366 replies to this topic

#1 DrChill

DrChill

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:20 AM

@taj1944: Elliotte saying there was a possibility that Torts was going to be fired if they lost tonight. Wow

@taj1944: PJ: Are you saying Torts was going to be fired? Elliotte: There was a possibility tonight if they lost that something was going to happen

I know some of you don't like botch but he is on the inside and usually has great info, make sure u read the provies. More on the torts situation and morning practice.

http://blogs.theprov...ins-everything/

BEST STORY

Here’s the thing when the Canucks hired John Tortorella.

It was either going to work, and he was going to be able to squeeze one more playoff run out of this veteran Canucks team.

Or it was going to be a disaster.

Still, no one could have seen this. It’s been epic. The Canucks have won six games in 2014. The top line has scored zero goals.

It’s the second week of March.

The Sedins are ruined. Alex Burrows is ruined. The power play is ruined. Roberto Luongo’s agent orchestrated a trade to get him out. And Ryan Kesler would like his agent to do the same.

The team appeared to tune Tortorella out sometime after the 40-game mark, which may be a record.

The coach got suspended for going lunatic fringe which is as obvious a turning point for this season you’re going to find.

And now, plenty are predicting this is all going to bring down the Mike Gillis era.

Think about this logically.

If Gillis’s job really is on the line, and he wants to keep it, who might he be blaming for this epic implosion?

Do you think he would suggest this could be on the coach, who just may have been the owner’s choice to begin with?

As the story goes Saturday, Gillis wanted Tortorella on the ice for the Cancuks gameday skate.

Tortorella does his media obligation before his team skates, and then usually goes home.

It’s odd. Has been all year.

He did the same Saturday.

Whether Gillis wanted him there or not, there was then speculation that if the Canucks lost to the Flames, Tortorella could have been fired within 48 hours.

It is inevitable.

Either Gillis will do it or the new GM will.

Unless you believe in playoff miracles…

BEST QUESTION

How did Tortorella get a five-year deal?

The Canucks weren’t bidding with other teams.

This wasn’t like NY which had to give AV five years, because if they didn’t Dallas was ready to.

There was one team that wanted Tortorella.

Actually, one guy.

BEST IRONY

If Kesler wanted out because of Tortorella, he is now being used to try and save the coach’s job.

Of the final 6:23 tonight, Kesler played 5:06.

The guy was a monster in the faceoff circle, winning 67%.

Defensively, he also wiped out the Flames top line.

After the game, Tortorella made a surprise appearance in the locker room to thank him.

Edited by DrChill, 09 March 2014 - 10:36 AM.

#2 BlueLemming

BlueLemming

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:24 AM

POPULAR

I would completely give up on this team if Torts was the first to go out of the entire organization.

#3 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:24 AM

I don't see how beating the Flames has any reverse effect but whatever. I think the problem is beyond Torts.
Posted Image

#4 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,568 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:25 AM

POPULAR

I don't think he's the right coach. It's not even close, this is almost the same team as last year, look at the difference in EVERYTHING. from scoring , standings, penalty kill, power play, it's a huge difference, this team literally played better under A.V's system vs Torterella's system. It's very dissapointing, how wrong we are, at this point. I remember back in December we were all happy about Torts, like look at it. Yea, sure you can say this team is hampered with injuries, last year the Canucks lost Ryan Kesler for almost the entire year, i'm sorry to say this.

A.V might be a better coach by virtue of having a much more effective "system" in place, vs Tortz, who probably is a better motivator, but the system not equally as effective as A.V's.

I'm begging for a coaching change.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#5 DrChill

DrChill

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:27 AM

From what I have heard torts ain't to popular with the team.

I don't think he is a fit. We went from one extreme to another, need a coach somewhere in the middle.

I think torts and/or gillis goes in next couple weeks.

#6 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,656 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:30 AM

POPULAR

Baloney. Torts has done well IMO. The team has been playing like crap, and unfortunately management has sucked as well.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#7 BlueLemming

BlueLemming

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:31 AM

I don't think he's the right coach. It's not even close, this is almost the same team as last year, look at the difference in EVERYTHING. from scoring , standings, penalty kill, power play, it's a huge difference, this team literally played better under A.V's system vs Torterella's system. It's very dissapointing, how wrong we are, at this point. I remember back in December we were all happy about Torts, like look at it. Yea, sure you can say this team is hampered with injuries, last year the Canucks lost Ryan Kesler for almost the entire year, i'm sorry to say this.

A.V might be a better coach by virtue of having a much more effective "system" in place, vs Tortz, who probably is a better motivator, but the system not equally as effective as A.V's.

I would rather stick with Torts than act like the Oilers and change coaches every 1-2 seasons hoping for a home run. It's so easy to blame the coach and think that things will get better just like we did with AV. This team has been declining at an increasing rate no different than when AV was here. There's not a lot of coaches that could just change this situation around.

With what's happening beyond the players & coaches, no reliable or consistent players other than Kes, the goalie drama for 3 years, (the list goes on), I just don't see how another coaching change would solve anything.

#8 Shamu101

Shamu101

Canucks Prospect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:35 AM

It's not Torts fault he is doing his job which is helping our team make the playoffs and were getting there just need to get on a 16 game win streak and all these rumours will go away

#9 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,568 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:35 AM

POPULAR

I would rather stick with Torts than act like the Oilers and change coaches every 1-2 seasons hoping for a home run. It's so easy to blame the coach and think that things will get better just like we did with AV. This team has been declining at an increasing rate no different than when AV was here. There's not a lot of coaches that could just change this situation around.

With what's happening beyond the players & coaches, no reliable or consistent players other than Kes, the goalie drama for 3 years, (the list goes on), I just don't see how another coaching change would solve anything.

it's actually funny reading your post...it's not the players fault? They are the ones that are playing on the ice, not MIke Gillis! Fail! Alex Burrows? 0 goals? Henrik Sedin? Pointless in 20 games? fail! Canucks fans on canucks.com fail!

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

#10 MayRayDown

MayRayDown

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:38 AM

Look at individual stats from last year and it's not impressive. Hansen 3rd in points, burr 4th, mayray 6th and Kesler who played 17 games had 13p (2 less than Higgins)

Mayray gone, burr and Hansen missing and the Sedins injured spelled doom. After 48 games this season I'd like to compare the stats and say we were still in par or better than last year (and we arent in the weak NW division anymore)

#11 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,033 posts

POPULAR

Wowza that would have been a quick reaction. I personally think it's Gillis who needs to go.

And the players need an attitude adjustment. This isn't AV anymore. This guy is tough and passionate and emotional. It doesn't mean he's wrong. It just means you gotta work like a dog for his systems to work. So smarten up and play harder. Geez.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#12 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,203 posts

Seems like a stupid reason to fire a coach. If management feels he isn't the right fit, one game shouldn't be a factor.
Posted Image

What are you talking about? The Flames are one of the teams that gets good value contracts

#13 HunterHorvatBure

HunterHorvatBure

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:41 AM

Torts' system has hurt this team more than anything. Completely screwed the system and the players are just lost. Gillis goes, torts get another look under a new gm.
2jcd5kh.jpg
Credit to khalifawiz501 for sig.

#14 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,568 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:42 AM

POPULAR

Look at individual stats from last year and it's not impressive. Hansen 3rd in points, burr 4th, mayray 6th and Kesler who played 17 games had 13p (2 less than Higgins)

Mayray gone, burr and Hansen missing and the Sedins injured spelled doom. After 48 games this season I'd like to compare the stats and say we were still in par or better than last year (and we arent in the weak NW division anymore)

well we can't just fire the GM after 1 bad season, on top of 7 consective very good seasons. This is pretty much the same team he he had last year, so why fire the GM? What did he do? literallly nothing, yes! Nothing! I don't think anyone including the fans saw this coming. If David Poile and Lou Lamerioulleo still has their job after years and years of failed hockey I think MIke Gillis will not get fired because he's achieved more then both those GM's Since he (mike Gillis) has joined the leauge as a General manger.

Why fire Mike Gillis? I don't understand you guys. I really don't. What did you want him to do anyways? He can't really prevent the team from struggling when you can't even anticipate it to happen. LIke all of a sudden they just decided to suck! yes! the team! They decided to suck out of nowhere, we won 7 games in a row, we thought things were fine, then they started to lose and suck! Same team that won 7 in a row, now we are calling for Mike Gillis's head? You guys are unbelievable, I stand by my word.

If David Poile and Lou Lammerou still has their job, Mike Gillis will too.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

#15 HunterHorvatBure

HunterHorvatBure

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:44 AM

it's actually funny reading your post...it's not the players fault? They are the ones that are playing on the ice, not MIke Gillis! Fail! Alex Burrows? 0 goals? Henrik Sedin? Pointless in 20 games? fail! Canucks fans on canucks.com fail!

Overplaying his players until they break, and then changing their style of play may be a reason torts is getting part of the blame...
2jcd5kh.jpg
Credit to khalifawiz501 for sig.

#16 Batmania

Batmania

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:50 AM

POPULAR

From what I have heard torts ain't to popular with the team.

I don't think he is a fit. We went from one extreme to another, need a coach somewhere in the middle.

I think torts and/or gillis goes in next couple weeks.

I've heard differently.
Posted Image

#17 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,902 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:52 AM

I'd keep Torts for another year but have the new GM ask Torts to use a more offensive system, sort of like his in Tampa.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#18 BlueLemming

BlueLemming

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:56 AM

When did I say it's not the players fault? I was implying that the players ARE at fault and that it's NOT coaching.

Edited by BlueLemming, 09 March 2014 - 12:57 AM.

#19 c00kies

c00kies

Cookie Monster

• Members
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:58 AM

The only other coach I'd want is Peter Laviolette. He seems to have a more offensive, puck control system.
Posted Image
Thanks to Blueberries for the sig :)

#20 B00MER

B00MER

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:59 AM

the core players need to go first. They've had what? 6 years together. Why do they get so many chances?

#21 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,495 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:07 AM

Considering our roster what do they expect? top of the league? Torts is doing just fine, this team is just underachieving because of their play on the ice.

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#22 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:08 AM

Screwed over Luongo, hope he and Gillis are the next two cut from our organization.
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#23 hockey21383

hockey21383

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:11 AM

Why do you think Torts went into the dressing room after the game during the media session to talk to Kesler? He was basically telling Kes, "Thanks for saving my ass tonight and playing a hell of a game" I'm pretty sure Torts knew if he lost tonight his head would be rolling out the Rog tonight.

#24 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:12 AM

While I agree Torts needs to go, what would be the damn point of firing him now with 17 games to go? It's not like we could turn it around and make a run. And why would management want that with a top 7 pick within reach.

Position ourselves for as high a pick we can get then fire him after the season ends. Right after Aquilini fires Gillis.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#25 hockey21383

hockey21383

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:20 AM

While I agree Torts needs to go, what would be the damn point of firing him now with 17 games to go? It's not like we could turn it around and make a run. And why would management want that with a top 7 pick within reach.

Position ourselves for as high a pick we can get then fire him after the season ends. Right after Aquilini fires Gillis.

If ever so happens to magically get this team into the post season it would be impossible to fire him then...its just better to do it sooner than later. You don't have to be an expert to see majority of the team has tuned him out and as long as the Sedin's are on the team, there is no way of playing the type of game he wants while there still here.

#26 G.K. Chesterton

G.K. Chesterton

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,079 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:21 AM

I'd get rid of both Gillis and Torterella.
“Reason is itself a matter of faith. It is an act of faith to assert that our thoughts have any relation to reality at all.” - G.K. Chesterton

“Unbelief is as much of a choice as belief is. What makes it in many ways more appealing is that whereas to believe in something requires some measure of understanding and effort, not to believe doesn't require much of anything at all.” - Frederick Buechner

“All human nature vigorously resists grace because grace changes us and the change is painful.” - Flannery O'Connor

“My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?” - C.S. Lewis

#27 prana16

prana16

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:35 AM

I'd keep Torts for another year but have the new GM ask Torts to use a more offensive system, sort of like his in Tampa.

we do not have the skill on this team to play that game. This team has been missing 1-2 top line offensive players for 3 years

#28 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,734 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:40 AM

Friedmans words were a bit ambiguous. It sounded like either the GM or the coach would have been fired.

Either way, I was never a fan of the Torts hiring. I'm still not. He seems like a good guy, a passionate guy who's tried to change his image in Van. But it doesn't change the fact that he was never the right coach for this team. Listen to Scottie Bowman on team 1040 the other day talking about the type of system Torts employs. It further cemented what a terrible fit he was to begin with, but I guess we have Aquilini to thank for that. Whether it's now or end of season, he needs to be replaced. It doesn't matter which players or which GM is with this team - he's not the coach they need.

#29 prana16

prana16

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:41 AM

well we can't just fire the GM after 1 bad season, on top of 7 consective very good seasons. This is pretty much the same team he he had last year, so why fire the GM? What did he do? literallly nothing, yes! Nothing! I don't think anyone including the fans saw this coming. If David Poile and Lou Lamerioulleo still has their job after years and years of failed hockey I think MIke Gillis will not get fired because he's achieved more then both those GM's Since he (mike Gillis) has joined the leauge as a General manger.

Why fire Mike Gillis? I don't understand you guys. I really don't. What did you want him to do anyways? He can't really prevent the team from struggling when you can't even anticipate it to happen. LIke all of a sudden they just decided to suck! yes! the team! They decided to suck out of nowhere, we won 7 games in a row, we thought things were fine, then they started to lose and suck! Same team that won 7 in a row, now we are calling for Mike Gillis's head? You guys are unbelievable, I stand by my word.

If David Poile and Lou Lammerou still has their job, Mike Gillis will too.

I was a gillis supporter.. but he has not addressed this teams needs for the last 3 seasons. His player evaluation for trades is honestly horrible ie david booth. Booth was brought in to be that top 6 we have needed and he has failed/been unavailable every year he's been here but still no moves.. this team is playing with Hansen and higgins as second liners.. hell its playing with kesler as its best player.. where as contending teams were going to trade for him and have kesler playing 3c. Gillis is to blame because these issues have been here long enough to be addressed and hes done nothing. He is responsible for the personnel on the ice and that 2nd line is abysmal.

#30 î мцšт вяздк чфµ

î мцšт вяздк чфµ

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:51 AM

POPULAR

i wish this was our coach...

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.