The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MH370 - Presumed Lost in Indian Ocean, Possible Debris Spotting in Reunion

Brad Marchand

Malaysia Airlines says it has lost contact with a plane travelling from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, with 239 people on board.

The airline said in a statement that flight MH370 disappeared at 02:40 local time on Saturday (18:40 GMT on Friday).

It had been expected to land in Beijing at 06:30 (22:30 GMT).

"Malaysia Airlines is currently working with the authorities who have activated their search and rescue team to locate the aircraft," the carrier said.

"Our team is currently calling the next-of-kin of passengers and crew."

The Boeing B777-200 aircraft was carrying 227 passengers, including two children, and 12 crew members.

_73451138_malaysia.jpg

The arrivals board at Beijing airport showed the flight as 'delayed'

"We deeply regret that we have lost all contacts with flight MH370 which departed Kuala Lumpur at 12.41 am earlier this morning bound for Beijing," said Ahmad Jauhari Yahya, Malaysia Airlines' group chief executive officer.

'Lost over Vietnam'

The passengers were of 13 different nationalities, the airline added.

The flight went missing two hours after taking off from Kuala Lumpur.

China's Xinhua state news agency said it was lost in airspace controlled by Vietnam.

It said some 160 Chinese passengers were among the people on board.

The aircraft did not enter airspace controlled by China and did not make contact with Chinese controllers, the agency added.

_73451136_chinamalaysiaplane0314.jpg

"We are very concerned learning this news," AFP quoted China's foreign ministry spokesman, Qin Gang, as saying.

"We are contacting relevant authorities and are trying to confirm relevant information."

Fuad Sharuji, Malaysian Airlines' vice president of operations control, told CNN that the plane was flying at an altitude of 35,000ft (10,700m) and that the pilots had reported no problem with the aircraft.

Malaysia Airlines has told the BBC it will be holding a press conference later on Saturday.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with all affected passengers and crew and their family members," said its statement.

The airline is the national carrier of Malaysia and one of Asia's largest, flying nearly 37,000 passengers daily to some 80 destinations worldwide.

The route between Kuala Lumpur to Beijing has become more and more popular as Malaysia and China increase trade, says the BBC's Jennifer Pak in Kuala Lumpur.

Hopefully everyone's alright.

http://www.bbc.com/n...d-asia-26492748

So is the assumption that it crashed in the ocean somewhere?

I would imagine so... Either that or somewhere that isn't populated (i.e. a jungle).

Likely something quick and devastating happened that didn't allow for a distress call to be sent out.

Horribly sad story that makes my heart absolutely ache.

I wonder how long the search will take... I remember the Air France incident clearly, and it took them around 2 years to locate the wreckage. At least this is a smaller area to search.

Edit: Unconfirmed, but:

Yahoo Singapore @YahooSG

Vietnam media quote Navy Admiral Ngo Van Phat saying military radar recorded #MH370 crashing into sea 153 miles south of Phu Quoc island

^Take that with a grain of salt... Lots of people have been starting rumours about the plane... Absolutely disgusting of them.

this is why i dont fly anymore.......damn you Mayday!

scary to think about why it would just lose contact with no radio for help before hand.

praying for a good outcome.

Yea. It's a Quick death but at the same time, it takes a little while for the plane to actually crash while it's going down. That's the worse part. Knowing you're going to die

I really hope they're all okay, but I don't have high hopes. The plane just disappeared without any distress calls sent out.

They had experienced pilots, one who had been with them since 1981 and had over 18,000 flight hours, and another than had been with them since 2007 and had around 2,700 flight hours. They had good weather, and they were at cruising speed and altitude. They were also using a Boeing 777, which is one of the safest planes out there. Malaysia Airlines also has a good record. They've had 2 crashes with fatalities, one in 1977 which was a terrorist attack, and one in 1995.

If something went wrong, they should have had time to send out a distress call of some kind.

It's extremely strange for a modern aircraft to suddenly lose contact. No radio, no transponder, nothing, over land nonetheless. They can't even find an ELT signal yet. Not to mention most of the crew and passengers would have phones on them. The fact that there was no distress signal could point to an intentional attack of some type.

You have a better chance of being killed walking down the sidewalk than being in a plane crash

It was even mentioned in an episode of Mayday that you have a greater chance of dying while driving to the airport than dying in a plane crash.

Archived