The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Future of this team and the direction it is going

5Fivehole0

Letting the Sedins go would make Vancouver the joke of the NHL, even more so than people think they are. If people can't see what they bring to this team then they don't know enough about hockey.

Luongo + Schneider for Horvat, Matthias, Markstrom.

Markstrom is widely considered one of, if not, the best goal tender prospect in the NHL right now. Couple that with Rollie, who is one of the best goal tending coaches in the NHL, and you have your new franchise goalie in a few years. Markstrom will be a success, you can bank on that.

Horvat for Schneider. We probably got jipped a bit on that deal, but it was do or die really. Horvat is another that will pan out, he's too good, plain and simple. He is going to turn out to be just as good, if not better than Kesler. That being said, we could have got a higher pick + prospect if GM'MG had just traded him to Edmonton.

Matthias is a young 3rd C who may have the ceiling of a 2C, maybe. His contract is up after 2015 season though, so a bit of a gamble but good chance he will resign if we start being successful. Still a risk though.

All in all, we traded 2 amazing goalies, 1 of which is top 5 in the league, and is world class. BUT we still have Lack who is already performing well above expectations and have a goalie who is ready to be a back up, at a back ups age. Lack is 26, same age Luo was when he took the reigns as a starter. Lack has also put up better numbers than Luongo.. That being said, Luo is the better goalie but wanted out after the Heritage Classic debacle.

As for centre depth?

Sedin, Kesler, Santorelli, Schreoder, Matthias, Richardson, Dalpe. We are actually not bad down the middle anymore. What we are lacking is top 6 wingers. As good as Kassian is getting, he isn't performing like a top 6 winger and Higgins is a mediocre top 6 and an amazing bottom 6 winger.

Sedin Sedin ______

____ Santorelli _____

Higgins Matthias Kassian

Booth Richardson Hansen

Buy out Burrows, keep Booth for his last year, trade Edler and Kesler to fill the holes in the top 6

With Luongo gone, and arguably the most cost effective goal tending tandem in the NHL. 14M for the best passers/chemistry in the NHL is going to look like nothing when cap goes up next season. Especially if we off load Edler and Kesler for some decent young forwards.

2 - 3 years from now we have another Stanley Cup team once Shinkaruk and Horvat start playing for the Canucks

Sedin Sedin Shinkaruk

Couturier Horvat Kassian

Santorelli Matthais Laughton

Lain Gaunce Archibald

Not sure how the D will look in 2-3 years but

Tanev Stanton

Garrison Corrado

______ _______

Lack

Markstrom

Not sure who will be #1 at that time but, I imagine a goalie contreversy.

There's your Stanley Cup

I know that isn't exactly what it would look like but it is close to what the possibility could be

I wouldn't buy out Burrows.

Sure, he might not be worth the 4.5 million but he does A LOT more than score goals. He is our second best defensive player and plays on our top PK unit. He also is clutch in the playoffs when we need him. He may not be doing well now, but I still see Burrows as the guy who will show up in the biggest games and work his butt off.

He also has good chemistry with the Sedins. Yes, everyone says "I could score 30 goals with the Sedins" but how many players have played with the Sedins as long as Burrows? None. He's the best guy to help the Sedins get out of their little funk.

In my opinion, Daniel is a bigger worry than Burrows. He has a much larger cap hit and isn't exactly the best at playing defence. He doesn't do much when he's not scoring...

Markstrom is no longer considered the top goalie prospect. That would probably be Gibson. Injuries have set him back, but you have to think either him or Lack will end up a very good starter. Lack is already showing signs of it.

Buying out Burrows? You have to think he'll eventually come back (probably next season) and be a 15-20 goal guy. Combined with his PK and versatility, it would cost you 4.5 to get a player like that by UFA. So why bother?

Markstrom is no longer considered the top goalie prospect. That would probably be Gibson. Injuries have set him back, but you have to think either him or Lack will end up a very good starter. Lack is already showing signs of it.

Buying out Burrows? You have to think he'll eventually come back (probably next season) and be a 15-20 goal guy. Combined with his PK and versatility, it would cost you 4.5 to get a player like that by UFA. So why bother?

Markstrom was also playing on a weaker team in Florida, I think under Rollie he flourishes

I don't mean to be negative, but I saw a quote on HFboards that I thought I might share here,

"Never underestimate Gillis' ability to destroy your hopes and dreams"

I thought it was bang on.

He came within one game of making your hopes and dreams

Letting the Sedins go would make Vancouver the joke of the NHL

Calgary's just 5 goals behind with 2 games in hand. If Calgary passes the Canucks that would give the Canucks the 29th best offense.

Newsflash - the Canucks already ARE the joke of the NHL. With the Sedins. Getting rid of them won't change anything except give GIllis 30 million dollars to find new players. You think you couldn't make a solid first line for 30 million?

Archived