The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are our Options with a Lottery win? Long Read

Warhippy

OK. So at the beginning of the season a great deal of us clearly stated that missing the playoffs was a very valid possibility. I don't think any of us saw it as being this bad though. 11 losses in 12 games, we cannot score more than 2 goals (sometimes) to save our lives and the injury list is appalling

But what if we win the lottery? Our prospects in the system on RW position are woeful at best and as it stands today Virtanen would be our best bet via draft positions. but what if we win that lottery pick? We have a chance at a solid center that we'd actually have the time to develop for a year in the AHL with our young prospects, or a solid D prospect the likes of which we've never had in Ekblad

But is there another option for us? Do we HAVE to draft the BPA? Or can we do something that the Oilers could have/should have done over the last 4 seasons and trade down?

Our options could include trading with the Panthers, Sabres, Oilers, Predators, Islanders etc. Obviously trading with a team like Anaheim or Chicago or the like is suicide as they'd be good for decades and handing a divisional or conference opponent a potential franchise player is a bad idea (looking at you Garth Snow and your Moulson trade)

So here is some appealing ideas based on teams I think would help us if indeed we won that lottery pick and wanted to trade up or down depending on how you look at it.

Buffalo Sabres

A depth of picks and prospects like has been rarely seen in the league. Truly stunning when you consider the chances they've got to win the lottery this and next year and the stockpiled depth is insane. we'd kill here for that kind of depth or wealth of picks right now wouldn't we?

Options include: Trading for their pick this year and another 1st round pick. Trading for theirs or the Islanders pick next year and an additional or pick two prospects

Prospects:

RW: Armia, Bailey, baptiste

LW:Catenacci, Deslauriers, Carrier

Centers: Grigerenko, Girgensons, Compher

D: Ristolainen, McCabe, Pysyk, Zadorov

If there is a chance at 2 picks or 2 prospects or a mixture of a pick prospect, is Buffalo our dance partner?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edmonton Oilers

Ok, ya they suck. 3 straight #1 overall picks, an 8th overall and possibly another top 3 pick this year. They need Ekblad like I need a medium format Hasslebad and prime Otis lens ($35,000 camera and lens) and would possibly be willing to give up a ton to get him. Obviously their 1st round pick this year or next year and a prospect. that is really ALL they have to offer as they've not stockpiled anything in terms of picks and Buffalo is laughing at them because of it

Prospects

RW: Pitlick, Tyrvainen, Mccarron

LW: Moroz, Khaira, Zarkov

Centers: Olivier-Roy, Miller, Yakimv

Defense: Nurse, Marincin, Klefbom

Honestly,I feel bad for the Oilers fans after typing that out. 4 straight years of top overall or top 10 picks and that is their prospect pool...ouch. But take a pick this or next year and a prospect, do they have what it takes to get that pick from us?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nashville Predators

Now, last year they managed to get uber D prospect Seth Jones. And really this kid is going to be such a stud in this league. They're desperate for scoring depth and forward prospects. I don't think anyone can deny that right now that they've an amazing defensive core, great goal tending but woeful forwards. Would the potential of Bennett or Reinhart convince them to give up some of that defensive depth, like Ellis, Josi or....even big money Shea Weber?

Prospects:

RW: Hellberg, Mazanac, Saros

LW: Puustinen, Budish, Murphy

Centers: Scissons, Jarkrok, Murphy

Defense: Jones, ekholm, Bitetto, Jusi, Ellis

And finally, Shea Weber. Would a team that is fairly spendthrift be willing to give up Shea Weber with Seth Jones lurking in the wings? Hard to imagine it wouldn't be feasible with a top forward prospect in a draft coming back to them

Florida Panthers

Ok, now I know everyone is sick to death of talking to and about the Panthers. Obviously the Luongo issue is fresh and people hate the idea. but they've also got a perennial top 5 pick solid prospects and could use either Ekblad or Dal Colle as they need help at wing and D. Would they be willing to part with this years pick and a prospect, or even next years pick and a prospect?

Prospects

RW: Hyman, Luciani, Hazen

LW: Howden, Kosov, Macfarland

Centers: Barkov, Grimaldi Shore

Defense: Matheson, petrovic, Robak

Now I think that with our past history, pitchforks and torches would be rolled out but is another trade with Florida what we need?

New York Islanders

Ok, so Garth I am slow; Snow. Man oh man if there was a GM you ever wanted to trade with it's him. This guy gets bent over a barrel and loved up by the entire league on a regular basis. I mean really screwed over because he is terrible. not sure how he still has a job because he makes edmonton management look good.

They do have a wealth of prospects though in all positions we need. Would a bona fide C prospect like Bennett or Reinhart get him motivated to make yet another record breaking blunder of a trade?

Prospects:

RW: Nilsson, Poulin, Koskinen

LW: Collberg, Kabanov, Petrov

Centers: Strome, Nelson, Lee

Defense: Reinhart, Pokka, Pulock

So maybe Reinhart and Reinhart is enough of a draw for Snow? Who knows. They don't hold that 2015 1st though so anything would have to be this year in terms of picks/prospects

So, all in all I have posted 5 teams worth of prospects picks possibilities. I mean really holding on to that pick or translating it into picks/prospects is just as good in my opinion.

This is all a hypothetical discussion though and shouldn't be taken seriously. I know I could have included breakdowns of all the avilable prospects but even i have better things to do.

So what do you think? In the event of a lottery win is a trade possible? Is there a team with something you like on it that you'd rather see? Post your ideas or your opinions here.

sorry about the long read.

I think we'd have to take Ekblad. Not many teams win the cup without a true number 1 D, something we've never had and Ekblad is an absolute stud. Not big on anyone else in the draft, so if we got a high pick and Ekblad was taken i'd trade down for sure.

if we win the lottery this year, next years 1st round pick, this years first round pick, and a legitimate prospect is the minimum I would accept. and I would ONLY do the trade with a team in the bottom 10

I would think if it is Buffalo, that is possible. 11 picks in the first 2 rounds I am sure they can trade either their 2015 or the Isles 2015 pick a pick in the mid range 1st round this year and a prospect as well. They'd LOVE some Ekblad I am sure.

If we got the 1st pick and Edmonton got the 2nd pick. I would trade down so they can take Ekbland and we can get something extra.

We don't really need a defenseman at the moment and we need scoring. We can pick Reinhart or Bennett with the 2nd pick. Reinhart is tearing it up right now. I think he can be better than RNH.

IF we get the first pick (I don't think it's likely but you never know), then I would trade down to the #2 spot. I personally don't care if we got Reinhart or Ekblad, but if we have the 1st overall pick, we better end up with one of the two. Trade down to the #2 pick, get something extra, and then pick whoever is left (Reinhart or Ekblad).

I like the idea of trading down a bit (within top 10). If we get 2 or 3 solid pieces.

Something like a top prospect, 1 top 10 pick and another 1st round pick.

Doing this we can aim at addressing some franchise needs (top RWer) and we also increase our overall chances of landing a player that will become an impact player in the NHL.

You now go from 1 player (even 1st overalls don't pan out sometimes) to potentially 2 or 3 players.

Say we were able to do a trade like this with the Islanders:

Our 1st overall for their 6th overall, Strome/Reinhart.

You really have to consider that as a good move for the Canucks

Not necessarily, because quantity =/= quality

A lot of top 10 picks over the years became bust or average 2nd line player/top 4 D. While the top 1-2 overall of the past 10 years have become NHL Stars

Mackinnon, Murray (too early, injured), RNH, Hall, Tavares, Stamkos, Doughty, Kane, Toews, Staal, Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin.

The real bust we're E.Johnson and Yakupov (so far). Johnson was playing in the US therefore not in the best junior league, therefore might have been overrated at the time.

Wow I can't believe you spent that much time writing about something that probably has a 3%-5% chance of happening... :sadno:

What is even more unbelievable is how you took the time to gripe about it ina post instead of contributing to the conversation :picard:

What is even more unbelievable is how you took the time to gripe about it ina post instead of contributing to the conversation :picard:

Why bother contributing to a conversation that is so outlandish and isn't worthy of making any real comment on other than the opinion I already expressed..?

Why bother contributing to a conversation that is so outlandish and isn't worthy of making any real comment on other than the opinion I already expressed..?

Because it is called a discussion. It says very clearly unlikely and hypothetical a few times in the original post

Now you can contribute like a person who either can or wants to, or you can just leave really.

Archived