The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Official: Deadline Reactions

-SN-

It is obvious that not too many of the CDC 'pundits' have ever ran a business or dealt with 'resource' management .. theere is more to it than waving a magic wand or stamping your feet when you dinna get your way. If ownership is not allowing Gillis to do his job, then put the blame where it belongs. Unfortunately, none of us know the machinations that go on behind the scenes.

The rampant hysteria exhibited here is a real 'riot' to watch, but it gets old after awhile .. lets all try and be a 'part of the solution'. or bog off and go cheer for the Leafs

What sort of business dealings do you have? You're obviously an expert on the subject.

No I dont think this, I think they stopped the deal because they saw the return was not enough, and did not want this team to be completley torn apart and devistated. Gillis has stated "the ownership had no involment in this decision". IF that is true the Gillis needs to go.

Confused: if the return wasn't enough, great on owndership to stop it; it is wasn't enough and Gillis didn't pull the trigger on his own, bad on Gillis???

I agree with all of you who have stated that Kesler DID NOT want out. All this stuff seems to be a media ratings game, more than a hockey decision. It starts right here in town with the Team1040, you just have to listen to Pratt and his bs, about everything. It really gets annoying. Put it this way folks, how many of us are privy to any of these so-called offers?? Certainly not anyone in radio land.

I don't know how we went from 2x Presidents Trophy winners, and Stanley Cup finalists to this in a span of just a few years. Those years seem like an eternity ago.

MG has single handedly crippled this team.

It's going to be a long, dark journey folks. The glory days are over and I honestly can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. No Cup in Van for a good long while.

MG was the GM when we won the Presidents trophy what changed was the coach. MG made some mistakes but by far his worst was hiring Torts.

We as fans just need to take a giant deep breath and realize we have ZERO control on asset management with our team. It a lot less stressful that way. The future is untold, we don't know managements plan. Maybe we move kesler at the draft for some top tier prospect(s) and a high pick in either '14 or '15 and we find ourselves in the running for Mcdavid. Would you be upset then? I wouldn't be. Let's just let things unfold.

Though, I would like to add that I think Gillis' critical mistake was letting Erhoff walk. I think he has learned from that as well. But the team never recovered from the loss of defensive production that he brought.. not to mention our powerplay hasn't been the same since. In my opinion that is the deal (or lack of) that sent this team downhill. But what can you do.

If we do end up rebuilding I think Torts is the right coach for the job. I think young guns coming into the league will benefit greatly from his passion. I also like how he has his players backs. He is the right coach (personality wise) for this cut throat market. I think the media, fans are just as much to blame for the current situation as management/ownership.

What sort of business dealings do you have? You're obviously an expert on the subject.

In an executive group, once a decision is reached, everyone goes away and supports it, regardless of whether or not you support it or what your position was leading to the decision. That's SOP.

I am disappointed that the Canucks didn't do more to shake up their roster. Most of us knew Luongo's days were numbered, but that doesn't solve the issues with the immediate problem, which is the scoring problems

There was a (slight) chance the Canucks could have at least salvaged this season with some moves for fresh, younger forwards.

In Ryan Kesler's case, he has all the tools and ability, but like many of the leaders on this team, you have to wonder about his mental state.

Losing in Game 7 after such a long season takes its toll on these guys, now that they know how hard it is to get there, they might not be as hungry to do it again. The sacrifice they make to play in the Finals is huge.

The Canucks are missing the drive to achieve, the desire for success. Most of them have been there, done that so many times the last few years that I could see them being numb to the outcome. It began with AV halfway through 2011-2012, after that Boston game. I thought changing the coach would help refocus them. Clearly this isn't the case.

This isn't a linemate chemistry issue, it's systemic throughout the entire lineup. This team played like garbage against a rival team they needed to beat to stay in good position for the playoffs. The Phoenix game was the biggest game for them since the Olympics, and they couldn't even get up for that.

How the Canucks are going to re-invent themselves with the same leaders is beyond me. If they can't motivate themselves to try to score some goals, no one else will be able to.

He weakens the team by trading Lu, and claims they needed the guts to start the retool.

Moving Diaz did what for us?

He makes no sense.

Those of you claiming ownership stopped things could be right, but were they wrong? People crapping all over the Aqualini's have to know it is a business and blowing up your product is not good for business.

Re the Kesler quote: Just heard it, definitely continuing with Lu's theme of sarcasm and using humour when addressing awkward situations. Maybe some truth behind it, but they did forget to quote the beginning and end parts where he said "I'm happy". Funny how that happens....

Looking at today I saw 3 possibilities involving Kesler;

I)Trade him for the big return he is worth.

II)Panic and trade him for a less than desirable return.

III)Don't trade him and see what is available in the offseason.

I will not say that option 3 was a win but it definitely is not a loss.

Signs point to the Canucks mailing it in for the last dozen and a half games. Canucks D doing pirouettes with the puck in their own zone with seconds left to tie the game last night says it all. I am sure MG could find much cheaper forwards who could also score zero goals in a game.

Archived