The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Official: Deadline Reactions

-SN-

I do believe what I touched on earlier...that this is a situation whereby perhaps the owners and management aren't seeing eye to eye or have the same vision for the team. I honestly saw Gillis in his interviews as a man who was ready for change - welcomed it. Had resigned to the fact that it wouldn't work any other way. But it seems he may have had his hands tied to some degree...which would be awful, because you have to trust in the people in place to do their jobs.

If there is tension at that level it's bound to tricke down...need everyone on the same page and united in the venture. Everyone's bought into the Occupy Gillis mentality but he doesn't get the final say and that has to be considered. He's a puppet to some degree.

Either way, I'm ok. Still reeling over Lu being gone but knew it would happen one day (or would it?).

Glad Kes is here, Edler too. That's just my own deal and no one needs to be critical of differing opinions. They are just that.

I do think some fans are programmed for this to be Christmas...run down stairs and tear open the stocking and see what surprises we get. But it's not...deals are few and far between. More complex than "just get'r done". It. just. isn't. there. at. times. Can't force deals that just aren't surfacing.

I've learned to expect little to nothing. I'm ok with that...it's a desperate time with a deadline...things can get crazy. You can't "rebuild" in a day...it's like looking for a cheap shovel in the hardware store during a blizzard.

Set the bar low and you'll avoid the disappointment. It is what it is.

Well written Deb.

+1

gillis doesn't know what hes doing..

by trading lu, he essentially said he was giving up on this terrible year and going the rebuild route.

its become obvious to everyone and their mothers this team is in dire need of a shakeup..

yet, Gillis could not pull anything off at a time where sellers usually get maximum value.

looks like he hasn't learned his lesson from the Schneider/luo debacle.

Umm guys gillis just denied that ownership stepped in to stop a trade and also said that the the return wasn't good enough today. I would rather he wait till the moment is right like he did with Lu. I know everyone is impatient but if there is anything we know about gillis is that he is a lot more patient compared to us.

I was impressed with the lu trade but he really needs to get a good return for kesler now that he has stated that's what he's looking for.

I wanted to see young scoring and picks to help turn the corner, but if the right deals weren't there I'm just fine with waiting. There's still the summer (draft deals and UFAs) and I find it hilarious how unrealistic some people are about what has (or hasn't) happened the last couple years.

One deal where ownership appears to have taken a stand does not mean they've been meddling in every deal. Some trades that didn't work or trades that didn't happen when you wanted them to under Gillis does not make him incompetent either.

It'd be great if everything worked perfectly for us and there wasn't reason to believe a perception that the NHL/Eastern media/refs/etc. are against us. Things don't always work out the way you want them to, and they could easily be worse.

The thing is though, if that one deal is to really establish the turning of the tides and it is nixed by the owners, it kind of leaves the guy answering for the team to scramble for answers. Plan B with a time limited expiration date deal.

He (Gillis) obviously was aiming to make some changes, get younger and clear out what was growing stale. So if they did "take a stance" it likely impacted the entire plan, not just as isolated to one move. In other words, maybe Gillis was ready to get the ball rolling and this just threw it into the gutter.

I really don't know, but I do get the feeling Gillis is but a puppet spokesman for the team moreso than totally in charge of things at this point. If so, I really feel for him because it's a crappy deal. I work in a similar situation and it is cowardly to use someone else to pick up the pieces when they aren't making the decisions. To clean up your mess(es).

I like the outcome. I don't like deadline decisions for the most part...they reek of desperation and often don't work out as planned. And being "stuck" with a guy like Kes? Well that's not a huge problem in my view.

Maybe Seattle will buy and move the team.

i hope not

i hope aqua's will hire a guy they will allow to do his job and not second guess him, allow him to hire his own coach not force someone down there throats and move players as they seem fit and not run things from behind the scenes like they clearly are doing right now.

of coarse gillis is saying these are all his decisions, he would never get another job if he threw them under the bus.it also make him look week i don't know about you but in my profession thats not an option.

Disappointed. Here was Gillis' chance to get a good return for this organization for Kesler. Now Kesler's value can go only go down. Whoever gets him will have him for 2 playoff runs, instead of 3.

If the return isn't there you can't make the trade. Whether his 'value' goes up or down is irrelevent if they aren't offered the right deal. Kesler is a star. Simple as that. If you trade a star you get a star in return, or something of equal value. Sutter is not that guy. I'm happy Gillis did not make that deal. Teams will pay for Kesler at the draft. He is still extremely sought after considering he has 2 more seasons at 5 mill. Considering the other players in the league making that kind of money, Kesler is a VERY tradeable asset, at anytime.

Deadline deals are often 'wreckless' (as Nonis said today), and he is right. If the right deal isn't there, you don't make the deal. We can all speculate but the fact of the matter is we don't know what was offered.

Kesler for 2 more years at 5 mill might not even be a bad thing for us if we are competitive the year after next.. albeit a big IF as it is looking at this point

I think the ownership stepped in and stopped the Kesler deal because they didnt want to see Gillis tear this team apart any worse then he already has. The ownership wants a cup here, and maybe they have finally realized Gillis is not the man for the job.

So you think that MG was just about to give Kesler away for a lousy return and the owner stepped in to save Gillis from himself..?

It is obvious that not too many of the CDC 'pundits' have ever ran a business or dealt with 'resource' management .. theere is more to it than waving a magic wand or stamping your feet when you dinna get your way. If ownership is not allowing Gillis to do his job, then put the blame where it belongs. Unfortunately, none of us know the machinations that go on behind the scenes.

The rampant hysteria exhibited here is a real 'riot' to watch, but it gets old after awhile .. lets all try and be a 'part of the solution'. or bog off and go cheer for the Leafs

Umm guys gillis just denied that ownership stepped in to stop a trade and also said that the the return wasn't good enough today. I would rather he wait till the moment is right like he did with Lu. I know everyone is impatient but if there is anything we know about gillis is that he is a lot more patient compared to us.

I was impressed with the lu trade but he really needs to get a good return for kesler now that he has stated that's what he's looking for.

It's obvious he's going to say that. He blames ownership and puts them down in public = fired on the spot. Gillis is sort of in a hostage situation. Speak the truth you're gone; don't, you're the scapegoat.

So you think that MG was just about to give Kesler away for a lousy return and the owner stepped in to save Gillis from himself..?

That did come to my attention.

Trading Lu does not make sense if the reports are true and they greedily wanted to make the playoffs.

Totally making this up but it would be a little disturbing if all MG could get from Shero was Depres, Sutter and a 1st and in an attempt to save his job, approached Aquaman with the offer who immediately who said no when he saw the return was crap.

We will know if Aquaman cans MG and Kesler gets moved by draft.

GM: Bring back Burke he'll get deals done and even fleeced other teams. And no BS excuses like ''its a process''

ie: JVR for Schenn

Phaneuf for scrubs

Lupul + gardiner

Coach: Torts is ok but his style doesnt fit this team and he brings lots of drama/distraction. Get someone like Laviolette: stanley cup champion as a coach, 2 stanley cup finals appearances..and without the drama torts brings.

Archived