The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Flyers Have Tabled a "Substantial" Offer for Kesler AND Edler in Potential Blockbuster

trade one to pitts and one to philly and take them both for what we can get, haha...a couple first round picks and some first round drafted talent. High Return.

I think that would be the best case scenario. Probably works too

Edler to Pits-They probably want some insurance b/c of Letang

Kesler to Philly.

I see that pre-recorded speech with crap about NTC's in it too, I don't think Gillis will make any bold moves.

Gillis traded Hodgson, its not like he doesn't have it in him.

At this point, I this as becoming too big a mess if we hold on to Kes and also Luongo in the future.

I see Luongo more easily moved now with the emergence of Lack and the cap going up.

Yeah that's the best part about all of this! Don't have to wait much longer.

Don't see Gillis doing nothing. With the cap going up next yr, this is our chance to free up some cap and sign a FA or two and rebuild on the fly.

In a perfect scenario:

Kesler+Edler traded

Booth buy out

=

=14.25m+ in Cap space freed up + 5M (6.8M in cap going up -1.8M in Sedin raises)

=19.25m of offseason cap space - Horvat -Santorelli

To Fill:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

_____ Horvat ______

Higgins Santorelli Hansen

Sestito Richardson Dalpe

Hamhuis Bieksa

Garrison Tanev

Diaz Stanton

Offseason:

Sign 2 wingers for Horvat (this would include the cap we take on from either Philly/Pits, just treat the players we get as signings)

Top 4 d-man?

Budget: Roughly 14-15M

You forgot Kassian. Could see a lineup of

Sedins-Burrows

Moulson-Schenn-Kassian

Higgins-Horvat/Santo-Hansen

Sestito-Richardson-Archibald

Maybe franzen jurco/mantha too if we deal Edler to Detroit

http://mobile.philly...s/&id=248318911

Flyers pursuing Canucks center Ryan Kesler?

Frank Seravalli

Last week, Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren said he didn't envision making any major moves before Wednesday's trade deadline.

His stance apparently changed over the weekend, once word leaked that center Ryan Kesler may be on his way out of Vancouver.

Two league sources told the Daily News that the Flyers have tabled a "substantial offer" to try and pry Kesler from the Canucks. They have also asked about acquiring Vancouver defenseman Alexander Edler, who is reportedly on the market, as part of a larger trade - though that combined price is steep.

At this point, a little more than 24 hours shy of Wednesday's 3 o'clock finish line, any deal of this magnitude seems rather unlikely. There are numerous obstacles in the way.

For one, any trade involving Kesler would be a team-altering hockey trade, and not your standard "rental"-type deal often consummated around the deadline. This blockbuster would also require serious salary moving both ways for each team to remain cap compliant - and they usually take time to put together.

Plus, the Flyers clearly are not the only player pursuing Kesler. Numerous teams, including Pittsburgh, Toronto, Chicago, Boston and even Columbus have inquired with Canucks general manager Mike Gillis about Kesler.

According to a report in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, the Penguins view the Flyers as their chief competition for Kesler. The report says the Penguins have offered Brandon Sutter, Simon Despres, and their first round pick. In such hot pursuit of Kesler, Penguins general manager Ray Shero has even softened his stance on letting go top defensive prospect Derrick Pouliot, a first round pick in 2012 - perhaps with knowledge of the Flyers' most-recent offer.

"Shero is said to be as aggressive in this pursuit of Kesler as he has any player at seven previous deadline periods," the Tribune-Review's Rob Rossi reported.

When Shero wants something, he usually find a way to get it. Last year, Calgary forward Jarome Iginla chose to be traded to Pittsburgh instead of Boston at the last minute.

It is important to keep in mind here that Kesler did not request a trade. He has lucrative, off-ice sponsorships in Vancouver that earn him well above his $5 million salary. This would also signifiy the Canucks are willing to pull the chute on their injury-plagued season with 19 games left despite being only two points out of a playoff spot. As we saw last season with Roberto Luongo in Vancouver, Gillis is surely in a position of leverage.

However, a source says former Flyers coach Peter Laviolette was actually among those who became close to Kesler with Team USA at the Olympics and passed on word that he might not be entirely happy in Vancouver.

Kesler, 29, holds the keys in this negotiation with a full no-trade clause. The Penguins are reportedly his first choice destination, with Philadelphia serving as his backup plan. Numerous reports stated Kesler - a Michigan native - is not interested in a trade to another Canadian market.

The price for Kesler, who has two full seasons left at a cap-certain number of $5 million, remains high heading into Wednesday. It is very possible Kesler remains in Vancouver. TSN's Bob McKenzie reported on Monday night that the Canucks are seeking an established NHL center between the ages of 20-25, preferably a forward prospect, and a first round pick in exchange.

For the Flyers, that would likely mean parting ways with a center like Brayden Schenn. Though Holmgren does not have a burning desire to trade anyone on his roster, reiterating Monday he likes his team as assembled, the Flyers would much rather move Schenn than Sean Couturier.

It is unclear what Gillis would require to part with both Kesler and Edler in the same deal. Edler, 27, is in the first year of a 6-year, $30 million deal which also provides a cap-certain hit of $5 million, while the cap is rising significantly next season. He, too, holds a no-trade clause.

Edler was a true bright spot for Sweden at the Olympics, often playing ahead of Coyotes star Oliver Ekman-Larsson. He is the puck-moving defenseman the Flyers truly need to add.

As for Kesler, a one-time 40-goal scorer, the Flyers' need for him is less pressing. Sure, he is a consummate, two-way forward with a slew of intangibles and legitimate scoring prowess. But they also already have one big-name player, Vinny Lecavalier, playing out of position on the wing because of a logjam down the middle.

Plus, Schenn - set to become a much cheaper restricted free agent this summer - has similar points this season as Kesler, despite being 7 years younger.

With the 5th-most wins in the NHL since Nov. 7 (28-14-5), the Flyers are seemingly just as content staying put at the deadline.

Yet, they are involved - again. They love Kesler's competitiveness at both ends of the ice. In 2006, Flyers general manager Bob Clarke signed Kesler to an offer sheet, stunning the market with a hostile offer for relatively unknown player at the time. The Flyers' next general manager has watched Kesler blossom into one of the NHL's most well-rounded players.

Perhaps, the Flyers could be on the scent simply to make sure rival Pittsburgh doesn't become a deeper team overnight without significant cost. We'll see who's bluffing.

For the latest updates, follow Frank Seravalli on Twitter: @DNFlyers

940-kesler-altered-8col.jpg031112-paul-holmgren-400.jpg4184397.jpg?size=640x420

Blockbuster deal, lets go

B. Schenn, Morin, 1st pick and Laughton for Edler and Kesler

i think they will offer the schenns together and be something like B & L Schenn, Morin, Downie(cap reasons), 1st and 2nd

Ewww...not L. Schenn, Just give us B. Schenn, Morin and Laughton. We will take Downie off their hands for cap reasons and give them Schroeder.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Downie-Schenn-Kassian

Higgins-Richardson-Laughton

Booth-Archibald-Sestito

Ewww...not L. Schenn, Just give us B. Schenn, Morin and Laughton. We will take Downie off their hands for cap reasons and give them Schroeder.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Downie-Schenn-Kassian

Higgins-Richardson-Laughton

Booth-Archibald-Sestito

didnt say i liked him just can see them trying to package them

Were gonna end up with more than that for Kes and eddy... I hope so anyways !

Maybe remove the 1st and Morin and get them to throw in W. Simmonds or Voracek. But Holmgren doesn't want to dismantle his team.

I would just go with B. Schenn and Laughton for Kesler while trading Edler to Detroit for Gustav Nyquist and Mantha. Then trade Luongo in the off-season for a good prospect. I would like us to gain 5-6 young players that have a high potential playing in the NHL alongside with Horvat, Shinkaruk and Gaunce. Gillis could maybe target Brian Campbell in the off-season as a salary dump from Florida since we would have much more cap space. Then next season, we would roll with kids upfront and vets at the back.

Sedin-Sedin-Nyquist

Mantha-Schenn-Kassian

Hansen-Horvat-Burrows

Santorelli-Richardson-Higgins/Sestito

Campbell-Garrison

Bieksa-Hammer

Corrado-Tanev

Lack

UFA

Plus, buyout Booth in the off-season. Out is Booth, Kesler, Edler and Luongo (combined salary of $21 million dollars).

Philly will get rid of one of their plethora of centers if they get Kesler and that is guaranteed. I don't see how they would be able to keep B. Schenn, Couturier, Kesler, Giroux, Lecavlier etc. even if they could. It just doesn't make sense. Giroux would be their 1st line center and Kesler would be their 2nd line center. So in reality, they might just give us B. Schenn in order to avoid facing Malkin, Crosby and Kesler 3 headed Hydra and to clear a roster spot for Kesler. Plus, they would have Couturier as their checking center and Lecavlier as their other center.

I think Gillis will take a long, hard look at Philly's offer and might choose them instead of Pitts. The only obstacle is if Kesler refuses to go to Philly. Pittsburgh would have to give us Mattaa, Sutter and Pouliot in order for Gillis to consider.

It's going to be hard seeing Kesler leave but right now is when we could probably get a max return for him.

=(

It does suck to see him leave but maybe it can help us rebuild if Gillis plays it smart and doesn't make a stupid trade.

It does suck to see him leave but maybe it can help us rebuild if Gillis plays it smart and doesn't make a stupid trade.

Philly concernes me a little less than Pittsburgh. At least a deal with Philly can't have Ebbett and Pyatt coming back. I think their young forwards are a better fit for us than Pittsbugh's prospects, unless Maatta is available.

Archived