The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article) Mock Draft - Canucks take Kempe

IMHO Buffalo witht efirst pick will take Aaron Ekblad

Buffalo has either the Islander's first round pick in 2014 or in 2015. And because is the Connor McDavid/Jack Eichel draft, Isles will be inclined to make a run for either thus probably will surrender this year's pick.

Considering the standings, BUffalo has a huge chance in the draft lottery to get 2 picks in the top 5 for this years draft.

They take Ekblad simply because he is the best prospect in the draft, and he is everything that screams leader and literally a beast. that being said Sabres have a have drafted many d and are loaded with Myers, Psysk, Ristolainen, and Zadorov, but adding Ekblad will set them in stone for years on D.

Considering the Sabres are looking to move Tallinder, Ehrhoff and others, a fresh movement on the blueline is needed and Ekblad would be NHL ready to step in.

IF the Sabres are able to get another top five pick or within 2 or 3 picks they have plenty of forwards to choose after

Draisaitl, Reinhart, Bennett, dal Colle, Virtanen, Ritchie, Perlini, Kapanen and etc. the first 4 names are great prospects but none of them scream out elite like Ekblad. Therefore BUffalo will take their chances with Ekblad and with Isles first rounder will take whoever the best forward prospect is left. In theory Buffalo could take Ekblad plus any of the top 4 forward players.

Buffalo has either the Islander's first round pick in 2014 or in 2015. And because is the Connor McDavid/Jack Eichel draft, Isles will be inclined to make a run for either thus probably will surrender this year's pick.

Considering the standings, BUffalo has a huge chance in the draft lottery to get 2 picks in the top 5 for this years draft.

They take Ekblad simply because he is the best prospect in the draft, and he is everything that screams leader and literally a beast. that being said Sabres have a have drafted many d and are loaded with Myers, Psysk, Ristolainen, and Zadorov, but adding Ekblad will set them in stone for years on D.

Considering the Sabres are looking to move Tallinder, Ehrhoff and others, a fresh movement on the blueline is needed and Ekblad would be NHL ready to step in.

IF the Sabres are able to get another top five pick or within 2 or 3 picks they have plenty of forwards to choose after

Draisaitl, Reinhart, Bennett, dal Colle, Virtanen, Ritchie, Perlini, Kapanen and etc. the first 4 names are great prospects but none of them scream out elite like Ekblad. Therefore BUffalo will take their chances with Ekblad and with Isles first rounder will take whoever the best forward prospect is left. In theory Buffalo could take Ekblad plus any of the top 4 forward players.

wow. that actually makes alot of sense

Strong points, hard to argue with!

Edmonton management just read this, looked at their last 5 years and started weeping

Gillis wants a centre? Gaunce, Horvat, Cassel, Schroeder, I think we are ok at centre, defense and wing prospects are lacking.

Gaunce - 3rd liner on good team

Horvat - 2nd liner on good team

Cassels - who knows?

Schroeder - suited for the wing

Gillis wants a centre? Gaunce, Horvat, Cassel, Schroeder, I think we are ok at centre, defense and wing prospects are lacking.

Gillis wants a 1st line Centre. Extremely unlikely that any of our prospects can put up enough point. The only point of trading up is for Reinhardt or Draisaitl. A wicked winger like Dal Colle, Perlini, Virtanen, or Ritchie will be great. If Tuch, Karlsson, or McKeown are available at our 2nd, I will be ecstatic.

Zadorov and Ekblad together could be scary

The even scary thought is that if Buffalo so hapens to win the draft lottery and takes Ekblad and still gets either next years or this years 1st from Islanders. I gurantee that they are bad enough to lose next year to fight for a pick at McDavid or Eichel.

That my friends is the most scariest part of it all.

The even scary thought is that if Buffalo so hapens to win the draft lottery and takes Ekblad and still gets either next years or this years 1st from Islanders. I gurantee that they are bad enough to lose next year to fight for a pick at McDavid or Eichel.

That my friends is the most scariest part of it all.

Let's say NYI's 1st is top 4 this season and they decide to give it to BUF because they don't want to risk giving McDavid away,

In two years,

Ennis - McDavid - Hodgson

Dal Colle - Grigorenko - Girgensons

Foligno - Larsson - Armia

Catenacci - Compher - Bailey

Ehrhoff - Myers

Zadorov - Ekblad

Pysyk - Ristolainen

McCabe,

Enroth

Hackett

and whoever else they pick with their load of picks in the next 2-3 years..

I just added random players in the bottom 6 with good potential.. obviously some won't be on the team in 2 years, but in 3-4 years, they'll be scary.

Let's say NYI's 1st is top 4 this season and they decide to give it to BUF because they don't want to risk giving McDavid away,

In two years,

Ennis - McDavid - Hodgson

Dal Colle - Grigorenko - Girgensons

Foligno - Larsson - Armia

Catenacci - Compher - Bailey

Ehrhoff - Myers

Zadorov - Ekblad

Pysyk - Ristolainen

McCabe,

Enroth

Hackett

and whoever else they pick with their load of picks in the next 2-3 years..

I just added random players in the bottom 6 with good potential.. obviously some won't be on the team in 2 years, but in 3-4 years, they'll be scary.

Or if the Isles get McDavid, a top two of McDavid and Tavares would rival the Pens Crosby/Malkin combo.

I guarantee that you same people said Edmonton would be a scary team. Who knows how all these picks pan out and mesh?

Except the Oilers have no defense..

Ehrhoff - Myers

Zadorov - Ekblad

Pysyk - Ristolainen

McCabe,

Or if the Isles get McDavid, a top two of McDavid and Tavares would rival the Pens Crosby/Malkin combo.

Yep.

Ho-Sang at 23 would be an absolute steal, if he develops. While of course there's a risk with him he has one of the most dynamic skillsets in the draft and could end up a top 3 offensive player to come out of it.

I wouldn't mind Kempe really, but not with our 1st pick, and its not like I expect him to fall to our 2nd. The way you have the draft panning out I would much rather take Nylander, Ritchie or Virtanen, and in that order.

Nylander has the potential to be a huge gamechanger for us (although actually small though, because of his size haha). His offensive game and skating are top notch, with his size and defense being his only downfalls.

Ritchie is a hulking beast in the OHL with a heavy and accurate shot and insane physicality, but he has concussion issues to beware of.

I'm personally really, really high on Virtanen but reports are that the Canucks scouts aren't. Someone was talking to one of them at a Dub game and said they thought he should be a 2nd rounder. I think he has the proper combination of speed and size to make it in the NHL and his shot is just icing on the cake. That said, I don't think he'll be able to ragdoll dmen with the puck like he does in Juniors at the NHL level, but if he manages to get beefed up enough to play that game in the Bigs, he'll be an Iginla 2.0/ Evander Kane type player.

Ho-Sang at 23 would be an absolute steal, if he develops. While of course there's a risk with him he has one of the most dynamic skillsets in the draft and could end up a top 3 offensive player to come out of it.

I wouldn't mind Kempe really, but not with our 1st pick, and its not like I expect him to fall to our 2nd. The way you have the draft panning out I would much rather take Nylander, Ritchie or Virtanen, and in that order.

Nylander has the potential to be a huge gamechanger for us (although actually small though, because of his size haha). His offensive game and skating are top notch, with his size and defense being his only downfalls.

Ritchie is a hulking beast in the OHL with a heavy and accurate shot and insane physicality, but he has concussion issues to beware of.

I'm personally really, really high on Virtanen but reports are that the Canucks scouts aren't. Someone was talking to one of them at a Dub game and said they thought he should be a 2nd rounder. I think he has the proper combination of speed and size to make it in the NHL and his shot is just icing on the cake. That said, I don't think he'll be able to ragdoll dmen with the puck like he does in Juniors at the NHL level, but if he manages to get beefed up enough to play that game in the Bigs, he'll be an Iginla 2.0/ Evander Kane type player.

If van has a chance at Virtanen and passes up on him he'll be the next Neely. That's our luck.

Remember we could have had Jagr

Archived