The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jacob Markstrom | #25 | G

Honeydew

When I Google - Explanation of NHL Waiver Rules - I get this....

Q: What about players that bounce frequently between different leagues? Do they need to clear waivers every time they are sent down?

A: No, a player need not clear waivers if the following three conditions are satisfied.

i) The player has already cleared waivers once in the current season

ii) Since the last time the player cleared waivers he has not played in 10 or more NHL games.

iii) Since the last time the player cleared waivers he has not spent 30 or more days on an NHL roster.

So does that we could call him up multiple times, and send him down without waivers, as long as the cummalative days he's on the Canucks roster isn't 30, assuming he plays no games while he's up? (does being the backup on the bench count against the 10 games?)

unless there is a new provision in the new CBA that i don't know about, that's only for when the player clears waivers and isn't sent down to the farm team right away.

I know we did that exactly for Ryan Parent when we got him in the Shane O'Brien trade. He cleared waivers but wasn't assigned right away.

My understanding is if he's called back up it doesn't immediately require him to clear waivers again, only if he's met that same criteria.

yes, if markstrom is recalled at any time he would be lost on waivers if we were to send him back down. eriksson is the safer recall

no he can be recalled and stay for amonth or 10 games before having to clear again. im a bit torn in this whole situation if jacob ends up regaining the hype and talent and he becomes part of the long term plans, then it's by to lack.which sucks because lack is a great guy off the ice from what i can see, has a good attitude, but i just don't see him as our #1 I think the miller signing was the right thing to do it's funny cuz all you heard after last yer was were done the twins suck edler sucks the window is closed. And yet twins and vrbata top 10, miller tops in wins. edler our best d burr bouncing back bones playing better then kess, and our best october in forever. and the icing on the cake is guys like jacob cole subban lighting it up and gys like gaunce shink fox all doing well. What a change from 6 months ago

“I think Jacob is going to be an NHL goalie, and an NHL goalie soon. It might even happen before the end of the year... We’re also extremely happy that some people were sleeping and allowed him to go through waivers because he’s a huge asset for us.”

B)

Rather sounds like he's in their plans.

love that quote from melanson ur right he's in the plans maybe more then we know

Markstrom Named CCM/AHL Goalie of the Month:

The American Hockey League announced today that Jacob Markstrom of the Utica Comets has been selected as the CCM/AHL Goaltender of the Month for October.

Markstrom made a run at the AHL record books during October and finished the month with a 4-0-1 record, a 0.99 goals-against average, a .963 save percentage and three shutouts while stopping 131 of 136 shots in five starts.

Markstrom made his first appearance of the season on Oct. 11 at Toronto and stopped 24 of 25 shots in Utica’s 2-1 victory. He followed that up with three consecutive shutouts, blanking his former San Antonio teammates (28 saves) on Oct. 17, Adirondack (29 saves) on Oct. 22 and Toronto (27 saves) on Oct. 25. Markstrom extended his shutout streak to 238:08 – a little more than 30 minutes shy of the all-time league record – before allowing a goal to Binghamton on Oct. 31, and finished the night with 23 stops in a 4-3 overtime loss.

A second-round pick (31st overall) by Florida in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, Markstrom owns a record of 65-58-8 with a 2.58 GAA, a .919 save percentage and 10 shutouts in 136 career AHL appearances with Utica, San Antonio and Rochester. The 24-year-old native of Gavle, Sweden, has also played 47 games in the National Hockey League with Florida and Vancouver. Markstrom was acquired by the Canucks in the Mar. 4, 2014, trade that sent Roberto Luongo to the Panthers.

In recognition of his achievement, Markstrom will be presented with an etched crystal award prior to an upcoming Comets home game.

http://www.uticacomets.com/markstrom-named-ccmahl-goalie-of-the-month/

• Upvote 1

Just an aside that likely isn't worth it's own thread, but New Jersey is putting Clemmenson on waivers today. He's come in in relief in two games (Schneider's started all 11 games so far) and has allowed four goals on 17 shots for a .765 save percentage and 6.49 GAA. Not impressive at all.

Devils to waive Clemmensen

Yeah, that's me suggesting they consider a Larsson trade for Markstrom. We'd have to add another piece, but maybe if they aren't sold on their goalies in the minors.