The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] Luongo's Legacy

Brendan Gaunce

Luongo's Legacy  

121 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In my mind, Lu was very, very close to getting jersey number retirement, but I don't think he played quite enough. Ring of Honour for sure, though.

As for the Hall of Fame, I'd say only if he wins a Cup, so it's conditional and therefore I can't really answer the poll...

However, assuming he finishes his career with Florida, I don't think he'll ever win a Cup.

Just to discuss what your input will be on Luongo. I personally think he will be inducted into the hall of fame and into the ring of honour. Tough to retire #1 when he ultimately didn't bring the cup. Great guy and will be missed.

+1 and I agree.

Luongo is the best goalie to ever play for the Canucks. If Mclean got into the Ring of Honour, I believe that Luongo will for sure. IMO, what Luongo did here is deserving of retiring his number, but it's hard to retire so many numbers without even winning one cup (including the Sedins and Luongo we'd have 7 retired numbers).

In my mind, Lu was very, very close to getting jersey number retirement, but I don't think he played quite enough. Ring of Honour for sure, though.

As for the Hall of Fame, I'd say only if he wins a Cup, so it's conditional and therefore I can't really answer the poll...

However, assuming he finishes his career with Florida, I don't think he'll ever win a Cup.

The Sedins will be in the HOF even they don't have a Cup... And there are a few players in there already that doesn't have a Cup too... Look at Bure, Sudin, etc...

Just to discuss what your input will be on Luongo. I personally think he will be inducted into the hall of fame and into the ring of honour. Tough to retire #1 when he ultimately didn't bring the cup. Great guy and will be missed.

didn't bring the cup except he took you to game 7 of the finals where u scored 0 goals. I don't think any goalie can "bring" a team any more than that.

Either retire his number of ROH, but I think it will ultimately follow a similar path to what the Canucks did for Bure.

For sure HHOF. He will ultimately go down as a top 10 goalie to ever play. Stanley Cups are team accomplishments, they mean nothing towards a player getting in or not.

ROH guaranteed and HHOF if he maintains his stats for another 5 years .. Florida should make the playoffs next year .. they have some serious young talent that is maturing .. Luongo may be named Captain there too ../g

I think he may end up getting his jersey retired, because he was our Captain, leads in all team goalie stats, brought this team out of mediocrity, was robbed of a Vezina, Jennings trophy winner, 2x gold medalist, and was the greatest goalie in Canucks history.

I also believe he will make the HOF because he has 2 gold medals and his stats are pretty awesome, especially if Luo can manage to get a cup before he retires.

No one else deserves to wear #1 once Lui retires. He's the man who gave life and represents that number and always will for the Nucks. That being said, retire his number.

As for HOF, bit tough but he'll make it. Even if he doesn't win a Cup, plenty of guys (goalies and players) have made it without winning so not that big of a deal especially with 2 gold medals in his back pocket, easy inductee.

Luongo will get into HOF and his number should be retired by this organization if they want to do something right for once. He gave us a chance every single year to compete and to get into the playoffs when in some seasons we had no business being there in the first place. He was the answer to our goalie graveyard, he brought excitement to this city and even through tough times he put the team ahead of himself by acting professionally. The guy is a class act and by the time he retires, his stats will reflect he will be a top 5 goalie of all time. Regardless if he didn't win a cup during his tenure here in Vancouver, he gave us a chance and the team as a whole collapsed when it mattered the most. So the better question should be, why wouldn't you retire his number with the exception of him not winning the Stanley Cup?

If his number isn't officially retired then it should be unofficially retired.

He should finish in top five all time for wins. He needs 80 victories to draw into that group and given he plays till he's 40... that is less than 20 wins a season. So, if he is inducted into the HOF, shouldn't his jersey be retired here as well? Bure's was and a couple of his best seasons came with a different team. All of Luongo's best years were here.

Statistically the greatest goalie in Canucks history. Deserves at least a Ring of Honour induction. A Stanley Cup ring should put him in the debate for a HOF induction.

2003, 2004 IIHF World Championship Gold

2010, 2014 Olympic Gold Medallist

16th on the all-time wins list

15th on the all-time shutout list

Excluding Brodeur and Hasek, there are only 3 goalies above him on both lists combined that aren't in the Hall of Fame. Point is, you can argue that Luongo is one of the best NHL goalies ever, at least from a purely statistical standpoint.

What really disgusts me, though, is that if Luongo had been traded after the 2011 Cup Finals, many of you on these boards and in Vancouver would have said "good riddance". Gillis and the Canucks have been flamed repeatedly for treating Luongo like crap, yet for so many years while he was here, that was the exact same thing many people on this forum and in this city were doing to him.

Everything that went wrong with the Canucks was somehow his fault. Hardly anyone in Vancouver aside from a select portion of the passionate fanbase gave him any support or came to his defence. Not until Luongo started getting shopped around so aggressively did people start changing their tune. While he has matured over the years, this is the same class act, funny as hell Luongo that has been around since day one, even if he didn't always show it.

I hope this city doesn't do the same thing to Eddie Lack. He deserves a lot better than what Luongo had to battle through, and despite all of it, he still came out with a smile on his face. In the end, that's what I'll remember Luongo for.

Archived