The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Draft 2014 - First Round Pick

VegasCanuck

Okay, first of all if this already exists somewhere, my apologies. I kept getting a database error when I tried searching Forums for "Draft"

If the season ended today, we're drafting top 10! I think we're currently sitting about 8th. Islanders currently are sitting about 4th overall pick. Question is, what do you think it would take to trade up a few positions and snag Sam Reinhart?

If we're in retool (or rebuild, whatever you really want to call it) mode and the Sedins are our untouchables, we really have to consider that next year or the following, they really need to slide back on ice time to where they are playing 2nd line minutes. Anymore than this and I think we're already seeing what happens, they become ineffective likely due to exhaustion.

We're going to need a strong center who grow quickly into first line minutes and start taking some pressure off them.

I think Horvat is going to be really good for us down the road, but I see him sliding more into Kesler's roll as a strong second line, 2 way center who also handles checking duty on a lot of the oppositions top lines.

So, looking a couple of years down the road and the idea that asking a team to slide back in the first round 3 - 5 positions isn't asking as much as asking them to slide back 10 - 15 positions, what do we offer / what does it take to grab a home town boy and future #1 center for this team?

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd love to see in a few years something that looks like:

Shinkaruk Reinhart Kassian (assuming of course that Kassian continues to progress towards his full potential)

-------- Horvat Jensen

That as 5 of our top 6

My bad, the Islanders don't have their first rounder this year. They traded it to Buffalo in the Vanek deal.

Buffalo currently holding (based on current standings) 1st and 4th pick this year. Could we pry 4th in exchange for 8th (assuming that's where we finish) and an extra prospect or pick?

we don't know if trades in the summer net us more 1st round picks.....if we end up out of the playoffs, we could move up further

when the order is picked...i believe we can move up 3 or 4 spots on the roll of the ping pong balls,,,,so if we end up in 24th place,

we could up to 3rd or 4th pick.....and if we end up with another 1st rounder we might be able trade up further.

Yes, this is MG's plan. If Kes is traded for something nice and we draft top 10, we would basically have rebuilt in 1 season. Let Lack dig his feet in b/c he will be starter next yr, lets tank a bit more. It doesn't even matter if we trade up or not, this pick if top 10 is for the future and a mere bonus, it won't immediately help in the rebuild.

Realistically, best case scenario is we don't push for a PO spot and give some young guys some play time here. Really figure out what we have in Guance/Jensen/Corrado and then play the offseason well.

Put Kesler with the Sedins

Let the younger guys fill the rest.

Im not in the group that think new threads on already discussed topics are annoying because i enjoy the discussion but if you want to chime in on whats already been talked about i started this thread not too long ago.

Enjoy! As for me, i really like Virtanen. If we had a 6th pick i wouldn't mind trading down to 10th,picking up a second or something and picking Virtanen. A big guy who has the best shot and skating in the draft thats from Van. Yes Please!!!

Sam Reinhart is good, but not worth trading up for. Let's just pick the best player available when it's our turn... PLEEEEASE!

Not some more perimeter-playing lightweight, heartless garbage. We've suffered as fans long enough here I think. Even our so-called peak that we've just had here was filled with suffering.

Basically Gillis and his enept eye for talent are GONE as soon as the winning captain raises the Stanley Cup. Kesler was trade blocked due to the fact that the NEW guy with have some moxy to get someone to play with Kesler.

Ownership KNOWS we have less chance of making the playoffs than a Smartee's chance for survival at a Weight Watcher's convention. But they cant admit it for revenues sake.

if we win 5 more games till end of the year, I will be amazed. Surely we will be picking 5th or higher.

We have 3 threads on debate of who we pick. Draisatl, Vatanen, Pirini, Dal Colle, Ehlers.

Maybe we trade up

maybe we trade down in hopes of garnering more assets

maybe we trade it to Edm or Buf for their 1st in 2015

Plenty of options when we are picking that high

This draft is brimming with heart-and-soul, power forward-types like DalColle, Draisaitl, Ritchie, Perlini, Virtanen, and Tuch. If we continue our current pace, we will most certainly have a shot at 3-4 of these players (maybe more, if Dal Colle or Draisaitl fall outside the top 5). If I'm Gillis, I'd find a way to snatch up a second top 10-15 pick and draft Ritchie and local boy Virtanen.

If you want to change a team's culture, you don't hire a coach like Torts and ask him to force square pegs into round holes. You start at the draft and bring in players who fit the team mould. Imagine a forward core of Horvat, Ritchie, Virtanen, Kassian, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, and Jensen, moving forward? That's a good mix of skill, size, and heart.

I posted a proposal similar to this before and still think this is something possible on the draft day

to NYI

Kesler

Edler

to VAN

Strome

G. Reinhart

2014 1st Round Pick

The reason why the Islanders do this is that they would absoulutely have to make the playoffs next year. One being that they will be moving to the Barclay Center the season after and they will need to sell tickets. The other is that they have traded their 2015 1st rounder to Buffalo already in the Vanek trade. If they didn't make the playoffs and somehow get the top 3 picks and miss the chance to get McDavid, I think their fans would turn on them for sure. Kesler and Edler both fill their needs and they have the cap space to fit them both.

The reason why Kesler and Edler would waive is that they are going to the best city in the world and the team is moving to a really nice arena in Barclay Center. The Islanders is also a team on the rise and with Kesler and Edler, it's a good bet that they would make the 2015 playoffs and maybe even have a run.

For us, we would get 3 nice pieces for our rebuild. The 3 of them should all be grade A prospects and should all be able to be put into our lineup in the new season. Hopefully we get to get Sam Reinhart and have the Reinhart brothers play at home.

I posted a proposal similar to this before and still think this is something possible on the draft day

to NYI

Kesler

Edler

to VAN

Strome

G. Reinhart

2014 1st Round Pick

The reason why the Islanders do this is that they would absoulutely have to make the playoffs next year. One being that they will be moving to the Barclay Center the season after and they will need to sell tickets. The other is that they have traded their 2015 1st rounder to Buffalo already in the Vanek trade. If they didn't make the playoffs and somehow get the top 3 picks and miss the chance to get McDavid, I think their fans would turn on them for sure. Kesler and Edler both fill their needs and they have the cap space to fit them both.

The reason why Kesler and Edler would waive is that they are going to the best city in the world and the team is moving to a really nice arena in Barclay Center. The Islanders is also a team on the rise and with Kesler and Edler, it's a good bet that they would make the 2015 playoffs and maybe even have a run.

For us, we would get 3 nice pieces for our rebuild. The 3 of them should all be grade A prospects and should all be able to be put into our lineup in the new season. Hopefully we get to get Sam Reinhart and have the Reinhart brothers play at home.

Edler has already stated that he aint goin anywhere

Kesler wont go there either.

Neither will anyone else with a NTC

My bad, the Islanders don't have their first rounder this year. They traded it to Buffalo in the Vanek deal.

Buffalo currently holding (based on current standings) 1st and 4th pick this year. Could we pry 4th in exchange for 8th (assuming that's where we finish) and an extra prospect or pick?

The pick was conditional, the Isles retain their pick this year since it is top 10.

I'm being kinda biased here because I've seen quite a bit of these guys this year but I think if Michael Dal Colle (Oshawa) or Sam Bennett (Kingston) are available they are both great choices. I've managed to watch a few Generals vs Frontenacs games this year which are always great games with these two battling head to head.

Dal Colle is a pretty complete package and a decent size. Tough to tell how he will handle being roughed up with the big boys because he has a massive team in Oshawa literally shielding him each and every game.

Bennett is small and actually pretty tough considering his profile lists him at a VERY generous 6'0". The one word I constantly describe him as is "shifty". Makes passes and plays he has no business make in spots that you'd never imagine before you even realize it. Great hands ... like ... really great hands.

Archived