The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler thoughts from a Chicago Blogger

lumberman

Huge Draft Day Rumor

March 6, 2014, 1:24 PM ET [9 Comments]

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on email Share on print More Sharing Services 0 John Jaeckel

chi.gif Chicago Blackhawks Blogger • RSSArchiveCONTACT

Follow JJ on Twitter @jaeckel

What the Blackhawks did at the trade deadline, in classic Stan Bowman form, was not much—but the one they deal they did make felt-lopsided toward the Hawks (good value in return for a second round pick), picking up a puck-rushing defenseman, and a Swedish one to boot.

Again, classic Stan Bowman form.

“We like our group here,” was the quote from Bowman yesterday, channeling his inner-Mike Smith.

What never really got reported was how close the Hawks came to landing the prize of draft day rumors—Vancouver center Ryan Kesler. Nor that there is apparently a possible deal “in place” for around draft day, involving Nick Leddy, possibly Andrew Shaw and, yes, top Hawk prospect, Teuvo Teravainen.

Teravainen, in fact, is the key.

A top source informed me this morning Canucks didn't move Kesler, although they had good offers from Anaheim and Pittsburgh, because they knew that Kesler might only waive his NTC to play with Patrick Kane.

Conversely, and like a lot of GMs, Mike Gillis covets Teravainen, and wanted (and still wants) him as a focal point of any deal.

Being up against the cap—as Bowman himself pointed out in his presser yesterday—the Hawks were unable to make the moves necessary to free up the cap space to make the deal yesterday.

Teravainen, I’m told, will be showcased for the Canucks after his season ends in Finland. The cap space would come from moving Johnny Oduya (to possibly Toronto or Calgary for picks, and Leddy as part of the Kesler deal). The Hawks have made it known that they not only like yesterday’s acquisition, blueliner Rundblad, but also defense draftees Stephen Johns and Klas Dahlbeck.

Why all this subterfuge around Ryan Kesler?

Because he is Jonathan Toews-lite, a known commodity who plays hard at both ends of the ice—and could be key to re-signing one Patrick Kane.

It was Kane, as first reported here, who went to Hawk management after the Olympics and lobbied for them to acquire Kesler as his center.

It is Kane, who unlike Jonathan Toews, has not sounded like his re-signing in Chicago is a slam dunk.

Read. Digest. Process. Connect the dots.

That’s all I have for now.

I don't mind the hawks as much as I used too. They are a good team and you have to give credit where credit is due. From a pure hockey fan standpoint, you would have to stand in awe and admire that Chicago team with Kesler on it. I would be watching their games for sure.

Leddy teravainen and shaw? Hell ya! If cap was an issue, why not swap Bickel for Hansen? I'd still do that deal too. I hope Chicago doesn't change their minds at the draft. If they do, that's a big fail on MG's part. You're not getting a better package for Kesler. Maybe that's why they traded for Rundblad, to replace Leddy?

You have to admit, Shaw and Teuvo would be huge pieces coming back for us, add in a pick or two and this is a deal the canucks could run with. Solid player in Shaw, Teuvo with top 3 potential.

Meh, could be worse. We could be the oilers

Shaw, Leddy, Teravainen?? If we could get a 1st if Chicago finishes in the 26th-29th range too Gillis (or whoever our GM is by then) should take it and run like he's never ran before.

Knowing our luck, teravainen will Center the hawks 2nd line and light it up in the playoffs, and shaw will score the cup winning goal. The hawks will realize they don't need Kesler and not trade for him at the draft.

You have to admit, Shaw and Teuvo would be huge pieces coming back for us, add in a pick or two and this is a deal the canucks could run with. Solid player in Shaw, Teuvo with top 3 potential.

Meh, could be worse. We could be the oilers

Figuratively speaking... While there may be some talent there, these guys are small. I have concerns over this as the defense is already on the light side.

regards,

G.

Yikes! What a report. I'd be stoked IF Gillis has interest in acquiring TT who is a very special viking....but Kesler on the Hawks?1 I have to agree with CES....it would make me cringe.

I've vowed to hate Duncan Keith for life...or at least until he comes up with comments of remorse for all his sneak-attack retributions on un-suspecting players...like our mild-mannered Daniel Sedin. I kno' he whimpered an apology at Carter, after becoming a daddy & was leniently dealt with there - too. But IMO, he hasn't been punished nearly enough to stop those sorts of deeds...so I NEED to hear it...before he ever leaves my bad books...Team-Canada Gold-medalist - or not!

Kesler & Kane?! They must really want to build upon their chemistry together...to make a SCup & US Ice Hockey Olympic Gold Medal, more of a reality for both 'em... by 2018.

If the Canucks can acquire Teravainen..... you take that deal... and run...

Or maybe we could convince Kane to sign with Vancouver and play with his buddy, Kesler :bigblush: That would be even better and it would be a slap to the face of Chicago faithfuls, their team and management.

Archived