The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) torts almost removed updated botch

DrChill

Stupid, If Torts was fired tonight, it would be one of the most stupidest thing ever.

You don't go around and fire a coach under 1 season. It takes time to adapt and play the system.

Do you want us to be like the Oilers? New coach every year, and last every year.

Agreed. "Resetting" the organization all the time will just make things a hell of a lot slower.

Gaborik was still able to gather two 40 goal seasons under Torts. This lack of offence is just baffling.

Wowza that would have been a quick reaction. I personally think it's Gillis who needs to go.

And the players need an attitude adjustment. This isn't AV anymore. This guy is tough and passionate and emotional. It doesn't mean he's wrong. It just means you gotta work like a dog for his systems to work. So smarten up and play harder. Geez.

honestly it's hard to imagine how this team can play any harder this season.

We literally ran the Sedins into the ground and stomp their face against the mud by overplaying them. We are talking about two ppg player all having injury and a career low season since Tort took over.

In fact, he's doing the exact same thing he did to Hank and Dan to Kesler now. I mean holy crap have you look at his TOI this season? It's almost like Tort is trying to run the whole core into the ground.

Then we look at the amount of players who are having a career low season so far... I think there are 7 right now if they keep up with this pace. This include our whole first line and hardworking players like Hansen.

This season is also one of the most injury riddle season in recent history, largely due to how Tort's system overplaying them and shot blocking.

I know it's not just Tort's fault and there are MANY factors that makes the canucks what they are right now, but I just think it's hard not to point finger at Tort before our players and GM. Passionate is good, but you need more than passion to be a coach in today's NHL.

Stupid, If Torts was fired tonight, it would be one of the most stupidest thing ever.

You don't go around and fire a coach under 1 season. It takes time to adapt and play the system.

Do you want us to be like the Oilers? New coach every year, and last every year.

you still need to judge whether your rosters can actually adapt to the coach's system. Which one is easier? trading players who can't adapt to the coach's system (which is literally half of the team right now), or getting a new coach that fits your players?

Do you honestly think our core, especially players like the Sedins, can thrive under Tort's system?

Please dont tell me you are one of those idiots who thinks we can waive half of our team because they are not hardworking.

you still need to judge whether your rosters can actually adapt to the coach's system. Which one is easier? trading players who can't adapt to the coach's system (which is literally half of the team right now), or getting a new coach that fits your players?

Do you honestly think our core, especially players like the Sedins, can thrive under Tort's system?

Please dont tell me you are one of those idiots who thinks we can waive half of our team because they are not hardworking.

Except our core isn't in their prime anymore. If they were, then yeah, maybe get a new coach. Maybe you hadn't noticed, but this core was slipping last year under AV. Don't tell me they were fine last year, or even the year before. They haven't been the same since the finals.

One reason we are doing horribly is because we don't have a top six. We have a top three then a bunch of tweeners who should be in the bottom six.

In 2 periods against a an ordinary Calgary team we had 8 shots, and 32 shot attempts which means 24 that were blocked, plus scores more that simply missed. All we do is throw pucks into a maze.

Our fortunes start and stop with landing a defenceman who can beat pressure one on one. Having Edler or Garrison, with big shots, does nothing when guys are constantly on top of them and they can't handle the pressure. Someone who is a danger to undress a check every time they challenge him, move forward, create room and passing lanes. So he gets room, also has a big shot, can pass and suddenly the offensive end of the ice starts to open up.

Add speed, the same ability to undress and we can start a transition game from our end. When, if ever, do we see a defender rushing the puck? None of our defenders have the puck skills.

In 2 periods against a an ordinary Calgary team we had 8 shots, and 32 shot attempts which means 24 that were blocked, plus scores more that simply missed. All we do is throw pucks into a maze.

Our fortunes start and stop with landing a defenceman who can beat pressure one on one. Having Edler or Garrison, with big shots, does nothing when guys are constantly on top of them and they can't handle the pressure. Someone who is a danger to undress a check every time they challenge him, move forward, create room and passing lanes. So he gets room, also has a big shot, can pass and suddenly the offensive end of the ice starts to open up.

Add speed, the same ability to undress and we can start a transition game from our end. When, if ever, do we see a defender rushing the puck? None of our defenders have the puck skills.

Then add a big forward with soft hands, like we thought we were getting in Kassian, who knocks guys off the puck on the half boards and heads to the net. Remember, one opposition is on his arse behind the play, so he can either get to the net, or if someone else leaves their man to block him there will be lanes for a pass. Keep going and wreak havoc in front of the net. Look for a return pass, joust for rebounds, punish defenders. Hell punish goalies.

This is as important as the PMD I described above.

Kassian has done this for us in small stretches. See the first Toronto game. He also plays a safe game, wants to be in position. Perhaps why he does not go so aggressively to the corners all the time? Look what happened when Archibald did aggressively come out of the corner tonight? And he has not the talent Zack has, nor the speed. Anyway, this is second on my list because Zack still has the potential to fill this role.

tortorella is not fit to be an nhl coach in 2014. this (short) stint in vancouver is comparable to mike keenan's stint in calgary -- a futile, last ditch effort to squeeze the last remaining drops of life out of a dried up, dead core, but also a final nhl coaching chance for a dinosaur of a coach before being forced to either retire or coach in russia by their own outdated coaching methods.

tortorella is not fit to be an nhl coach in 2014. this (short) stint in vancouver is comparable to mike keenan's stint in calgary -- a futile, last ditch effort to squeeze the last remaining drops of life out of a dried up, dead core, but also a final nhl coaching chance for a dinosaur of a coach before being forced to either retire or coach in russia by their own outdated coaching methods.

Agreed.

well we can't just fire the GM after 1 bad season, on top of 7 consective very good seasons. This is pretty much the same team he he had last year, so why fire the GM? What did he do? literallly nothing, yes! Nothing! I don't think anyone including the fans saw this coming. If David Poile and Lou Lamerioulleo still has their job after years and years of failed hockey I think MIke Gillis will not get fired because he's achieved more then both those GM's Since he (mike Gillis) has joined the leauge as a General manger.

Why fire Mike Gillis? I don't understand you guys. I really don't. What did you want him to do anyways? He can't really prevent the team from struggling when you can't even anticipate it to happen. LIke all of a sudden they just decided to suck! yes! the team! They decided to suck out of nowhere, we won 7 games in a row, we thought things were fine, then they started to lose and suck! Same team that won 7 in a row, now we are calling for Mike Gillis's head? You guys are unbelievable, I stand by my word.

If David Poile and Lou Lammerou still has their job, Mike Gillis will too.

GMMG has not even come close to what Lou has and thats a couple rings....

So someone's tweeting and paraphrasing others and we don't have links to those discussions or confirmation they even took place?

Another mod has let this stand and so I'll ride along too, but for my own personal curiosity could we get further links to where this conversation took place?

Because the vultures like to hover over this team, especially when we're down so I take everything rumoured to be said with a grain of salt. The boys don't need further speculation and drama and whatever unfolds will happen...until then, I'm just cheering them on. They played out the goaltender controversy and the next stories are in the works. I understand this team currently gives a lot to write/talk about, but as for the who's going where, we should have all learned by now. :) I don't think a single reporter had Schneids on the move when all the drama surfaced back in the day. So, really, what do they know?

Baloney. Torts has done well IMO. The team has been playing like crap, and unfortunately management has sucked as well.

But isn't the job of the coach to motivate the players into playing well?

Based on what you are saying, the coach has no effect on the team.

How can you say Torts "has done well"? What actually has he done other than have the Sedins playing tougher minutes in the defensive zone that they are used to, thereby sucking their offence from them.

Previous management had the Sedins taking the majority of their face-offs in the offensive zone, thereby tasking advantage of their skill set. Torts has them taking defensive face-offs on a regular basis, which is simply not their game.

Putting players in a position to succeed is the job of the coach, and Torts has failed miserably in that regard.

So because we scratched out a win at home against Calgary, Tortorella gets to keep his coaching job here? That doesn't really pass the giggle test for me.

Gillis should be removed first and then let the new guy decide what to do with Torts.

Next year will be with we go on our final run. I say tank the rest of the season and get into the top 5. gives the guys a whole 2 months off and relax and get training for 2014-2015. the players by then will know the system, expectations, and know how to play under torts

And in adding my two cents. We can fire coaches and go that routine but the bottom line is the players have to show up each and every night. Dig in like their lives depend upon it. I used to think that maybe they could go into conservation mode a bit and glide into the playoffs vs barreling in, but it seems you need the momentum. You can't get into bad habits of coasting or it turns into a pattern.

I don't like "blame" when a team is struggling...too many players, both on the ice and behind the bench. It's a shared responsibility and, usually, there isn't a quick fix when things unravel.

Torts is tough....but, as stated in the commentary last night, all teams are blocking shots (it was dead even last night). So that aspect really is just part of the game now, as silly as it is (because what happens when there's no one left fit enough TO block them....poor Burr. Tanev. Guys are dropping like flies). I'd almost guess that some teams will be secretly putting bullet proof armour under their gear to survive this tactic.

We went from a very casual, laid back coach who chuckled to one who now smirks and yells. Sure, a bit of balance would be nice but most were calling for an in your face approach not long ago. That the team needed a wake up call and someone with fire in their veins. So now he's here and it's all being retracted...he's too tough.

I don't like that the defensive game is the focus in such a drastic way that offense is being neglected. Again - balance. But I also think we haven't had enough time to assess...the team has to find the will to win and no coach can transplant that in...it has to come from the players themselves.

My hope is that MG is fired, or at least resigns as GM and stays on as Prez of Ops. The new GM would then want his own coach to implement his vision of what the team should be.

That would kill two birds with one stone.

Archived