Minny, played very well.

Lui made a statement about Kes knowing how it turns out here, putting his humor ahead of the team instead of saying ' no comment'

Lack got the start... Easy decision.

2 points first, if you haven't figured out that Torts only cares about the 2 points... get a clue already

We did not get the 2 points.

As for the rest of the posters. This Lack vs Lu stuff is not helping, Lack knows his role. I like lack and think he will be a great goalie here in a few years. With that said, Lu should have been shown more respect and had the starting role for yesterday's game. Anyone using the fact that Lu lost five in a row before they break is clueless and should know that was three weeks ago. Jetlag/injury I understand, but saying Lack was better is a clueless comment.
They are my team!
Go Canucks Go!

Posted Image
Thank you VC!!!!!

#186 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,622 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:06 AM

Why didnt u guys start the chant at the very begining of the game then? The chant wasnt started until lack let in a few goals, so its obvious its not only for the coaching staff or the management

Say whatever makes u sleep better, its ppl like u that made vancouver a goalie geave yard, and its also ppl like u that made the canucks fans a group of igonrant cry babies.

Absolutely. Chanting anything related to something not happening to a player currently in the game is stupid. If fans don't think that has some impact on Lack then why would it matter when they did it? Why not do it during warm up then celebrate Lack while he was playing?

No, the chant was meant to be derisive and had no thought to Lack or how to be a fan supporting your team that needed a push to win the game. If you don't support the decisions of the coach (and management) then don't go to the games.

Tire Pumper 's twitter comments got him benched and i don't blame them for doing so.

Luongo doesnt want to be here, the start went to the kid that does, the kid that has also been performing better.

#LuongosFeelings = groundhog day.

I don't why I yet again bother to say it, as I and many others have done so, but Luongo didn't tweet out the comments that are being attributed to him. They were tweeted by the media as a small part of a larger answer to a question they asked him.

I highly doubt his comments got him benched.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year. 

#187 VanCityCanuck14

VanCityCanuck14

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:06 AM

I want to start a fire Mike Gillis chant.... who is in?

#188 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,622 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:08 AM

This is no suprise, It's all coming true,
Here is a story from 2013 when he was fired as the Ranger Head Coach,

http://www.thehockey...-NHL-coach.html

"All the evidence you need to confirm Tortorella is a relic can be found in the failings of his former New York Rangers team during the Blueshirts’ second round series loss to Boston. The Rangers lineup was significantly re-jigged by GM Glen Sather at the trade deadline, but Tortorella’s charges couldn’t conjure up any more offense against the Bruins than they were able to before the trade deadline.

And what did Tortorella do for a strategic answer toward the end of the series? He made former Conn Smythe winner Brad Richards (with whom he’d won a Cup in Tampa Bay) a healthy scratch for the final two games of his career as Rangers coach. He humiliated one of the game’s most accomplished veterans and doubled down on an offense designed entirely around the defensive skills of goalie Henrik Lundqvist. And the sum total of those efforts didn’t make a lick of difference against a clearly superior Bruins squad.

When Rangers GM Glen Sather fired Tortorella days after the Blueshirts were eliminated, few were surprised – especially NHLers who have endured his tough-guy routine in previous years.

“Very knowledgeable coach, bad manager of personnel,” one former Tortorella player told THN after the Rangers fired him May 29. “All players are motivated differently, none by disrespect, and when the players smell the phoniness, the coach loses the team.”

Nevertheless, that doesn’t excuse Tortorella’s sub-par job in Manhattan. Some NHL team probably will give him another coaching job, but those who do should have no illusions as to what they’re getting. Tortorella’s presence may work in the short term, but the longer you leave him in the position the more he is exposed as a dinosaur, his Jurassic snark a form of three-card monte street hustle fewer and fewer players fall for anymore.

There’s a reason why Mike Keenan, another famous Cup-winning bench boss with a hard-ass style, has likely coached his final NHL game and will work in Russia next season. The Grumpus Emeritus approach favored by Tortorella and Keenan is best left to hockey anthropologists, not active head coaches."

Richards was playing poorly and was demoted down the line up first before he was sat. It was so bad Richards has been in (and still is in) discussions as a compliance buyout candidate! How many times have people yelled for Edler, Daniel or Burrows to sit in the press box this year? How is it ok for us to say it but not for Torts to actually do it?

I wasn't a fan of Torts coming in as head coach, but for any of us to think they can say what his coaching decisions around systems and the like would be about and how they would be negative for us is lying to themselves. I saw some posts that gave a general idea of what Torts might bring to the team from a coaching standpoint, but even then no one could say that any of those things would be a detriment.

The biggest detraction was that Torts attitude towards the media and handling of the players would be an issue. Torts has been good with the media and I haven't seen much in the way of him disrespecting players. I still can't believe some people are suggesting we should fire Gillis and bring back Burke - someone noted for his poor handling of the media and disrespect towards players.

There may be some truth in Torts not being able to succeed here, but he's made an effort to change and his handling of Richards isn't a reason why we should be jumping on him now.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year. 

#189 Ginu

Ginu

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:14 AM

I resorted to posting until I had the opportunity of speaking with some my coleagues at work and unfortunately there is not a single person agreeing with Torts and everyone is now disliking Torts...

Lack is a great guy and knows his role quite well... with that being said, hes a good goalie and with time, he will get even better, however the way Lu was treated is plain disguisting.... that is not a way to treat your all star starter goalie

The result after Torts decision to play Lack for yesterdays game, 1.) a ton of pissed off fans who no longer give a crap, lets face it were out of the playoffs and we will stay that way 2.) pissed off main goalie 3.) distressed backup goalie for getting booed in front of all the fans who bought tickets to watch yesterdays game
Even if Lack was light out and won the game for us, I still think the great majority of fans would be ticked off at the coach.
Posted Image

#190 I-miss-Wis

I-miss-Wis

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:14 AM

I think pretty much anyone watching that game yesterday was scratching their heads when they saw that Luongo wasn't starting. Can't blame Luongo for wanting out but he signed a contract that ties the hands of the organization so he has to take it. And your owner won't eat a contract. The result is a never ending goalie soap opera in Vancouver. And I think Torts has done more to damage your organization this year than anyone else. You can say what you want about AV but he wouldn't have benched Luongo for the game. And AV would not have gone postal in that Calgary locker room episode. Resurrecting this franchise starts with getting rid of Torts. And someone convincing the owner to eat Luongo's contract and end the goalie drama would certainly help as well.

#191 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,879 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:26 AM

Lack earned this start Luongo did not

just because Luongo somehow deserves this for having a rough time battling his back up in previous seasons for the net doesn't make it true

Luongo will play next game end of story but hey lets spin this into another poor Luongo story his feelings must be hurt

Luongo turned this team into a contender when he arrived and continued to help this team be a contender throughout his career. You're telling me you have no problem with him being cast aside for 2 goalies over 2 years? And guess what, at least one of them are not even close to his calibre.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#192 wai_lai416

wai_lai416

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:29 AM

the big issue i have with not starting Luongo in the last game is not so much coz it's the heritage classic.. if you are saying Luongo is cold coming into the game.. then he's going to be cold coming into the phoenix game.. if he thinks lack gives him a better chance to win.. then he should play lack against the divisional foe where it's essentially a 4 point game? by not starting Luongo in the classic.. he's going to go into a big divisional game cold.. unless he's planning to start lack again.. if he cares about points that much.. then should have started Luongo vs ottawa and lack vs phoenix... Luongo did not lose the net to lack coz you can't really base the last 6 game of the season and wipe out his entire season's work.. not starting Luongo is a slap to his face and also a poor coaching choice if he's going to put an ice cold Luongo into a big game vs a divisional foe with his last game played almost 2.5 weeks ago.

#193 Ride the red Pony

Ride the red Pony

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:35 AM

If he didn't appreciate that risk, then he should be coaching Pee Wee hockey, not at the NHL level.

I guess that is why I followed it up with this, " or really cared for that matter". Torts made the decision along with his staff according to the 2 previous games, hard to fault him for the decision based on that. He relied on this rather than the emotions of the fan base. Again, hard to argue the decision based on that.
He has been vilified for the decision, but for some reason I don't think that would bother him, as in his mind he had sound reasoning for making the decision he did. This is a big reason I like him as a coach.

I agree with most that it may not have been the right decision, but it was his too make and the reasoning behind it makes sense.
Nothing more, nothing less.

#194 Ride the red Pony

Ride the red Pony

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:38 AM

Richards was playing poorly and was demoted down the line up first before he was sat. It was so bad Richards has been in (and still is in) discussions as a compliance buyout candidate! How many times have people yelled for Edler, Daniel or Burrows to sit in the press box this year? How is it ok for us to say it but not for Torts to actually do it?

I wasn't a fan of Torts coming in as head coach, but for any of us to think they can say what his coaching decisions around systems and the like would be about and how they would be negative for us is lying to themselves. I saw some posts that gave a general idea of what Torts might bring to the team from a coaching standpoint, but even then no one could say that any of those things would be a detriment.

The biggest detraction was that Torts attitude towards the media and handling of the players would be an issue. Torts has been good with the media and I haven't seen much in the way of him disrespecting players. I still can't believe some people are suggesting we should fire Gillis and bring back Burke - someone noted for his poor handling of the media and disrespect towards players.

There may be some truth in Torts not being able to succeed here, but he's made an effort to change and his handling of Richards isn't a reason why we should be jumping on him now.

Well said Elvis!!!!

#195 BigRedMachine

BigRedMachine

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:41 AM

I guess that is why I followed it up with this, " or really cared for that matter". Torts made the decision along with his staff according to the 2 previous games, hard to fault him for the decision based on that. He relied on this rather than the emotions of the fan base. Again, hard to argue the decision based on that.
He has been vilified for the decision, but for some reason I don't think that would bother him, as in his mind he had sound reasoning for making the decision he did. This is a big reason I like him as a coach.

I agree with most that it may not have been the right decision, but it was his too make and the reasoning behind it makes sense.
Nothing more, nothing less.

It might have been a well-reasoned decision, but it wasn't well thought out, because it didn't take into account the emotional factor.

Reason only gets you so far in life, and in sports in particular. A well-reasoned approach will win you games, but to win championships, you need passion and desire as well. And a huge part of coaching is managing that emotional dimension. If Torts is ignoring that dimension, that is hugely problematic.

#196 bongo4420

bongo4420

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:41 AM

Hopefully MG does the right thing and trades or buys out Luongo. Frankly, he deserves better than this two bit organization.

#197 Mackcanuck

Mackcanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:42 AM

Elvis, if Richards was demoted down the lineup and finally scratched in the playoffs because of poor production,
Then why?? wouldn't Burrows and Daniel be getting the same,
Even Torts stated much later that he regretted doing that to Richards, as I am now sure he has the same regret over Lou!
I feel he learned nothing from disrespecting a key, veteran player on the team.

Should we expect another "I'm sorry" presser soon.

RE-LACKS everybody RE-LACKS!

eddie_lack___vancouver_canucks_by_motzab  CBtZdciVEAAZAXS.jpg

Motzaburger

#198 Guest_Cuporbust2_*

Guest_Cuporbust2_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:54 AM

I honestly thought it was a joke when I first heard Lu wasn't starting. I was a torts supporter from day one, but this move really just blew me away. It was like committing suicide along with the stuff said about team Canada. I mean I just don't get it. If you're trying to reestablish yourself as a top coach why would you say things you know are going to piss people off in the hockey market you're working in. Regardless of what he meant, unless he's an idiot he would know it was going to start a bunch of crap I don't know this guy actually enjoys stirring the pot or what because it made no sense whatsoever. Lu is a favorite in the dressing room, and regardless of what the players will say media I can't imagine being real impressed either even though lack has been playing well. It doesn't make any sense at all. Just absolutely ridiculous. Torts is slowly killing off any support he actually had here. I can't imagine what's next for this guy. Maybe the idiot reputation he has is well-deserved. Absolutely idiotic move and I've never even really been a massive Luongo fan

Edited by Cuporbust2, 03 March 2014 - 10:54 AM.

#199 Ride the red Pony

Ride the red Pony

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:01 AM

It might have been a well-reasoned decision, but it wasn't well thought out, because it didn't take into account the emotional factor.

Reason only gets you so far in life, and in sports in particular. A well-reasoned approach will win you games, but to win championships, you need passion and desire as well. And a huge part of coaching is managing that emotional dimension. If Torts is ignoring that dimension, that is hugely problematic.

You're correct, you must manage your emotions to make critical decisions. When you make decisions through emotion that is when you will find yourself in a position of weakness. That is why you find that Champions or championship teams very rarely have highs and lows, they stay at an even keel emotionally.

IMHO emotion (good or bad) is the nemesis of critical thinking and focus. So I am glad that Torts explained his reasoning and I can accept that reasoning.

With all that being said, I like you and so many others believe that he should have started Lou. Do I think he is a poor coach because of it? Not at all, as his reasoning makes sense.

#200 Li'l Fra

Li'l Fra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:23 AM

As a fan, I just want to see some normalcy coming from my team.

Seriously.

This year is nearly a write-off anyway. Can we just have our fan favourite, Luongo, in the Winter Classic?

Why does everything have to be such a travesty with this team?

#201 ShakyWalton

ShakyWalton

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,915 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:23 AM

I honestly thought it was a joke when I first heard Lu wasn't starting. I was a torts supporter from day one, but this move really just blew me away. It was like committing suicide along with the stuff said about team Canada. I mean I just don't get it. If you're trying to reestablish yourself as a top coach why would you say things you know are going to piss people off in the hockey market you're working in. Regardless of what he meant, unless he's an idiot he would know it was going to start a bunch of crap I don't know this guy actually enjoys stirring the pot or what because it made no sense whatsoever. Lu is a favorite in the dressing room, and regardless of what the players will say media I can't imagine being real impressed either even though lack has been playing well. It doesn't make any sense at all. Just absolutely ridiculous. Torts is slowly killing off any support he actually had here. I can't imagine what's next for this guy. Maybe the idiot reputation he has is well-deserved. Absolutely idiotic move and I've never even really been a massive Luongo fan

Very well said and spot on..I used to be a big Torts supporter when he arrived here,,after the gong show this year,,I am no longer...yesterday was dumb on so many levels and the level that makes me cringe is are we going to have to go through another goalie soap opera dominating the news and papers...frankly Lu cant leave fast enough.
You could almost see this coming,, knowing that the organization wanted Lu gone ..another young goalie comes along and plays well and its the same old story.

Edited by ShakyWalton, 03 March 2014 - 11:28 AM.

#202 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,433 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:30 AM

I'm going to be straight to the point. Luongo should have started yesterday. It was a bad decision not to start him. We now have a young goalie in Lack who is taking heat from the media with an onslaught of questions regarding his role with the team. Futhermore, this has added to the tension in which Mike Gillis created when he said he would trade Luongo. Luongo is a better goaltender than Ryan Miller. Other than contract status, why was it so difficult to trade him? His cap hit is friendly, you know he can play out the contract he signed, and the guy just won another gold medal.

Put it this way, Luongo is the best goaltender this team has ever had in its history. Treat the guy with more respect. If he is healthy, PLAY HIM.

Quite frankly Torts has made some brutal coaching decisions lately which will affect us making the playoffs.

Edited by Snake Doctor, 03 March 2014 - 11:31 AM.

Posted Image

#203 Fred65

Fred65

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:33 AM

Personally I'm getting completely fed up with the whining & drama that surrounds this hockey team, it sounds more like a soap opera than a sports team. Too many fans want to relate on a personel level rather than treat it like a business. I know in my working days bosses rarely came to me and asked if you'll be offended if you have to work extra hours of miss your weekend, fly off to some lousy destination on short notice. Pull on your big boy pants and get on with it. I don't want to hear this constant whining. All the players have a job to do they get paid very well..just do it and shut the Hell up

#204 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:35 AM

We did not get the 2 points.

As for the rest of the posters. This Lack vs Lu stuff is not helping, Lack knows his role. I like lack and think he will be a great goalie here in a few years. With that said, Lu should have been shown more respect and had the starting role for yesterday's game. Anyone using the fact that Lu lost five in a row before they break is clueless and should know that was three weeks ago. Jetlag/injury I understand, but saying Lack was better is a clueless comment.

Especially since the TEAM lost Lack's last 5 starts before the Olympic break too.

This team's problem isn't our goalies. But our coaches continuing to pretend it is rather than addressing the real deficiencies may be.
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#205 Guest_Gumballthechewy_*

Guest_Gumballthechewy_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:36 AM

I'm a 25 year old

Learn your place, kid.

I find this absolulty hilarious.

#206 Phantasystar

Phantasystar

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:54 AM

Especially since the TEAM lost Lack's last 5 starts before the Olympic break too.

This team's problem isn't our goalies. But our coaches continuing to pretend it is rather than addressing the real deficiencies may be.

Personally I think the Canucks just need the right coach to motivate his players. I'm an Avalanche fan and I don't think anyone thought we would do what we are doing with Roy behind the bench. The players have bought into his system and that is a huge thing. I don't think Torts is the type of coach that knows how to coach with what he has in front of him. He'd rather instead change a team more to his liking. If the team doesn't buy into it then you got trouble.

Also I feel quite bad for Luongo not getting the start. They really do need to move him or the circus will probably never end.

#207 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:59 AM

Personally I think the Canucks just need the right coach to motivate his players. I'm an Avalanche fan and I don't think anyone thought we would do what we are doing with Roy behind the bench. The players have bought into his system and that is a huge thing. I don't think Torts is the type of coach that knows how to coach with what he has in front of him. He'd rather instead change a team more to his liking. If the team doesn't buy into it then you got trouble.

Also I feel quite bad for Luongo not getting the start. They really do need to move him or the circus will probably never end.

That's my fear as well. :(
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#208 hockeyhero

hockeyhero

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:01 PM

the big issue i have with not starting Luongo in the last game is not so much coz it's the heritage classic.. if you are saying Luongo is cold coming into the game.. then he's going to be cold coming into the phoenix game.. if he thinks lack gives him a better chance to win.. then he should play lack against the divisional foe where it's essentially a 4 point game? by not starting Luongo in the classic.. he's going to go into a big divisional game cold.. unless he's planning to start lack again.. if he cares about points that much.. then should have started Luongo vs ottawa and lack vs phoenix... Luongo did not lose the net to lack coz you can't really base the last 6 game of the season and wipe out his entire season's work.. not starting Luongo is a slap to his face and also a poor coaching choice if he's going to put an ice cold Luongo into a big game vs a divisional foe with his last game played almost 2.5 weeks ago.

Exactly ....... well said !

#209 WiseOne

WiseOne

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:04 PM

It is hard to be a Canucks fan sometimes; give up a 2 goal lead, and a new goaltender controversy started. I really like Lack and we are lucky to have him, however I have no idea what Torts was thinking starting him in a game like that, especially considering the Canucks goaltending history. I wanted to feel really excited yesterday and by the end I almost felt like giving up on this team.
Posted Image 

#210 viking mama

viking mama

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:13 PM

Plenty of people felt that way too. Hence the we want Lou chant at the game.

Yup - the level of the disrepect for our 2010 Olympic & 2011 Stanley-Cup-Run hero (Luongo) in that decision....was in equal proportion to the level of disrespect afforded to Trevor Linden after his Stanley-Cup-Run heroics in1994.

Linden was unfathomly dethroned.... & co-erced into giving-up his captaincy to the villain that gooned him without penalty along the boards at the buzzer after a Canucks' Game-6 victory...hoping to put Linden out of Game 7....which he did NOT. Our captain performed valiantly scoring 2 goals there...but was still vanquished by circumstances, the officials, & fate. Any leader worth his freakin' salt...would have acknowledged that he needed to win over that room, by example of loyalty & devotion to the people in it - before he could be possible supplant the old captain & be accepted as their leader. Ohhh...but NOT Messier! That ego of his was just TOO freakin' massive for humility...or for the more dignified choice to emerge.

That lone decision...heralded in a period I call the DARK AGES as a Canucks' fans.

The integrity shown by both of those men (Linden vs Messier) was totally different. One oh-so generous & respectful... & the other having no-respect for one's former opponent.....& a COMPLETE disconnect to the to the wishes of that team & its' fan-base. Absentee owner John McCaw & his Orca Bay flunkies who invited all of that to happen....also had a COMPLETE dis-connect to the situation. See the similarities here?

Tortorella ain't all that together - folks! He's got the enormous ego in this situation. He's been all about beating down the stars into foot-soldiers since day 1.....no matter their rank or seniority....all of that be damned 'cuz to him - this should never come to bear,... nor should leadership-past. Hell...clearly the will of the fans has no bearing, either! He's a putz...& he's a fool - for thinking you can coach by discounting all of those factors in team-building moments such as these....and so is GM Gillis - for letting this happen,...& on a day meant to revere & herald great achievements & performances...of the PAST.

Instead...this decision brought this franchise under further scrutiny....created more controversey,...& free-agents, who are generally the seniority of this league, took ample notice of the public-shaming of one of their own...'cuz this was a lime-light event....supposedly for them & the fans.....to enjoy & for ALL to see!

Yikes....such BAD FORM....yet again!

Edited by viking mama, 04 March 2014 - 01:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.