The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Suspension] 3 Games for Kassian

Alex the Great

well considering that Dillon played on the subsequent 5 min major penalty with no injury and kassian was tossed from the game I personally find a multi game suspension for a hit that did no damage at all a little overkill and inconsistent (suprise suprise)

If the league is basing the suspension on "the hit could have had a worse outcome" well Lupul's elbow was nothing but a vicious attempt to injure that failed spectacularly on multiple camera angles. If intent over outcome is what is punished Lupul's was worse.

It was a clear hit from behind from a marginal player. Suspension approved.

If that's Chara, he's just a big guy.

The NHL has no standard on suspension based on intent or result

Three is fair, I was thinking we would get 3-4.

So how is that Cody-Kassian trade looking so far?

Gotta look pretty good from Buffalo's perspective...

Buffalo had Foligno and Kassian vying for the same "power forward" role, and opted to keep the younger Foligno who wasn't already known for having an immature attitude resulting in inconsistency on the ice. Ergo, Kassian was deemed expendable and traded for Hodgson to fill another role entirely.

As of today anyway: Foligno's stats across the board are better than Kassian's, he still isn't a floater despite having cause to be disheartened while playing on the league's worst team, and he hasn't made a dubious rep for himself with multiple suspensions.

Canucks had Kesler and Hodgson vying for the same "top 6 center" role, and opted to keep the older Kesler whose health was already questionable. Ergo, Hodgson was deemed expendable and traded for Kassian to fill another role entirely.

As of today anyway, Hodgson has continued to trend upward with improved skating, defensive play and consistent production despite anchoring a 2nd line of revolving door no-name wingers on the league's worst team, while Kesler's defensive play has become mediocre, his productivity has trended downward (guy's pt per game average is even surprisingly lower than Hodgson's this year despite the 4 extra minutes per game), and the guy now wants out entirely.

So yeah, looks like Buffalo won hands down by keeping Foligno over Kassian, while it's questionable if Vancouver has even broke even by keeping Kesler over Hodgson.

Mmmm not sure why dillon. Turned into the boards like that. Its just asking for it, you think a player thats played hockey his whole life woukdnt turn away towards the boards like that but thats just me

Players "turn into the boards like that" all the time after they've dumped the puck in and are wheeling to return to their bench. It's a pretty standard play actually.

Gotta look pretty good from Buffalo's perspective...

Buffalo had Foligno and Kassian vying for the same "power forward" role, and opted to keep the younger Foligno who wasn't already known for having an immature attitude resulting in inconsistency on the ice. Ergo, Kassian was deemed expendable and traded for Hodgson to fill another role entirely.

As of today anyway: Foligno's stats across the board are better than Kassian's, he still isn't a floater despite having cause to be disheartened while playing on the league's worst team, and
he hasn't made a dubious rep for himself with multiple suspensions

Canucks had Kesler and Hodgson vying for the same "top 6 center" role, and opted to keep the older Kesler whose health was already questionable. Ergo, Hodgson was deemed expendable and traded for Kassian to fill another role entirely.

As of today anyway, Hodgson has continued to trend upward with improved skating, defensive play and consistent production despite anchoring a 2nd line of revolving door no-name wingers on the league's worst team, while Kesler's defensive play has become mediocre, his productivity has trended downward (guy's pt per game average is even surprisingly lower than Hodgson's this year despite the 4 extra minutes per game), and the guy now wants out entirely.

So yeah, looks like Buffalo won hands down by keeping Foligno over Kassian, while it's questionable if Vancouver has even broke even by keeping Kesler over Hodgson.

LOL, looks like I wrote too soon. Crazy coincidental timing, but Foligno just got himself ejected for the same basic play as Kassian's last night. Go figure. :picard:

Seems some here think that a guy should change with his back to the bench so he doesn't "turn his back" on any idiot that might want to cheapshot him. Kass could have let up and simply rode him into the boards but instead he left his feet and tried to cream him. 3 games is light; I expected 4. Problem now is that he is a two time offender and the next one will be a doozy. He sure seems to be trying to be the second coming of Bertuzzi in both good and bad ways. If he succeeds he will be more trouble than he is worth.

This won't do any good to his contract negotiations. Already two suspensions in one contract year where he has shown some potential, but still been very inconsistent and prone to making errors and decisions based on bad judgement on his part. A few more years of training for him.

if your going to be stupid then you need to pay for it he hit the guy in the numbers yeah he turned back but its not a new rule

this kid needs to smarten up. most nights i don't even see why his an NHLer. i trip to utica might do him some good.

oh thats right we ownership/management likes slow players that provide little to no skill because the big.

smaller skilled teams have won more cups than big slow teams .

to bad we are going big and slow with a cr-p d first system.

if your going to be stupid then you need to pay for it he hit the guy in the numbers yeah he turned back but its not a new rule

this kid needs to smarten up. most nights i don't even see why his an NHLer. i trip to utica might do him some good.

oh thats right we ownership/management likes slow players that provide little to no skill because the big.

smaller skilled teams have won more cups than big slow teams .

to bad we are going big and slow with a cr-p d first system.

This was the downfall of the Canucks, when we lost to Boston and MG decided that it was because we were too small. He lost interest in adding skilled players and started adding plugs to the team. This is what we are left with.

For a repeat offender, this was a gift from the NHL. This could have had a Claude Lemieux/Draper outcome.

I don't think he did it on purpose, but you can see from the replay, he instantly knows he did the wrong thing.

Archived