The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you trust MG to make a good Kesler trade?

grandmaster

I think MG is a failure as a GM and have no trust in his ability to get a proper return for Kesler.

Some recent examples of his failure;

1) signing Edler long term and letting Ehrhoff walk

2) letting Hodgson go for a prospect who is no longer a prospect but rather a below average player

3) trading Schnieder for a pick when he could have got way more when his value was higher one year previous

4) firing former coach if the year in AV when the real problem was player personnel (Torts made things even worse)

MG should be fired before he screws this one up!

Yup.

FWIW

1) Resigned a player under value...not really a "failure". Nor is not signing a guy who wanted to be overpaid.

2) We got the better end of that deal IMO.

3)We might have got a second round pick or a "b-grade" prospect at the deadline. Hardly "way more".

4)Torts is not the problem and AV while a good coach needed to move on. His voice was stale.

How is this even a question?

It's not about "trust".

How can you have "trust" in whether a good trade is made?

Some trades take years to pan out.

Hope maybe, but not "trust".

Too many factors, it's not just on MG - it has to do with whomever he talks to as well as Kesler, Kesler has a NTC.

No, but I also don't believe that a different GM right now would do a better one. Gillis' hands are tied and they have been since 2011.

The more important question I have regarding Gillis is if he's even interested in taking on a full-on rebuild. Esp. here. He's only 55, so I guess it's fathomable, but this market will age him 30 years in the space of 10.

How is this even a question?

It's not about "trust".

How can you have "trust" in whether a good trade is made?

Some trades take years to pan out.

Hope maybe, but not "trust".

Too many factors, it's not just on MG - it has to do with whomever he talks to as well as Kesler, Kesler has a NTC.

Thank you. Common sense is clearly lacking on CDC

I think MG is a failure as a GM and have no trust in his ability to get a proper return for Kesler.

2) letting Hodgson go for a prospect who is no longer a prospect but rather a below average player

3) trading Schnieder for a pick when he could have got way more when his value was higher one year previous

4) firing former coach if the year in AV when the real problem was player personnel (Torts made things even worse)

Let me have a say about his so called failures.

1) Edler > Erhoff, Erhoff has not been the same since 2011

2) Have you seen Kassian play? He's got tremendous upside the past month and a bit hes been one of our best players. Hodgson is a one trick pony. (All offensive). He's soft and wanted to be traded. Buffalo fans aren't very big on Hodgson.

3) Schneider was much more appealing to keep than Lou. Gillis fault was holding on to Lou for too long.

4) AV had to go, was time for a change.

At present, because that's what is now, who do you think is going to make the trade if Gillis doesn't. Are they going to fire the guy and replace him with whom? Who is qualified to make the move if any today? Or tomorrow? If Gillis goes he'll go after seasons end or after the draft, not before. All of your points are moot because you forget ownership in the equation, they own the team, we fans do not. That's a hard fact. Also you speak from your opinion and not logic.

Ehrhoff has a bad contract. Gillis didn't let him walk, he gave the same offer he gave Bieksa.

You are overrating Cody and while Kassian is not there yet, he's steadily becoming a good player for us. Be patient.

What more do you think Cory would have got? be specific.

AV's time was up.

It all depends on how you perceive it. A rebuild is a rebuild, Vancouverites and Canucks fans have no patience for the most part. And a lot of the fair weathers lack hockey knowledge.

People want results right away! If we traded Kesler for 2 firsts like Kessel got, I would consider that great return. But as the post 4 posts above me says "kes for spezza straight swap"... Him having that opinion would probably make him think that 2 first is poor return. And you don't trade away your top 2 way/offensive player for someone older, plus Kes wouldn't waive for OTT. You trade for picks and prospects/young studs.

On the Schneider comment, sure the timing was off but we were ELITE! Why mess with a good thing, I believe a lot of GMs in his position would have wanted not to tinker around too much. But still, a top 10 pick in a DEEP draft for a solid goalie is good return considering how flooded the goalie market is. There are sooo many technically sound good goalies these days, not just in the NHL, around the globe... LATVIA anyone?

Who else could replace him?? Just face it and accept the rebuild and hope that we bounce back right away next season. Still might sneak in the playoffs this year by a fluke. People make it sound like we are going for drinks with buffalo Calgary and Edmonton. Gillis turned a perennial second round KO team to an elite cup contender. Sure we have regressed, and the goalie situations are BRUTAL! But I think he deserves the shot to re-up the Canucks!

Look at the avalanche! From dead last to making the post season this year, in a year. And it's not all McKinnon, it can happen.

Support the team, support the players!!!

GO CANUCKS GO!!

#ifeelbadforluongothough

Considering what everyone's expectations are in regards to a return for Kesler... I'm thinking we're setting ourselves up for disappointment. I don't trust GIllis much anymore, and I trust him even less when it comes to him absolutely fleecing another team, which is essentially what people are expecting.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

I would not trust Gillis to order water bottles for the team.

Team is a complete mess and it all showed during the biggest game of the year. He hires a coach that has no clue of how to manage the pulse of a locker room, you don't ever put a rookie goalie like Lack in a situation like that. Things are so bad that I do not blame Kelser at all for wanting out. The shortcomings of Gillis have been well documented and I don't need to rehash them other than to simply state that the only good thing about us not making the playoffs is that finally this clown will lose his jobb (Gillis that is)...the other clown (Torts) will go later given that Gillis just signed him to a juicy contract.

PS...AV is doing just fine in New York...yet another brilliant Gillis move

A lot of people are expecting something to happen this trade deadline. It's almost unfathomable to think nothing will be done.

What do you guys think would be the repercussion if nothing is done? Which I believe is highly possible.

Is there pressure from upstairs on Gillis to do something? Will the fans revolt?

Considering what everyone's expectations are in regards to a return for Kesler... I'm thinking we're setting ourselves up for disappointment. I don't trust GIllis much anymore, and I trust him even less when it comes to him absolutely fleecing another team, which is essentially what people are expecting.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Agree.

After reading all the mock Kesler trade proposals in the many Kesler trade threads, I have a feeling people are gonna be in for a shocker when they see what we actually get in return.

Archived