The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is next year finally going to be the youth movement?

dontstresskes

I was hoping this year we would install some youth with our aging core to have something to be excited about this season. I thought both Hunter Shinkaruk and Bo Horvat would of been good additions to the team and could of been mentored by our star players. Being around this current team, who have had ups and downs would of helped them and prepared them for the rest of their careers. I am sure we will see some changes with our core players leaving during summer/draft and believe next year we should focus on giving these young players a fare chance.

Hunter Shinkaruk will be healed from his surgery and ready to compete. Bo Horvat looks like he's not far away. This Dane Fox kid, watching his highlights and his goal scoring ability is quite impressing. I think he will surprise us and be a steal like a Brad Marchand/Dave Bolland type player for us. Nicklas Jensen seems to be finally getting into a grove in the AHL right now too. Jordan Subban has tremendous upside and could be one of the late steals of the draft. I think Frankie Corrado has been decent everytime he's played for us and just needs a whole entire season to find his groove. I hear all the knocks on Brendan Gaunce, but he does good where ever he goes. I think a entire season next year under his belt will help him too.

I'm hoping we give these kids a legitimate chance next year. Put them with our aging roster, trade some players away, acquire some more youth talent and we can do a quick retool like San Jose did.

We need a kid line next year. Move Brendan Gaunce to RW. Bo Horvat centering Dane Fox and Brendan Gaunce would be insane. Bo Horvat and Dane Fox are good friends. Brendan Gaunce and Dane Fox are currently playing together in Erie. That would be a good second line. Sedin Sedin Kassian, Fox Horvat Gaunce, Shinakruk Matthias Burrows, Hansen Richardson Higgins. Damn that looks good on paper lol.

I was hoping this year we would install some youth with our aging core to have something to be excited about this season. I thought both Hunter Shinkaruk and Bo Horvat would of been good additions to the team and could of been mentored by our star players. Being around this current team, who have had ups and downs would of helped them and prepared them for the rest of their careers. I am sure we will see some changes with our core players leaving during summer/draft and believe next year we should focus on giving these young players a fare chance.

Hunter Shinkaruk will be healed from his surgery and ready to compete. Bo Horvat looks like he's not far away. This Dane Fox kid, watching his highlights and his goal scoring ability is quite impressing. I think he will surprise us and be a steal like a Brad Marchand/Dave Bolland type player for us. Nicklas Jensen seems to be finally getting into a grove in the AHL right now too. Jordan Subban has tremendous upside and could be one of the late steals of the draft. I think Frankie Corrado has been decent everytime he's played for us and just needs a whole entire season to find his groove. I hear all the knocks on Brendan Gaunce, but he does good where ever he goes. I think a entire season next year under his belt will help him too.

I'm hoping we give these kids a legitimate chance next year. Put them with our aging roster, trade some players away, acquire some more youth talent and we can do a quick retool like San Jose did.

Gaunce is not NHL ready. In fact, he has taken a step back this year in the OHL or at least not grown at all and he may never be a significant NHL player. He needs at least a year or two in AHL even in the best case scenario.

Devil's advocate here: what do you do with Horvat/Shinkaruk etc if they have a terrible training camp?

I'm all for a youth movement, but the way some CDCers automatically throw them on the 2nd line next year like it's an automatic landing spot for them just makes me shake my head.

Devil's advocate here: what do you do with Horvat/Shinkaruk etc if they have a terrible training camp?

I'm all for a youth movement, but the way some CDCers automatically throw them on the 2nd line next year like it's an automatic landing spot for them just makes me shake my head.

First of all, if you watched this years training camp Shinkaruk and Horvat look like they could compete with the players we have on our team at the moment. The way our team has been playing this year, I can even make a case thay they would of been on the first line easily. Obviously they would have to compete but the goal would be giving them a damn chance to atleast get a shot to anchor a line. We throw the kids back down, even when they play good. If they stink, that's on management for damaging their confidence.

Gaunce is not NHL ready. In fact, he has taken a step back this year in the OHL or at least not grown at all and he may never be a significant NHL player. He needs at least a year or two in AHL even in the best case scenario.

He has 63 pts this year. Had 60 last year. Sure his goals dropped but he's passing a little more lol

First of all, if you watched this years training camp Shinkaruk and Horvat look like they could compete with the players we have on our team at the moment. The way our team has been playing this year, I can even make a case thay they would of been on the first line easily. Obviously they would have to compete but the goal would be giving them a damn chance to atleast get a shot to anchor a line. We throw the kids back down, even when they play good. If they stink, that's on management for damaging their confidence.

Your post makes sense except for the idea that 'they would have been on the first line'. They're not ready for that at all. You need to be a damn good hockey player to hold that role and these guys are nowhere near that ballpark. Even as second-liners they're not near ready. A good training camp next year could/should have them playing as third-liners. Gotta bring them along with some degree of caution.

They don't have any youth for a youth movement. This is all due to the worst job of drafting and development in NHL history. This team has lost an entire generation of players and it will be close to a decade before we see the playoffs again. People need to get real here. This team is done for a long, long time.

Next years team will be a lot more entertaining. I knew this year was going to be a wash which I'm fine with because we need the high draft pick, I was just hoping to trade kes while his value was high for picks. Whatever though I guess the deal wasn't good enough

Daniel Henrik Kesler

Santorrelli Schroeder Kassian

Jensen Horvat. Mattias

Sestito. Richardson. Lain

Horvat should make the team, nothing else to learn in the minors. Gaunce Shinkaruk and Fox can all play AHL which will be great to actually have prospects on our farm for once.

The only thing with my line up is that we will have a ton of cap space especially with a booth buy out so who knows which UFA we target. I can see Schroeder being expendable if he doesn't put up points the rest if the season. He looks great out there but he's too small for the bottom lines and needs point production to stay

If they're ready, sure. However, we should not be looking to rush our prospects if they are to be the foundation going forward.

They aren't necessarily the type of propsects used in "youth movements". Not immediately NHL-ready. They need more development. We didn't have the luxury of picking top-3, multiple years in a row.

Vancouver with their system in place will not bring players who are very young into the lineup except for a quick stint. They will not burn a year of their entry level contract for a youth movement. Their model is to bring them along slowly and hopefully have them with the big club when they are 21 at the earliest for the most part. They will continue to pay verteran castoffs from other teams and leave their youth off the roster. Perhaps next year we will see Jensen more, but Horvat, Gaunce and Shinkaruk wil not make the roster whether they deserve it or not based on their business model.

Archived