The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jacob Markstrom | #25 | G

Honeydew

Beyond the knee injuries he's had, it seems like the only real problem with this guy is that he's both big and athletic, and hasn't quite found the right style to combine those attributes. It's a nice problem to have, and Melanson should be able to help him solve it. I like what little I've seen of Matthais, too, and hope he can become an above average 3rd liner. It's going to take a while to separate these guys from how they were traded for Luongo and all that represents for the club, above all that we're in re-build mode. But in 2-3 years, if Markstrom comes anywhere near close to original expectations, the deal is going to look really good for us.

I really like the potential Markstrom has. He's only 24 and he's 6'4". I'm excited. Despite the fact it was Luongo we traded to get him it was a better return than it looks like. And, it's a heck of a lot better than what Scrivens and 2 2nds would've been that's for sure.

I'm surprised no one has started a thread yet,

I'd think that's mostly because he won't be considered a true prospect. He'll play in the NHL barring any performance related issues sending him to Utica, and he's already played a number of NHL games so he's basically past prospect status.

surprised hes not starting tonight. gunna be hard to develop him of hes not getting starts...

Not sure if serious? :unsure:

Why would we start him the day after he got here when we have a very capable goalie already? It's not like Luongo in Florida where they have no one else after trading away Thomas. They'll let him get comfortable with the guys and give Melanson a chance to work with him, then he'll get a start in one of the following games.

For how long can he play in the AHL without having to pass through waivers? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head aound the rules

No need to remember al the rules, when CapGeek covers it all for you: http://capgeek.com/waiver-calculator/

JACOB MARKSTROM IS EXEMPT FROM WAIVERS.

..........................................YEARS.GAMES

EXEMPT UNTIL..................4...........72

TO DATE..............................3...........43

REMAINING EXEMPTION.1...........29

So if he plays in 29 more games or one more year, then he'll have to pass through waivers.

Edited by elvis15

Just saw this write up posted too:

Will Vancouver offer new life for Markstrom?

What is the nicest way to say a player has been really bad? He has struggled? Had a tough go? Been on a rough ride? Well, whichever way you elect to say it, it is the truth about Jacob Markstrom’s NHL time with the Florida Panthers.

Once thought of as a prospect phenom, four years into his pro career the Swedish netminder has fallen well short of expectations. He has a .898 career save percentage in 43 games, which is far below the NHL .914 average.

His failure to emerge as the goalie of the future in Florida opened up the door for the Panthers to trade him to Vancouver in exchange for Roberto Loungo. It seems Eddie Lack is the Canucks’ No. 1 man now, but is it too soon to declare Markstrom a failure? Will he gain new life in Vancouver? Based on goalies of the past and his minor league numbers, there may still be a chance for the 24-year-old.

In 2012, Hockey Prospectus interviewed Markstrom. It was during the lockout and he was just beginning to shake off a poor start to the season. His spirits were high with expectations he would become the top goalie in Florida as soon as NHL play resumed. The former second-round pick sounded motivated to out-work the competition, saying: “I can’t relax. I want to play. I don’t want to be a backup goalie. I want to be a starter whether I’m in the NHL or I’m here (in San Antonio). So you have to be on your toes because there are always guys chasing you.”

When the season finally began, he did receive a chance to be the Panthers’ goalie. He managed only a .901 save percentage in 23 games and won only eight. This season things went even worse – Markstrom posted a .874 save percentage in 12 games and won one game. His play may have cost coach Kevin Dineen his job. It is not hard to see why he was expendable at the deadline.

However, the young netminder’s AHL statistics might give you pause. Since the 2011-12 season, he has posted a .922 save percentage. Go back a few years and compare that to some other goalie prospects who have emerged as NHL starters. In 2009-10, Braden Holtby had a .917 save percentage, Cory Schneider .919, Jhonas Enroth .919 and Devan Dubnyk .915. Jonathan Bernier ran away with the league that season at .936. The following year, Vezina Trophy race leader Ben Bishop posted a .914 in the AHL, while current Vancouver starter Eddie Lack had .926 and Edmonton goalie Ben Scrivens .924.

These goalies were considered raw at the time – much like Markstrom – and have turned into NHL goalies.

Does that mean he can make that .922 save percentage translate into quality NHL numbers as Holby, Schneider, Bishop and Bernier have? That is a difficult question. There have been just as many goalies who knock them dead in the “A” but can not stop a puck in the NHL. Veteran Curtis Stanford had an amazing .930 for the Hamilton Bulldogs in 2010-11, but only scored a .911 in extended NHL work for Columbus the next season. Nathan Lawson had an unbelievable .938 with Binghamton last year, yet in his NHL time with the Islanders managed a .893 save percentage.

Goalies are unpredictable, but the AHL numbers at least put Markstrom in the “don’t give up yet” category.

There is another factor – one that is highly debated amongst hockey stat folks: How the Panthers’ awful defense affects its goalie’s numbers. Some say no matter how bad a team is, the save percentage statistic should be mostly unaffected by poor defense – that a team will simply give up more shots and therefore more goals. It seems to go against intuition. It would seem that poorer defensive teams will make more mistakes, give up more odd-man rushes and more shots close to the net. Right? If that were true, why do great defensive teams like St. Louis have goaltenders with mediocre save percentages? At best, there is no clear answer.

For example, when Ryan Miller was traded off the league’s worst Buffalo Sabres, his save percentage was a solid .923. His backup Jhonas Enroth (albeit in a small sample) had a .906 save percentage.

You can spin this whichever way works for your narrative. 1) See how much better Miller is? That means he is overcoming the team and having an amazing year. 2) See how Enroth’s numbers are worse than his career .912 save percentage? It must be because of how bad the team is.

It might be a case-to-case basis. In the case of the Panthers and Markstrom, we know that no other goalie in the last two years has had any better luck than he did. Of course, we are not exactly talking about Dominik Hasek in his prime in Scott Clemmensen, Tim Thomas and Jose Theodore. Nonetheless, Markstrom has a .904 5-on-5 save percentage over the past two seasons, whereas the other three have a .907 EV save percentage.

In Vancouver, the goalie factory seems to spin out good netminder after good netminder. Rookie Eddie Lack has a .932 even-strength save percentage this season. This on the heels of Corey Schneider (.931 EV save percentage last year) rising up the ranks to challenge Roberto Luongo, who had a .921 EV save percentage this season.

They all might be good goalies or they all might be assisted by strong defensive play or something systematic. Again, there is not an exact answer – and the New Jersey Devils and Marty Brodeur show us that puck possession does not always help save percentage – but the Canucks are ninth in the NHL in Fenwick Close percentage and only five of the bottom 15 teams in save percentage had a plus-50 percent Fenwick Close percentage.

All we have is hints that the Canucks’ defense, possession and system might help Markstrom. We also have his age, pedigree and AHL stats. Is it enough to make a bold prediction that he becomes a top flight goalie in Vancouver? Not exactly. But the hints are enough to feel positive that it is too soon to call the 24-year-old a bust.

Why would we start him the day after he got here when we have a very capable goalie already? It's not like Luongo in Florida where they have no one else after trading away Thomas. They'll let him get comfortable with the guys and give Melanson a chance to work with him, then he'll get a start in one of the following games.

I also wanted to know this too... why did Florida get rid of Markstrom? I mean I checked Florida on hockey's future and other than Houser, it seems like they don't have any G prospects to play in the NHL. If Lu injured himself (I mean he's up there in the age now, so its not like being injured is a small probability). Wouldn't it make more sense for Florida to trade us Houser and a draft pick better for their G depth?

I also wanted to know this too... why did Florida get rid of Markstrom? I mean I checked Florida on hockey's future and other than Houser, it seems like they don't have any G prospects to play in the NHL. If Lu injured himself (I mean he's up there in the age now, so its not like being injured is a small probability). Wouldn't it make more sense for Florida to trade us Houser and a draft pick better for their G depth?

But then why would we accept that deal? Houser's not so special he'd be equal in value. Florida can make another deal to draft or trade for a goalie to fill their pipeline.

Florida certainly didn't seem as confident that Markstrom would be able to become a starter in the next couple years. I wasn't either considering they couldn't ease him in and develop him properly, but in previous years they'd had much more confidence in him. Here we can be a bit more patient with him so long as Lack is playing well. If anything doesn't work out we're still developing Eriksson and Cannata.

hey im not saying he should get all the starts. ya your right though lack is playing well. I just think we should give markstrom a test drive as soon as possible to see what he have to work with.

hey im not saying he should get all the starts. ya your right though lack is playing well. I just think we should give markstrom a test drive as soon as possible to see what he have to work with.

Markstrom will probably get a bunch of games once we're mathematically eliminated. :bigblush:

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet in the thread but there are a couple of interesting crossovers with Markstrom and Eriksson too, as well as Lack-Markstrom

Both Eriksson and Markstrom are from Gavle, a town of around 71,000 people, and they are only 3 months different in age. I think it would be fair to assume they've known each other for a long time, going back to childhood.

They both came up in the Brynas system, same as Lack played for later, and they played on that same team in the Swe Jr. league in 07-08, Markstrom with 22GP and Eriksson with 16GP. Eriksson took over the starter's role after Markstrom was promoted the next year to the Elite League.

Eriksson then left the Brynas system to go to Leksand in 09-10, the same system from which Eddie Lack just left to go to Brynas.

Crossovers all over here. I wonder who the goalie coach is in Brynas and if he is looking for a job with an NHL club?

Edited by theminister

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet in the thread but there are a couple of interesting crossovers with Markstrom and Eriksson too, as well as Lack-Markstrom

Both Eriksson and Markstrom are from Gavle, a town of around 71,000 people, and they are only 3 months different in age. I think it would be fair to assume they've known each other for a long time, going back to childhood.

They both came up in the Brynas system, same as Lack played for later, and they played on that same team in the Swe Jr. league in 07-08, Markstrom with 22GP and Eriksson with 16GP. Eriksson took over the starter's role after Markstrom was promoted the next year to the Elite League.

Eriksson then left the Brynas system to go to Leksand in 09-10, the same system from which Eddie Lack just left to go to Brynas.

Crossovers all over here. I wonder who the goalie coach is in Brynas and if he is looking for a job with an NHL club?

That's pretty cool, never knew that all our swedish goalies had some sort of connection in that way..