The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mixed feelings: 2013-14 Broken Heart

goodnessgracious

Islanders Flames territory? really guys? with a prospect pool that includes players like Horvat, Jensen, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Fox, Kassian, Subban, Corrado, Markstrom,Cassels and the possibility of another good prospect at the upcoming draft I definately do not think we are as bad off as most of you think... so much negativity flowing CDC makes me hate most of this fanbase..

I was with you until you added Kassian to the list.

When I was a younger man than I am now, I wondered about what would happen after Bure got dealt and if I could even handle a post-Pavel era as a Canucks fan. ......

I hear ya bro. And goodnessgracious, you should take heed. I too came on board full time with the Canucks when we got Bure. Very similar to your Lu situation. I went through the 5 stages of grief when he was traded. But I hung in there, soldiered on through the Messier disaster and was rewarded with the West Coast Express glory years to enjoy. Of course then the Naslund/Moore/Bertuzzi catastrophe where we lost both Bertuzzi and Naslund, their spirit and eventually themselves. But I once again hung in to watch the "sisters" prove everyone wrong, and Kesler and Burrows develop into top players, and of course the signing of Luongo and that first great year where he almost single-handedly took us into the playoffs and then almost set a record when he stopped 72 shots, en route to a 5–4 quadruple overtime victory against Dallas in the first round, before losing to the Ducks in the second. It eventually culminated in that 2011 SCF run.

So you gotta decide goodnessgracious if you are just a fan of one player, or a bandwagoner or a fan of the Canucks through thick or thin.

Here is an example of the classic bandwagoner:

Not only do I have mixed emotions I am now numb and will not watch Canucks to a dead things revisited. I blame Gillis and Tortorella for this. Gillis had to have seen it coming and did squat about youth moment instead signing guys to no trade contracts.Nows he's screwed the Sedins into taking the hometown discount can't see Bieksa sticking around playing this paint drying system. Last night was worst I've seen in a decade. I can't stand by and watch Gillis and Tortorella do what they did to Luongo. Not to mention what Gillis did to Schneider. Now we have an AHL team with a whole bunch of disgruntled pros shame on you Mr Aquillini for allowing this to happen. How you gonna fill the new hotel suites and seats in your building with a loser team. If Tortorella is kept here to work under Mr Boob we will be in for a lot of lost revenues from empty seats. Good luck with the re branding I won't be here for it.

You can bet he'll be back if somehow the Canucks squeeze into the playoffs.

So its your choice.

First of all, be pissed off all you want but only fair weather fans question their loyalty. So just know that.

Also... I disagree with your broken heart assessment. I would call this year more of an epiphany than anything. Change is needed. It was obvious from Oct that we weren't going to compete with the Cali teams.

It's not all that bad. Then again when one looks at the standings Vancouver only has 7 more wins than Edmonton and Edmonton is closing the gap.

The heart of this team is done, Torts or no Torts. You can change all the pieces that control the team thinking the team will miraculously change. Gillis talked change, I believed him, and he changed nothing on the ice.

I am very bored watching Hanson and Higgins getting top line minutes when they should be on the third line. Gillis and Co. are delusional thinking even that they have a number one line let alone a second and third line. I didn't even bother mentioning the 4rth line. Sestito I like.

Zach Dalpe - really, what's with this guy? What are we waiting for? Has any one seen it? A boring player that's useless. Didn't he get scooped up during training camp or one of these ,"give this guy one more chance guys?" Another guy with no finish, not even close. Why isn't a younger developing player getting this guy minutes?

Jordan Schroeder - what was Gillis thinking when he drafted this guy? I was at a Canucks function last fall and saw Schroeder hobbling around on crutches. For a big mans sport didn't Gillis take a look at this guys size or drive? When I think small successful player if they're not Cliff Ronning types they're not going any where. How many of those guys come along? Very few and they are visibly hungry no matter how big the opponent. Schroeder is another small guy that bounces of opponent or can't finish.

Zach Kassian the man child that refuses or may never grow up. So much potential and so little control. Another gamble trade. Ok, so they had to get rid of Hodgson, I don't dispute that one. But why gamble with such a valuable asset in Hodgson and get Kassian in return on pure Hope. We all see the potential and we all see the result thus far. The latest repeat offender suspension is another one step forward 2 steps backward scenario. Yet again. I'm sure Gillis could have made a safer trade with less Gamble to it. With all this Money Ball talk it aint worken .

Yanick Weber. Signed as a depth defenseman has done almost nothing. That was a big off season pick up wasn't it? Getting bigger and harder to play against? Come on Mike Gillis, your arrogance

has you out of touch with your fan base. We might fight amongst ourselves but we know hockey. Picking up Yanick Weber in the off season is a slap in the fans face and your statement of getting bigger and tougher to play against.

Hanson and Higgins 3rd liners parading as second liners. Boring.

I say the entire coaching staff. For all the fanfare and promises, which I believed, it appears Torts and his staff have failed. Torts short comings are well documented. Few have criticized the assistant coaches but it appears they too have lost the room. I look at the period of time that Torts was suspended. They seemed tuned out quickly by the players. I can't see Torts and the boys staying on.

Some times I think Mike Gillis hired Torts so the attention wouldn't be on him. Well this has back fired.

Mike Gillis will be lucky to make next season. His attitude publicly has worsened and seemingly become more arrogant in a Burkest manner.

No matter what, an owner with deep pockets will surely notice the costly mistakes, regardless of their involvement and ask Mike Gillis what happened here? If they fire Torts he'll still get payed. They still payed Ballard his money and it looks like Davis Booth is in for a nice payday too. If paying the bill I'm thinking I can get better value for my buck. People like the Aquillinis, regardless of the circumstances do not hemorrhage money for very long. They don't want to be embarrassed in front of their peers either. They do have financial peers that notice too and in that community things don't go unnoticed.

This might be in large part an Aquillini mistake because of influence, we'll never know. What we do know is that they have lots of scape goats and I have a feeling the works is about to get axed and Canucks fans better get ready for a fresh rebuild because at this point there's no other way out of this. IT is this bad!

Is it me or does every GM Vancouver has hired since Pat Quinn has been in a bad mood?

I enjoyed Harry Neil

I too watched hockey for the first time in 06/07 I will never forget that season my most memorable moment of that season was staying up late to watch henrik score that goal in that marathon game against dallas. That team was not expected to make the playoffs but they did and they had so much heart even though they didn't have the skill that they were so much fun to watch.

I think everyone knows that this team is on the decline even though it's tough to accept but I think the last 8 years have been a great journey for this city and we will look back at this time as one our best in this teams history.

"It will take some time for everyone to realize what this team has accomplished this season, it will take some time" Jim Hughson after game 7 loss in finals.

First of all, be pissed off all you want but only fair weather fans question their loyalty. So just know that.

Also... I disagree with your broken heart assessment. I would call this year more of an epiphany than anything. Change is needed. It was obvious from Oct that we weren't going to compete with the Cali teams.

Totally agree, one should hold Gillis' feet to the fire, he admitted change was needed after last season, he and Co already knew. It seems Gillis is scared to make a move for making a mistake.

All this spew about making Vancouver an attractive place to play for free agents is out the window.

I totally appreciate your post, it takes guts to post something like that, what with all the Canuck "fans" who have nothing better to do with their lives than to make fun of others in order for them to feel like they are the least bit important

I have a feeling that I will be feeling the same way with Kesler come the off season. I liked him before he was even a Canuck. And when we drafted him I took it as a sign. He became my hands down favourite that day in 2003. I bought his jersey, t-shirt, puck, and even got a hat and framed picture signed by him. I remember a time when me, along with maybe 3-4 other people would wear Kesler jerseys to games. Now every other person does, cuz they finally like him.

Get this, back in 2009, I was in the hospital from Nov. 3rd, to Dec. 2nd. That season, Kesler didn't score a goal between Nov. 3rd and Dec. 5th (the first game after I got out of the hospital). Nobody can possibly understand the connection I share with him.

It always hurts when a special player to you gets traded. I'm sure one day you will find another Canuck that you liked just as much as Luongo.

There are two types of fans: those of the team and those of particular players masquerading as fans of the team.

I'm of the former, and for me I'm completely indifferent to the comings and goings of players except in how the change can benefit the team.

Gillis got a good return for Luongo, but more to that, he added by subtraction. By removing a prima-donna woe is me whiner he in fact bettered the environment in the locker room, saving new players from being poisoned by the toxic fumes of despair.

Is management free of fault in all of this? Absolutely not, but it's a business. Contracts are signed, promises are made, things change. At the end of the day, it's all about the team, and while I am gracious for Luongo having been here providing 8 years of the best hockey we've seen from a Canucks goaltender, nothing can remain static.

In the end, this is the beginning of repairing the fabric of this team, and it had to start with one domino.

There are two types of fans: those of the team and those of particular players masquerading as fans of the team.

I'm of the former, and for me I'm completely indifferent to the comings and goings of players except in how the change can benefit the team.

Gillis got a good return for Luongo, but more to that, he added by subtraction. By removing a prima-donna woe is me whiner he in fact bettered the environment in the locker room, saving new players from being poisoned by the toxic fumes of despair.

Is management free of fault in all of this? Absolutely not, but it's a business. Contracts are signed, promises are made, things change. At the end of the day, it's all about the team, and while I am gracious for Luongo having been here providing 8 years of the best hockey we've seen from a Canucks goaltender, nothing can remain static.

In the end, this is the beginning of repairing the fabric of this team, and it had to start with one domino.

Often one leads to the other though - someone who is a fan of a particular player often ends up as a long-term fan of that team.

Everyone wanted a bad ass coach well there you are yeah thats right he is an idiot and it was his choice believe it.

How AV doing? Pretty good lucky for him..

Not only that he lives in america his heart is there and should have stayed there...really Luongo s heart was really in Florida unfortunately his wife wanted to be in florida...I seen that two or 3 years after he signed the contract.. oh well if your hearts not in

canada than move on thats what I say...

Hint to Torts go spank some juniors in junior hockey ping

Islanders Flames territory? We were there before Luongo was traded for a bag of pucks. This debacle is going to epic proportions.

We all want to rant right now.... But there are more than enough rant posts atm

Obviously you didn't grasp the hidden but obvious message in the OP's reply...

A very heartfelt comment. I've been mourning for a week and will miss Luongo. He was absolutely amazing for this organization and it is unfortunate that he was treated so unfairly in his last two years. As time goes on people will appreciate his accomplishments more and more. I will continue to support him and wish him all the best in Florida but will remain a Canuck fan forever. This has been an incredibly strange and difficult year and true Canuck fans will stick with their team and be supportive no matter what.

Go Canucks Go and Thanks for all that you do in the Community.

Everyone wanted a bad ass coach well there you are yeah thats right he is an idiot and it was his choice believe it.

How AV doing? Pretty good lucky for him..

Not only that he lives in america his heart is there and should have stayed there...really Luongo s heart was really in Florida unfortunately his wife wanted to be in florida...I seen that two or 3 years after he signed the contract.. oh well if your hearts not in

canada than move on thats what I say...

Hint to Torts go spank some juniors in junior hockey ping

Wow. Already drunk at 10:30 in the morning?

Archived