The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Pittsburgh Desperate for Kesler, NYR, DET AND CBJ Join Race

I don't see why Montreal would make that deal. Emelin brings a dimention to their defence that no-one else does, and with the way Burrows has struggled this season he would be at best a third liner in Montreal. He's making to much money to be a third liner (they're already paying Brieire to much to play on the third line)

Tinordi will bring that to Montreal next year but with much bigger size. It is true that you can't have enough guys who are hard hitters on your blue line though.

If we just want to unload Burrows, what about something like Collberg and a 2nd? I'm sure Burr still has some trade value left.

Collberg is one of their top prospects so I doubt they bite, plus it doesn't solve the problem that he's pverpaid and underperforming and wouldnt displace anyone in their top 6. Wasted cap space.

Tinordi will bring that to Montreal next year but with much bigger size. It is true that you can't have enough guys who are hard hitters on your blue line though.

The main issue is Burrows has always relied on the twins to inflate his stats. Now he has a contract to go with the stats he used to have but not the performance. There isnt anyone in their top 6 he's better than. He would be at best a third liner there, and he makes to much money for that. Maybe if the Canucks eat half his salary, but what are the odds of that?

3. Kesler and Luongo for Bjugstad, Goc and the 2014 1st rounder

- Florida wants to spend money and make the playoffs next year. This trade gets them there even without spending the other $20 million extra they have to play around with in the UFA market. Goc is simply a piece to keep us OK for this season as he is a pending UFA. Kesler replaces Bjugstad in their lineup and is much better in the near and medium term. Luongo is far better than who they have or spending $7-9 million on a UFA goalie.

That's an interesting proposal if you could convince Kesler to consider going to Florida.

Do the Canucks take Thomas to backup Lack and assist Florida to shed some cap in the interim to free agency?

I'm not a huge fan of the idea of dealing Edler for a top 6, Kesler for another center, Luo for a center and a pick, and thinning out the blueline, particularly given the lack of near NHL ready depth in the prospect pool aside from Corrado. If we could get a guy like Petrovic or Cowen added in a Florida or Ottawa deal I think it might help balance the roster a bit. I guess we could also assume that that high 1st could be spent on a young blueliner (and/or the other 1st already in the bank).

I have a hard time seeing Philly give up Simmonds. He is a little younger, and Kesler is slightly better overall, but it is quite lateral for both teams.

Schenn makes more sense for both teams. Schenn, an NHL ready prospect and a 1st or 2nd round pick would be a good return.

Agreed- which is why I don't get how much CDC'rs undervalue Simmonds, let alone think Kesler will net both Simmonds AND Schenn. IMO I would be happy with either since both are very good in their own respects i.e Simmonds can produce and has grit/would be excellent to have along side Kassian etc. & Schenn is a gritty 2 way player with good offensive upside. Doesn't hurt that I like PHI too lol.

I would consider that, maybe get their 1st from 2015 instead of this year. Simmonds goes onto the first line with the twins, trade Edler package for something of real top 6 value to fill out our second line or a good pick. Horvat/Laughton for your potential 1/2 center of the future, with Shinkaruk, Kassian and Jensen, Simmonds for their wingers..start building around that.

Agreed as well. If the Canucks can get a few more established younger forwards in the line up next year, re-sign Santo, then I think they will be better. A mix of young players on the second and third line will add more spark to the line up I think. Booth has to go because he has no finish, but kudos for brining some energy as of late. Sedins and Burrows HAVE to be better next year or else the team sinks again, but I don't think things could have gone any worse for all three as it has this year.

Pretending to know what is going to happen is...pretending.

OK buddy whatever that means

Btw, - the deal you've just cited - Schenn/Simmonds, Laughton (Canada's WJC captain) and a 1st is hardly much less of a "king's ransom" than your 'voice of reason' is pretending to dispel here.

Key point is that I'm not the one demanding it- I'm just working off the supposed rumour that has been floating out there. I'll also add that I mentioned such a trade conditionally (key word being "if").

The above deal isn't a kings random either compared to some of the other proposals made by CDC. A good roster player, good prospect and late 1st isn't exactly throttling PHI right now or later whom I also am a fan of. The trade works out well for both teams, as PHI could definitely use a C like Kesler to play with Giroux, and if they keep Schenn/Courturier they are excellent down the middle. They lose Simmonds now and some future value but Kesler gives them a winng chance now and for another 2 years. Fair for both sides the way I see it.

At least one 1st round pick and a recent top pick have to be part of any trade. If there's a bidding war, we'll get at least that. I'm resigned to Kes being gone at this stage.

Maatta, 2015 1st, 2016 1st.

Not much I'd want from NYR, really.

Nyquist, Mantha, 2015 1st

Johansen, 2014 1st, 2015 1st.

If CBJ get Kes, they have to be the most active team in the NHL.

Rick Nash, Jeff Carter, Jakub Voracek, Derrick Brassard, 1st, 3rd, 3rd, Steve Delisle, Derek Dorsett, Marion Gaborik, Jack Johnson, Brandon Dubinsky, Artem Anisimov, Tim Erixon, 1st, John Moore, 6th.

All those pieces have been involved in CBJ deals in the last few seasons. Some of them twice.

Actually they already are lol.

I dont think Kesler is going to the Penguins. If they had Letang healthy, and could offer Matta maybe... Other teams have the pieces to make it happen. We dont need Sutter hes redundant. Bennet might be an ok winger but he reminds me of Steve Bernier. Pouliot is interesting but we have plenty of d-men so it doesnt make a lick of sense. They have nothing worth Kesler to give up.

If CBJ get Kes, they have to be the most active team in the NHL.

Rick Nash, Jeff Carter, Jakub Voracek, Derrick Brassard, 1st, 3rd, 3rd, Steve Delisle, Derek Dorsett, Marion Gaborik, Jack Johnson, Brandon Dubinsky, Artem Anisimov, Tim Erixon, 1st, John Moore, 6th.

All those pieces have been involved in CBJ deals in the last few seasons. Some of them twice.

Scott Howsen made a lot of those idiotic moves.

Jarmo Kekalainen has done an excellent job turning that franchise around.

Archived