The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Pittsburgh Desperate for Kesler, NYR, DET AND CBJ Join Race

We need gifted fast offensive forwards not 2 way players, we already have that in Horvat, Gaunce. We just don't have enough goalscorers in our system

Agree. Jenner is a heck of a player, but unless we're also swapping Gaunce for some skill, Jenner isn't the solution. He can definitely be part of the solution, but the Canucks need elite offensive talent a la Ryan Johansen.

we've just spent the last couple years drafting 3 line centers in gaunce and horvat, not to mention schroeder, santo, dalpe, richardson we DO NOT need 3rd line centers like sutter. If we are trading kes this year we are not making the playoffs other than by accident anyways so who cares about filling his roster spot this year.. let the centers we have play and hopefully show something maybe even raise their value

Sutter is the garlic bread on the table, not the steak!

Hey, I like garlic bread? Lets face it, Schroeder has not cut it, and Horvat, Cassels and company are not here, or proven, yet. A good restaurant puts appetizers on the table to wet your appetite.

What we want is Maata, Sutter and a first, or Pouliot, Bennett, that same appetizer and a first.

For those who call for Maata or bust, just in September Pouliot was their "top" prospect! He still is all things advertised, Maata has just been Tanev smoking a cigarette cool on debut. Maata is also many things we have already in terms of skills. Pouliot add's a dimension we do not have! Let Maata's current higher profile net us Bennett and Pouliot and I'm singing...

http://www.pensburgh...derrick-pouliot

http://www.hockeysfu...s/beau_bennett/

http://www.hockeysfu...errick_pouliot/

Talent Analysis

Pouliot is an exceptionally mobile offensive defenseman with elite vision and puck-distribution. He has a blistering shot from the point, can transition the puck with his head up, and can play a lot of minutes in all situations. He is not a physically imposing presence on the ice, but is extremely strong and not shy from battling for the puck in corners. He possesses a strong, wide base and is difficult to knock off the puck. He is also an explosive skater who is able to quickly rush the puck up ice.

And for comparison;

http://www.hockeysfu...ts/olli_maatta/

Talent Analysis

The foundation of Maatta's game is built around consistent, non-flashy play that should make him a solid contributor in the NHL for years to come. Though not initially known for his offensive output, Maatta possesses excellent vision, hockey IQ, and puck-distribution ability, leading many to believe he has some untapped offensive potential. But steady play in the defensive and neutral zone is what Maatta does best, and with his mobile skating ability, he should develop into a solid NHL defenseman in the not-too-distant future.

We need Pouliot more than Maata, they say he is the 2nd coming of Duncan Keith. We already got Tanev= Maata, we nee a PP Quarterback an offensive dynamic defensemen or forward and that is Pouliot. He will be our future franchise defensemen we have been missing ever since the beginning of time.

Why are you so obsessed with Maatta anyway? We get it. He's good. But he won't be on the table. That being said, there are ways to still come out ahead, like getting some of their 2015 draft picks.

Yeah, if Pittsburgh is only willing to part with their tier #2 prospects, they're gonna have to part with their 2015 picks instead imo.

That's an interesting proposal if you could convince Kesler to consider going to Florida.

Do the Canucks take Thomas to backup Lack and assist Florida to shed some cap in the interim to free agency?

I'm not a huge fan of the idea of dealing Edler for a top 6, Kesler for another center, Luo for a center and a pick, and thinning out the blueline, particularly given the lack of near NHL ready depth in the prospect pool aside from Corrado. If we could get a guy like Petrovic or Cowen added in a Florida or Ottawa deal I think it might help balance the roster a bit. I guess we could also assume that that high 1st could be spent on a young blueliner (and/or the other 1st already in the bank).

Have you not been paying attention to Ben Hutton's size and NCAA season (as a sophomore I might add)?

theScore@theScore 52m

The Penguins are reportedly getting worried that Philadelphia is emerging as the lead contender for Ryan Kesler. http://thesco.re/MJok6h

Well no sh!t Philly is emerging as lead contender. Pitts isn't even adding a 2nd round in a weak draft and instead offering a 3rd!

LULZ

I dont think Kesler is going to the Penguins. If they had Letang healthy, and could offer Matta maybe... Other teams have the pieces to make it happen. We dont need Sutter hes redundant. Bennet might be an ok winger but he reminds me of Steve Bernier. Pouliot is interesting but we have plenty of d-men so it doesnt make a lick of sense. They have nothing worth Kesler to give up.

What D man do we have that resembles this description of Pouliot? :huh:

Talent Analysis

Pouliot is an exceptionally mobile offensive defenseman with elite vision and puck-distribution. He has a blistering shot from the point, can transition the puck with his head up, and can play a lot of minutes in all situations. He is not a physically imposing presence on the ice, but is extremely strong and not shy from battling for the puck in corners. He possesses a strong, wide base and is difficult to knock off the puck. He is also an explosive skater who is able to quickly rush the puck up ice.

Now Burrows?

SPORTSNET.CA: Mark Spector suspects Ryan Kesler won’t be the only Canucks core player to move on. He noted Detroit likes defenseman Alex Edler, and suspects the NY Rangers could pursue Alex Burrows at the draft if they should trade away Ryan Callahan.

I'd be somewhat interested in a Burrows for Callahan swap if we could get Cally re-signed.

Talent Analysis

Pouliot might turn into a good player. But people saying Duncan Keith are jumping to huge conclusions wow... We need forwards not d-men. I dont know what some of you guys are thinking....

We would have to finish as one of the cellar dwellar's ourself. Then you trade up the other two 1st picks to increase your odds. If we had pick 4+5, the odd's are the same as pick 2. There's no guarantees, but anything to help increase the odd's would help.

keep this team exactly as it is......and PRESTOOOO!!! 1st overall pick

Talent Analysis

Sounds like Karlsson

Jenner has FAR more snarl than Sutter. Compete level is off the charts.

Jenner would be a great piece if we traded with CBJ.

If CBJ got rid of him I wonder what else they would have to give to make a fair trade.

Archived