The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks are in a huge mess...which they created themselves b/c of ownership!

TheRussianRocket.

Edit:

How ownership has caused a mess up:

Per reports by SNET, TEAM1040, and other numerous reliable sources.

@TEAM1040:

RT @RobRossi_Trib: #pens felt good about Kesler Tuesday. Started Wednesday not confident that #Canucks ownership would let the trade happen.

@RobRossi_Trib:

Told pens felt had substantial offer to Canucks. Feel ownership nixed plans for trade that would have sent Kesler to Pit

@TEAM1040:

RT @DarrenDreger: Told it was a feeding frenzy for Kesler. A few great offers made. At one point last week as many as 6 teams legit in play.

...what a hot mess. Teams picked up the price big time and MG had offers but greedy owners denied it to happen. Glad to know Aquilini is more concerned about money and revenue than creating a better teams. Lu situation 2.0...wow

For those of you blaming and pointing the finger at MG, you have the wrong person(s). The owners are calling the shots and dictating what can be done and what can't. MG is simply a puppet and can't do what's best for the team due to greedy owners!

OP:

The Canucks organization has done something that no one understands and currently makes no sense whatsoever.

Taking it back to when Schneider was here, Luongo helped develop his game and became a solid goalie. Then the controversy arose which goalie will the Canucks keep as there's only 1 crease to play in. Canucks signed Schneider after his entry level contract ended to a $4 mill per deal. At that moment, seemed Schneider would be the guy and after a headache of drama, ends up they traded Schneider. Cory got it as a surprise as he said he thought he would've been a Canuck for life just signing that deal and Lu was just as surprised as he thought he would be gone.

Well, that happened and so we think Lu will be our guy right? Not anymore. Management trades away Luongo....I know I'm not the only on scratching my head. This makes absolutely no sense. Yes we got a sufficient return for Luongo but there's risk involved with the main piece we got back in Markstrom. He's a top goalie prospect but knee injuries have set him back and ever since he hasn't regained his form. He is 24 (Lack is 26) but nonetheless, Canucks have to bank on he develops into what he should have become otherwise they lose this deal.

Further, when Torts was signed, he even said Lu will be key for our success as he was bought in to give that extra push for our players. What happens? Heritage Classic, he benches Lu. Now I know it was a decision based simply on Eddie was playing well, but it's a different scenario, it's a historical event. That's like if Torts started Biron over Lundqvist in the Winter Classic; no matter what the reason, it's a stupid and controversial move and seems that was the last straw for Lu. Fans chanted Lu throughout the game and where it was supposed to be a memorable event, turned out to be the start of another layer ontop of the Luongo saga.

Now, Lack has the pressure of the world in Vancouver crazed market to be our #1 and he's being put in a tough spot. If he doesn't perform well, media will eat him alive and he'll get hit mentally like how Lu did and if Markstrom doesn't pan out, we're in trouble. Thing is, now we don't know where this team is. Are they rebuilding, retooling, going to trade to become a contender? Everything is all over the place and I'm sure the players themselves are in a state of confusion themselves. Torts was supposed to make us get an extra step for playoffs but now with the moves made and injuries, we are in the middle of no where. Not to mention, we traded Schneider and Luongo for Horvat, Markstrom, and Matthias. Not at all close to what we could've got but considering the scenario management was in, it makes up a little but still doesn't add up.

...don't hate, I'm still rooting for the blue and green, but all I'm wondering is, where will this team be heading? It's the million dollar question. This doesn't all fall down on MG as ownership has first say and it's because of the owners we are in this mess too. When we could've traded Lu and kept Schneider, they didn't want to take back a % of Lu's salary which led to teams not wanting him and Schneider being dealt. Now, after the Heritage game, they probably said we don't want to go through this again and gave the green light for Lu to be traded where they were willing to take back cap...why couldn't they do this last year and kept Schneider?

All the moves that are being done don't make sense and are unpredictable at the least. I'm extremely happy for Lu that he gets to finally be out of this mess considering he deserved so much better and now, we are left with a massive grey cloud. Blame is from the ownership down and all I hope is they have a legitimate plan moving forward cause as of right now, we are in the middle of being a playoff team, contender, retooling team, rebuilding team, just about everything. This truly is bizarre.

Yup, sounds familiar doesn't it? Didn't something like this happened very recently and very close to home... oh yeah, Calgary. They tried bringing back some previous players like Jokenin and Squid and it didn't work, now the team is loaded with players I don't recognize. I know, I live in Calgary.

Is it just me, or does Schneider and Luongo for Horvat, Markstrom, and Matthias not even seem that bad at all?

But have you seen the team perform lately? What, is Schneider going to get us to score?

Here's a question: How exactly could it get worse? When losing for us right now is actually winning, the only way it 'gets worse' is if we hang on to all of our guys and still pretend we're contenders. And it appears we're not doing that.

The Luongo trade is just step one anyway. Maybe save your reviews until the rest of the moves are completed.

The Canucks organization has done something that no one understands and currently makes no sense whatsoever.

Taking it back to when Schneider was here, Luongo helped develop his game and became a solid goalie. Then the controversy arose which goalie will the Canucks keep as there's only 1 crease to play in. Canucks signed Schneider after his entry level contract ended to a $4 mill per deal. At that moment, seemed Schneider would be the guy and after a headache of drama, ends up they traded Schneider. Cory got it as a surprise as he said he thought he would've been a Canuck for life just signing that deal and Lu was just as surprised as he thought he would be gone.

Well, that happened and so we think Lu will be our guy right? Not anymore. Management trades away Luongo....I know I'm not the only on scratching my head. This makes absolutely no sense. Yes we got a sufficient return for Luongo but there's risk involved with the main piece we got back in Markstrom. He's a top goalie prospect but knee injuries have set him back and ever since he hasn't regained his form. He is 24 (Lack is 26) but nonetheless, Canucks have to bank on he develops into what he should have become otherwise they lose this deal.

Further, when Torts was signed, he even said Lu will be key for our success as he was bought in to give that extra push for our players. What happens? Heritage Classic, he benches Lu. Now I know it was a decision based simply on Eddie was playing well, but it's a different scenario, it's a historical event. That's like if Torts started Biron over Lundqvist in the Winter Classic; no matter what the reason, it's a stupid and controversial move and seems that was the last straw for Lu. Fans chanted Lu throughout the game and where it was supposed to be a memorable event, turned out to be the start of another layer ontop of the Luongo saga.

Now, Lack has the pressure of the world in Vancouver crazed market to be our #1 and he's being put in a tough spot. If he doesn't perform well, media will eat him alive and he'll get hit mentally like how Lu did and if Markstrom doesn't pan out, we're in trouble. Thing is, now we don't know where this team is. Are they rebuilding, retooling, going to trade to become a contender? Everything is all over the place and I'm sure the players themselves are in a state of confusion themselves. Torts was supposed to make us get an extra step for playoffs but now with the moves made and injuries, we are in the middle of no where. Not to mention, we traded Schneider and Luongo for Horvat, Markstrom, and Matthias. Not at all close to what we could've got but considering the scenario management was in, it makes up a little but still doesn't add up.

...don't hate, I'm still rooting for the blue and green, but all I'm wondering is, where will this team be heading? It's the million dollar question. This doesn't all fall down on MG as ownership has first say and it's because of the owners we are in this mess too. When we could've traded Lu and kept Schneider, they didn't want to take back a % of Lu's salary which led to teams not wanting him and Schneider being dealt. Now, after the Heritage game, they probably said we don't want to go through this again and gave the green light for Lu to be traded where they were willing to take back cap...why couldn't they do this last year and kept Schneider?

All the moves that are being done don't make sense and are unpredictable at the least. I'm extremely happy for Lu that he gets to finally be out of this mess considering he deserved so much better and now, we are left with a massive grey cloud. Blame is from the ownership down and all I hope is they have a legitimate plan moving forward cause as of right now, we are in the middle of being a playoff team, contender, retooling team, rebuilding team, just about everything. This truly is bizarre.

If this team is in a mess what are Calgary and Edmonton in? Check the standings.... for the last several seasons. First off the Canucks have a committed generous ownership that is successful at business at all levels. Many ownership groups in the NHL have little or no clue, see NYIers.

There's no doubt the Luongo situation was handled poorly last season. I think Gillis in many ways has learned his lesson and had to move when the waters were right on moving Luongo. Grinding on ones mistakes is beyond boring. Give me solutions other than what ifs , could haves and should haves. What I want to hear are solutions. The change is now, that's what you're seeing as bizarre. It's ok.

I'm glad Gillis got this deal done and got something decent for Luongo. I think more is coming. We need to accept the bizarre. I look back to last year at this time when I was pi$$ed after the lock out. This is the kind of hockey season we all missed agree or disagree. Finally we're back to the meat and potatoes of being a fan.

I'd rather have gotten Huberdeau or Barkov instead (even if we had to add more). The Canucks' main issue is the lack of scoring and we haven't addressed that at all.

Should have traded Schneider years ago. Instead we kept 2 elite goalies and created a controversy. Now we're left with 0 elite goalies.

There is a derth of goalies out there. Lack or Markstrom don't pan out? Trade for a new one. Sign a new one. It doesn't matter because all I care about is that MG did what everyone said wasn't possible, moved that contract, retained very little and got a decent return. This should be a time of happiness for the fanbase. This is a fresh start....and by tomorrow lunch time, it might be a whole lot fresher.

If Matthias can hit it off with the Sedins, it could be a home run!

Matthias is not a first or 2nd line centre,,but you can bet thats where he will end up,, we better see some sort of top six come our way in the next day or so.

Real happy we got rid of Lus albatross contract except for 800k,,and he needed to go..I am quite happy with the free cap space..opens up some good possibilities.

I don't get the fuss. We got a young depth center that everyone was crying for and a highly touted goalie prospect that will guaranteed have more success with the goalie coaches Vancouver has. We still have more depth at goalie than most teams, get off the ledge people.

Fact. The team is better today than it was yesterday and all for a player on a contract nobody wanted. Nevermind the fact that the contract is gone...for the most part.

Don't get me wrong this all should have happened 2 years ago, along with other players being shipped out, but it's a fabulous return for that contract.

Canucks just got out of a huge mess today. Superb job by GM today. Tallon is actually stupid enough to take Luongo's contract up until 2022. Luongo is 34 years old, he will be 42 when he retires. Don't forget ,next year Canucks free up 4.5 mil in cap space.

Two words...recapture penalty

I'd rather have gotten Huberdeau or Barkov instead (even if we had to add more). The Canucks' main issue is the lack of scoring and we haven't addressed that at all.

Because we were going to add Kesler+ to Luongo to try and convince Florida to trade their two young future superstars? People make it sound like being an NHL GM is easy.

Should have traded Schneider years ago. Instead we kept 2 elite goalies and created a controversy. Now we're left with 0 elite goalies.

You're assuming we got a reasonable offer at some point for Schneider that we could have taken. Gillis never stopped listening to calls on him, he just stopped actively shopping him once Luongo asked for a trade.

Archived