The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MH370 - Presumed Lost in Indian Ocean, Possible Debris Spotting in Reunion

Brad Marchand

Wouldn't rule out a terrorist attack unfortunately. Or this may be a long shot, but even North Korea. Just the other day they had put a missile right across an airliner's path.

I would be shocked if North Korea had the capability to shoot down an aircraft that far away.

Especially so without anyone noticing.

And I don't think they've ever been connected with THIS type of state sponsored terrorism.

Uighurs maybe? An Indonesia terrorist group? I've got no idea.

Indonesia would be more likely. North Korea doesn't have the balls to do anything that would upset China. The Chinese government was recently criticized for not doing enough to aid its own citizens when they are abroad. I'm pretty sure N. Korea would realize that they would cease to exist without China's support.

Indonesia has (I think) the largest Muslim population in the world. Not that all Muslims are terrorists, just that Indonesia is known to be a breeding ground for terrorism.

Indonesia would be more likely. North Korea doesn't have the balls to do anything that would upset China. The Chinese government was recently criticized for not doing enough to aid its own citizens when they are abroad. I'm pretty sure N. Korea would realize that they would cease to exist without China's support.

Indonesia has (I think) the largest Muslim population in the world. Not that all Muslims are terrorists, just that Indonesia is known to be a breeding ground for terrorism.

You must have missed:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/07/us-korea-north-china-idUSBREA260CV20140307

But, in this case, the plane was too far away and a missile would have been picked up by both China and Japan.

There is one thing to rattle sabres with a near miss off of their borders and another thing to commit an act of war at the southern end of the continent.

I don't think it's even possible for them. It may have even been unintentional...

"The report is true, but the missile was far away from the plane -- it was six minutes away and I don't know how many kilometers away in terms of altitude," Si told Reuters.

But, in this case, the plane was too far away and a missile would have been picked up by both China and Japan.

There is one thing to rattle sabres with a near miss off of their borders and another thing to commit an act of war at the southern end of the continent.

I don't think it's even possible for them. It may have even been unintentional...

Nah that was probably just a careless missile test by the North. My guess is it indicates no intended aggression at all towards China.

Well obviously it wasn't an intentional event. The chances of an actual hit would be tiny, but it's more of the lack of responsibility that shows how much of a loose cannon North Korea is. You simply cannot launch a missile un-announced into a high-traffic area for commercial airlines.

My point was it pissed off China, and North Korea is continuing to defend their role/absolve themselves of any wrong-doing in the event.

I don´t know why people use the Air France Flight 447 as an example.

the AF was a diferent cause, the weather was terribly bad at that time. but it isn´t a surprise due to the ITCZ be very common there and all South American Pilots know that and were is located. it comes from Tabatinga area to Africa...

the Air France Flight 447 received reports from other pilots who deviated from the storm, the French Pilot should do the same...

aircrafts before the AF447 avoided the storm and reported to the Brazilian ACC about that, AF447 was aware of those storms but somehow they still flew right to the core...

this route is done since 1930´s so the frequent CB´s there isn´t new. and the Brazilian ACC always inform about them...

Malaysia probably suffered from other facts, the weather appeared to be good at the moment...

I don´t know why people use the Air France Flight 447 as an example.

the AF was a diferent cause, the weather was terribly bad at that time. but it isn´t a surprise due to the ITCZ be very common there and all South American Pilots know that and were is located. it comes from Tabatinga area to Africa...

the Air France Flight 447 received reports from other pilots who deviated from the storm, the French Pilot should do the same...

aircrafts before the AF447 avoided the storm and reported to the Brazilian ACC about that, AF447 was aware of those storms but somehow they still flew right to the core...

this route is done since 1930´s so the frequent CB´s there isn´t new. and the Brazilian ACC always inform about them...

Malaysia probably suffered from other facts, the weather appeared to be good at the moment...

Ehhh some reading comprehension might help. The Air France flight is being referenced in comparison to the length of time required to successfully fine the aircraft (2 years)

Ehhh some reading comprehension might help. The Air France flight is being referenced in comparison to the length of time required to successfully fine the aircraft (2 years)

How much was the fine?

Wouldn't rule out a terrorist attack unfortunately. Or this may be a long shot, but even North Korea. Just the other day they had put a missile right across an airliner's path.

Was reading about this missile defense for passenger Jets last week

Israel to Outfit Passenger Planes With Laser Anti-Missile Defense System

Feb. 27, 2014 9:30pm Sharona Schwartz

Israel has successfully completed a series of tests of an anti-missile defense system for passenger jets, the system’s manufacturer and Israel’s Defense Ministry announced.

Elbit System’s C-Music system – whose Hebrew name translates to “Sky Shield” – is designed to protect commercial airliners against shoulder-fired missiles.

C-Music-Elbit-Simulation.jpg

This simulation shows a laser fired from under the aircraft intercepting an incoming missile. (Image source: YouTube)

Israel’s Army Radio reported that several Israeli passenger planes have already been outfitted with the gear.

These photos from the Defense Ministry and Elbit Systems show the system installed under passenger aircraft:

C-Music-Elbit-1.jpg

Elbit’s C-Music anti-missile system installed on the underbelly of a passenger plane. (Photo: Defense Ministry/Elbit Systems)

C-Music-Elbit-2-620x348.jpg

Photo: Israeli Defense Ministry and Elbit Systems

The system detects incoming missiles with a thermal camera. When the missile reaches a certain proximity to the aircraft, the system fires a laser at the missile’s seeker which deflects it off of its trajectory, allowing it to explode at a safe distance from the aircraft.

“The experiments, carried out in southern Israel, were some of the most complex and sophisticated ever carried out in Israel,” the Defense Ministry said in a statement Wednesday. “They simulated a range of threats that the C-Music system will have to deal with.”

“C-Music is considered the most advanced system of its kind in the world, and will provide ultimate defense to planes,” the ministry said. “It combined advanced detection and disruption technologies, and meets the stringent requirements of commercial flight.”

C-Music-Elbit-3.jpg

Another view of the system designed to protect passenger planes against shoulder-fired missiles. (Photo: Israeli Defense Ministry and Elbit Systems)

Elbit Systems President and CEO Bezhalel Machlis said the system is applicable both to commercial and military jets and that the defense contractor has already received orders from the Brazilian and Italian air forces.

“C-Music” is designed for both fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters. The acronym stands for Commercial-Multi Spectral Infrared Countermeasure.

Israel’s Transportation Ministry said the system will now be installed on Israeli airliners.

In 2002, terrorists fired shoulder-launched missiles at an Israeli Arkia Airlines passenger plane as it was taking off from Mombasa in Kenya. The two missiles missed their target and the plane landed safely in Tel Aviv.

On several occasions in recent years, Israeli airlines were instructed to halt domestic service to the southern port and resort city of Eilat due to the threat of possible shoulder-fired missile attacks from terrorists operating in the bordering Sinai Peninsula in Egypt.

Reports of two passengers had stolen passports. One from Italy, the other from Austria. They were stolen in Thailand one to two yrs ago.

can just guys with criminal record, or suicide bombers. Who knows.

so far it seems more like foul play than accident.

Archived