The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Not Starting Lou Classless & embarrassing to the Player and Organization another big black eye

CrashCanuck

The most ridiculous opinions ever showing up here. No one is entitled to these games.

Lui lost 5 in a row heading into the break.

Lack got the start out of the break due to jetlag and pitched a shutout.

He started vs Minny, played very well.

Lui made a statement about Kes knowing how it turns out here, putting his humor ahead of the team instead of saying ' no comment'

Lack got the start... Easy decision.

2 points first, if you haven't figured out that Torts only cares about the 2 points... get a clue already

• The 5 losses can't be put solely on Lou.
  • I agree Lack has played very well.
  • Lou's statement should have nothing to do with who starts nor do I believe it had any bearing on the decision.
  • Not sure it was an easy decision, but with the way Lack has played and our dire need for points made the decision make sense.
  • I agree Torts made a hockey decision, what he thought was our best chance for winning, which is all we can really ask for from a head coach.

Bad timing for this event with how poorly the team has played and how well Lack has played. At the end of the day Torts just wants to win. Unfortunately for Eddie it is a very fragile fan base right now and with all that Lou has been through I don't believe it helped his confidence or state of mind.

lu lovers with their sense of entitlement rating lu above the team... (apparently this attitude extends to lu judging by his response)

this Is a team game, All players have to contribute to the teams success..

if you get outplayed in your position by a teammate, and he gives the team a better chance to win... then he plays over you. Simple as that.

if lu doesn't like that, He should leave. Tired of his/his fanboys whining.

Lack earned that start on the back of spectacular play, and outplaying Lu up to that point. Torts didn't start lack because he's a "big meanie" who wants to act like a jerk

Is that why the Sedins are still on the #1 pp unit?

This is no suprise, It's all coming true,

Here is a story from 2013 when he was fired as the Ranger Head Coach,

http://www.thehockey...-NHL-coach.html

"All the evidence you need to confirm Tortorella is a relic can be found in the failings of his former New York Rangers team during the Blueshirts’ second round series loss to Boston. The Rangers lineup was significantly re-jigged by GM Glen Sather at the trade deadline, but Tortorella’s charges couldn’t conjure up any more offense against the Bruins than they were able to before the trade deadline.

And what did Tortorella do for a strategic answer toward the end of the series? He made former Conn Smythe winner Brad Richards (with whom he’d won a Cup in Tampa Bay) a healthy scratch for the final two games of his career as Rangers coach. He humiliated one of the game’s most accomplished veterans and doubled down on an offense designed entirely around the defensive skills of goalie Henrik Lundqvist. And the sum total of those efforts didn’t make a lick of difference against a clearly superior Bruins squad.

When Rangers GM Glen Sather fired Tortorella days after the Blueshirts were eliminated, few were surprised – especially NHLers who have endured his tough-guy routine in previous years.

“Very knowledgeable coach, bad manager of personnel,” one former Tortorella player told THN after the Rangers fired him May 29. “All players are motivated differently, none by disrespect, and when the players smell the phoniness, the coach loses the team.”

Nevertheless, that doesn’t excuse Tortorella’s sub-par job in Manhattan. Some NHL team probably will give him another coaching job, but those who do should have no illusions as to what they’re getting. Tortorella’s presence may work in the short term, but the longer you leave him in the position the more he is exposed as a dinosaur, his Jurassic snark a form of three-card monte street hustle fewer and fewer players fall for anymore.

There’s a reason why Mike Keenan, another famous Cup-winning bench boss with a hard-ass style, has likely coached his final NHL game and will work in Russia next season. The Grumpus Emeritus approach favored by Tortorella and Keenan is best left to hockey anthropologists, not active head coaches."

I think your spot on, at the beginning of the year torts and mgnt said twitter and other social should not be used with anything in regards to whats inside the locker room.... and I do think Lou has somewhat abused this...

Really? What locker room stuff has been shared? Besides, if Torts is the kind of coach who would hurt the team because of a personal grievance like this, the team is doomed. All along Torts has been all about winning games (to a fault).

if this was any other game everyone would have gone with lack and the canucks are desperate for points so this should be treated as a regular game

You are right. But this wasn't just any other game. It was a show case game and Luo should have started. The arguments make it seem like he was playing terrible hockey so they went with Eddie.

It's not about the hockey game at this point people, it's about respect. If you can't see this then keep arguing that Eddie should have started.

You are right. But this wasn't just any other game. It was a show case game and Luo should have started. The arguments make it seem like he was playing terrible hockey so they went with Eddie.

It's not about the hockey game at this point people, it's about respect. If you can't see this then keep arguing that Eddie should have started.

Which is why people were booing the decision to play Lack, not Lack the player.

The real reason is that the coaching staff felt that Lack gave the team the best chance to win.

It was a calculated risk that blew up in their faces, but there isn't any sinister agenda, as some seem to believe.

I agree Rupert. I think in this case they miscalculated the risk and perhaps overlooked some things they should have taken into consideration.

But from a hockey decision standpoint I think they made the right decision. Again, I don't believe Torts fully understood or really cared for that matter, what fallout from the media and fan base might bring.

I think people have to stop bitching till after the trade deadline, if in fact there is a offer for Lou possibly they wanted to get a quick look at lack for a number of games to see if they needed to add a goalie at the deadline or just roll with lack for the rest of the year.

The real reason is that the coaching staff felt that Lack gave the team the best chance to win.

It was a calculated risk that blew up in their faces, but there isn't any sinister agenda, as some seem to believe.

The coaching staff can't be that dumb. Just about every fan, every analyst, knows that goal tending is NOT the problem with the Canucks.

Maybe if they spent more time teaching the players to score instead of guessing at whom to put in goal, the team would be in a playoff position and a contender once again.

Edit: There are only 3 teams in the league that have scored less than the Canucks.

But from a hockey decision standpoint I think they made the right decision. Again, I don't believe Torts fully understood or really cared for that matter, what fallout from the media and fan base might bring.

If he didn't appreciate that risk, then he should be coaching Pee Wee hockey, not at the NHL level.

Maybe just maybe Torts and management are pissed at Luongo for the remarks he made about the Kesler rumour. You know.. the sarcastic we all know how this ends. Shut yer trap Lou, keep it in the room with the 64mill you so hate

It's ironic that Torts would get pissed at anyone for saying something controversial but true.

Maybe just maybe Torts and management are pissed at Luongo for the remarks he made about the Kesler rumour. You know.. the sarcastic we all know how this ends. Shut yer trap Lou, keep it in the room with the 64mill you so hate

I also concur that the above post is ironic - but not for Torts nor Luongo.

:emot-parrot:

Why didnt u guys start the chant at the very begining of the game then? The chant wasnt started until lack let in a few goals, so its obvious its not only for the coaching staff or the management

Say whatever makes u sleep better, its ppl like u that made vancouver a goalie geave yard, and its also ppl like u that made the canucks fans a group of igonrant cry babies.

THIS, JUST OWNED WCM

I think this falls right in line with Torts philosophy. If you play well you will be rewarded. I don't think he meant to slight Lou but more of a reward to Lack.

With that being said though, I think there should have been more conversation heading into the decision of what the repercussions may be and perhaps a sit down with the 2 goalies prior to the decision being made, as Lou looked and sounded like he was caught totally off guard.

I tend to agree that Lou should have gotten the start, but Torts reasoning was also sound. Wrong decision for THIS particular game.

Guess this doesn't apply to the Sedin's

Funniest thing about the game was when Richardson took a penalty late in the 3rd to take us off the PP.

Richardson……on the PP……late in the 3rd…... :picard:

This is no suprise, It's all coming true,

Here is a story from 2013 when he was fired as the Ranger Head Coach,

http://www.thehockey...-NHL-coach.html

"All the evidence you need to confirm Tortorella is a relic can be found in the failings of his former New York Rangers team during the Blueshirts’ second round series loss to Boston. The Rangers lineup was significantly re-jigged by GM Glen Sather at the trade deadline, but Tortorella’s charges couldn’t conjure up any more offense against the Bruins than they were able to before the trade deadline.

And what did Tortorella do for a strategic answer toward the end of the series? He made former Conn Smythe winner Brad Richards (with whom he’d won a Cup in Tampa Bay) a healthy scratch for the final two games of his career as Rangers coach. He humiliated one of the game’s most accomplished veterans and doubled down on an offense designed entirely around the defensive skills of goalie Henrik Lundqvist. And the sum total of those efforts didn’t make a lick of difference against a clearly superior Bruins squad.

When Rangers GM Glen Sather fired Tortorella days after the Blueshirts were eliminated, few were surprised – especially NHLers who have endured his tough-guy routine in previous years.

“Very knowledgeable coach, bad manager of personnel,” one former Tortorella player told THN after the Rangers fired him May 29. “All players are motivated differently, none by disrespect, and when the players smell the phoniness, the coach loses the team.”

Nevertheless, that doesn’t excuse Tortorella’s sub-par job in Manhattan. Some NHL team probably will give him another coaching job, but those who do should have no illusions as to what they’re getting. Tortorella’s presence may work in the short term, but the longer you leave him in the position the more he is exposed as a dinosaur, his Jurassic snark a form of three-card monte street hustle fewer and fewer players fall for anymore.

There’s a reason why Mike Keenan, another famous Cup-winning bench boss with a hard-ass style, has likely coached his final NHL game and will work in Russia next season. The Grumpus Emeritus approach favored by Tortorella and Keenan is best left to hockey anthropologists, not active head coaches."

This post is exactly why I feel it's the late 90's all over again. Honestly if i was ownership I'd clean house with the coaching staff, and GM, medical staff, and scouting staff (Keep Gradin but dismiss everyone else) etc. Gillis' cloak and dagger style does not promote trust or confidence. Have a look at Winnipeg vs. Vancouver. Torts has been here for 63 games and we're 3 games above .500, and falling out of the playoff picture. Maurice gets hired by Winnipeg and the team has gone 11-3-1. That's what a new coach is supposed to do.

Now to be fair to Torts, this is the worst year by far of this core I've ever seen. The Sedin's are non-factors. Our defence which should be rock solid is getting beaten. Our offence has dried up. I think the mindset of Torts has totally messed up our offence, all the while we're not improving our defence.

Sadly by the end of the season I bet only the Sedins, most of our defence, and Lack will remain. I wouldn't be surprised if the team moves some major pieces. My only hope is if we move someone like Kesler we get a smokin' deal like we got with the Linden trade. But at this point I don't even trust Gillis to make the right move.

Tire Pumper 's twitter comments got him benched and i don't blame them for doing so.

Luongo doesnt want to be here, the start went to the kid that does, the kid that has also been performing better.

#LuongosFeelings = groundhog day.

If you really really believe that, then this organization is just a bunch of spoiled brats kicking sand at other kids in the playground.

Luongo wants to be here, the problem is fans like you don't want him here.

Archived