The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mixed feelings: 2013-14 Broken Heart

goodnessgracious

I was a late fan to hockey. I grew up in Surrey, was kind of a weird kid. Played in my imagination, talked to myself, while other kids liked sports and had a lot of friends. I was a quitter, enrolled in skating lessons, quit. Martial Arts? Quit. I didnt have a hobby, didnt really like anything.

I started watching hockey the day after Luongo was traded. I remember my dad telling me how excited he was because "our team" finally got a new goalie, who was one of the best. I didnt know what a goalie was, what hockey was, and why he would care. The 2006-2007 season, was the first time I followed the game. Luongo was my favorite player. I bought his Jersey, had Luongo bobble heads, t-shirts, hockey cards that were framed. I had a luongo party for my 12th bday.

I love hockey. But after the trade, I feel shattered. Lost. I have never felt like that over something that wasnt literally involved in my life, and scoffed at fans who were so upset about losing a player. Im pretty upset. I feel like I have lost a best friend, as silly as that sounds. Luongo was the reason I watched hockey, played hockey, and wanted to be a goalie. And now that hes not here anymore, I feel like the Canucks betrayed him, and while its not fair for me or anyone to say that, because we dont know what really goes on, its still a situation that was handled badly.

I am now questioning my loyalty to this team. Not because were losing, I can handle a bad season, but the treatment of Luongo, and other players, shines a really crapty light on this organization. That makes me ashamed, esspecially since just a couple years ago we were the best at almost everything to do with the game.

Gillis wants to mold a Detroit model? He's doing a pretty horrible job. Were starting to get into Islander, Flames territory.

End Rant.

Islanders Flames territory? We were there before Luongo was traded for a bag of pucks. This debacle is going to epic proportions.

We all want to rant right now.... But there are more than enough rant posts atm

Islanders Flames territory? We were there before Luongo was traded for a bag of pucks. This debacle is going to epic proportions.

We all want to rant right now.... But there are more than enough rant posts atm

Yea you are right. At least the Islanders have a superstar.

So how do you feel about our Captain doing absolutely nothing in this time when a captain is needed? Or the unprofessionalism our players are showing?

Canucks are showing their true colors right now, not just their management.

Sorry to say, but Luongo is in decline, and had been for a couple of years now. Add in all the distraction and it's good that we moved him on, let alone receiving a couple decent assets in return.

I guess you'll just have to decide if you love the game and the team, or if you just were a Luongo puck-bunny who hopped on the bandwagon when they were winning.

You could always join the Florida Panthers' fan club. At least you have experience talking to yourself.

I was a late fan to hockey. I grew up in Surrey, was kind of a weird kid. Played in my imagination, talked to myself, while other kids liked sports and had a lot of friends. I was a quitter, enrolled in skating lessons, quit. Martial Arts? Quit. I didnt have a hobby, didnt really like anything.

I started watching hockey the day after Luongo was traded. I remember my dad telling me how excited he was because "our team" finally got a new goalie, who was one of the best. I didnt know what a goalie was, what hockey was, and why he would care. The 2006-2007 season, was the first time I followed the game. Luongo was my favorite player. I bought his Jersey, had Luongo bobble heads, t-shirts, hockey cards that were framed. I had a luongo party for my 12th bday.

I love hockey. But after the trade, I feel shattered. Lost. I have never felt like that over something that wasnt literally involved in my life, and scoffed at fans who were so upset about losing a player. Im pretty upset. I feel like I have lost a best friend, as silly as that sounds. Luongo was the reason I watched hockey, played hockey, and wanted to be a goalie. And now that hes not here anymore, I feel like the Canucks betrayed him, and while its not fair for me or anyone to say that, because we dont know what really goes on, its still a situation that was handled badly.

I am now questioning my loyalty to this team. Not because were losing, I can handle a bad season, but the treatment of Luongo, and other players, shines a really crapty light on this organization. That makes me ashamed, esspecially since just a couple years ago we were the best at almost everything to do with the game.

Gillis wants to mold a Detroit model? He's doing a pretty horrible job. Were starting to get into Islander, Flames territory.

End Rant.

Like someone speaking straight from my heart, I hear ya loud and clear brotha, it didn't really sink in until later that night and I had a hard time sleeping. I was depressed the next couple days. Honestly, I don't think Lu wanted to be traded anymore. Watching his interviews in Florida and his body language and what he's saying, and also the fact that he was tweeting about the Canucks game last night, just makes me think that even though he is in Florida, his heart is still up here. I think he is going to miss the big show. I really hope the next GM brings him back for his twilight years so he can retire a Canuck, Would be nice for fans to see Luongo for the great goalie he is, and not just as a cap problem. Anyways, I will probably end up going to Florida at some point to watch some cheap games and get try to get an autographed Panthers jersey.

Luongo will forever be known as a Canucks icon, when people think Luongo, they will associate him to his years as a Canuck. Also if it makes you feel any better, at the heritage classic, the fans gave Lu a great goodbye by chanting for him, something he hadn't heard in a long time. Its a shame Mike Gillis couldn't hear it through his pompous beard though.

Also don't mind these assholes calling you a band-waggoner. Its just a way of someone trying to convince themselves they are superior to you.

Like someone speaking straight from my heart, I hear ya loud and clear brotha, it didn't really sink in until later that night and I had a hard time sleeping. I was depressed the next couple days. Honestly, I don't think Lu wanted to be traded anymore. Watching his interviews in Florida and his body language and what he's saying, and also the fact that he was tweeting about the Canucks game last night, just makes me think that even though he is in Florida, his heart is still up here. I think he is going to miss the big show. I really hope the next GM brings him back for his twilight years so he can retire a Canuck, Would be nice for fans to see Luongo for the great goalie he is, and not just as a cap problem. Anyways, I will probably end up going to Florida at some point to watch some cheap games and get try to get an autographed Panthers jersey.

Luongo will forever be known as a Canucks icon, when people think Luongo, they will associate him to his years as a Canuck. Also if it makes you feel any better, at the heritage classic, the fans gave Lu a great goodbye by chanting for him, something he hadn't heard in a long time. Its a shame Mike Gillis couldn't hear it through his pompous beard though.

Also don't mind these assholes calling you a band-waggoner. Its just a way of someone trying to convince themselves they are superior to you.

I seriously appreciate your thoughtful post. I didnt really connect the fact that hes still tweeting about the canucks, and its probably more than true that part of him is missing what he had in Vancouver, media or not. You made some really clear and insightful points, love it. And yea some people are asses, but its the internet so yenno, grain of salt, all that jazz :)

But seriously, thanks for actually reading the thing and taking the time to say something. Makes me feel better knowing that im not alone with how I feel. Im glad others appreciate Luongo, and everything that he has done for this organization. I surely am not the only one who lost their favourite player to another team just a couple days ago.

BTW, love Ron Swanson so much.

Sorry to say, but Luongo is in decline, and had been for a couple of years now. Add in all the distraction and it's good that we moved him on, let alone receiving a couple decent assets in return.

I guess you'll just have to decide if you love the game and the team, or if you just were a Luongo puck-bunny who hopped on the bandwagon when they were winning.

You could always join the Florida Panthers' fan club. At least you have experience talking to yourself.

As much of a stupid post this was, and such a poor analysis of what I said, I still appreciate you posting. Im not a Luongo "Puck Bunny", and was simply trying to say "I do not like the way the situation was handled, I do not appreciate Gillis not having a game plan by trading away TWO star goaltenders, I DO question my loyalty to the Canucks organization, simply because of the Aquallini family and Gillis, not because I dislike the team."

And for your information I am not a bandwaggoner, I understand why you'd think that over my long post, but assure you I still have my heart in vancouver, and always will.

Lol at these replies, esp Sarah McLaughlin and Ron Burgundy.

Dude, I know how you feel. I started watching hockey in 2010 after attending a game and Luongo was my favourite player, still is my favourite player, and I have been furious over how he has been treated since the cup run. Absolutely hate MG. I also felt sad and depressed for a day or so but really, it's what he wanted and who can blame him. I've come to realize that you can still be a fan of a player when they move teams and can still wear your Luongo jersey proudly and you can still watch him play!

Hell, ill probably be sporting a panthers Luongo jersey out of love and spite because until MG goes I'm not spending a dime on Canucks merchandise. Still will wear my Burrows and Kesler shirts tho of course :D

Archived