The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

George Strombolopoulous to be new CBC HNIC Host with Don Cherry

Danimal

Big fan of Strombo since the Loud days on MuchMusic. How can anyone hate this guy? As professional as they come and is extremely well respected amongst celeb.'s and the media. I like most canuck fans will never forgive Maclean for his Burrows rant so hopefully in a year he'll be off the air altogether.

Hopefully this means Rogers is unhappy with the way the clowns at HNIC conduct themselves, and this is the first of many replacements. MacLean has been a disgrace to his country ever since his hatchet job on Burrows. When Don Cherry is openly mocking the guy on the air for his complete lack of professionalism, it's time to replace him.

Next on the chopping block: Stock, Healy, Hrudy, Lee, Weekes

I really wish they would clean house. I can't watch the endless CBC bias vs the Canucks. You would think paid professionals would be able to set aside their fan bias.

I would quickly add Simpson and Ferraro to that list and keep Hrudy. At least Hrudy does try to give a balanced opinion most of the time.

I really wish they would clean house. I can't watch the endless CBC bias vs the Canucks. You would think paid professionals would be able to set aside their fan bias.

I would quickly add Simpson and Ferraro to that list and keep Hrudy. At least Hrudy does try to give a balanced opinion most of the time.

Hrudy tends to get caught up in a game or with a particular player then goes overboard for a bit. Overall, he's pretty balanced compared to some.

I still prefer the TSN crew by a wide margin. Does this mean there will be no games broadcast by TSN anymore? or just no more Canadian teams being broadcast?

Outside of Leafs, Jets and Canadiens regional coverage, TSN is essentially out of the NHL game. They also were unable to gain rights to the CHL so there hockey coverage is limited to a few regional broadcasts and the World Juniors. You won't see anymore national TSN games for at least 12 years after this season. It will be interesting to see what becomes of TSN when it's main rival is just loaded with NHL games on all different platforms. Losing the playoffs is huge.

Not a fan of Strombo as per say...but pretty much anything would be an upgrade on Ron Maclean at this point.

Too bad Ron gets to stay on Coaches Corner though, guess he will still get a few chances to get some potshots off..his last one at Bure during his jersey retiring was definitely interesting.

I really like the new lineup for hosting hockey on Rogers.

I've never been one to be personally offended by what a broadcaster says about a team I like or dislike. I just generally watch the guys I enjoy and ignore the ones I don't like. And it doesn't seem like Ron MacClean is actually getting a demotion. He's doing Coach's Corner and hosting the new Sunday broadcast which looks like it is going to be modelled after NBC's football night in America where you have a huge one off game every week.

And I've been a big Stombo fan since he was on the Fan in the early nineties. He hosted a late night show called "The Game" with a few other producers. It was a great show. Really fun. The guy is pretty knowledgeable hockey wise. And then he hosted "Live In Toronto" on the Edge in my days when I thought that was cool. I haven't seen much of him since those days but I think this is a great choice.

My initial thought was that this was a weird fit. I never really watch The Hour, but after looking at some of the prior guests he has had, it seems like a relatively respected show:

- Hilary Clinton

- Margaret Atwood

- James Cameron

- Robert Kennedy Jr

- Tim Robbins

- Spike Lee

- President Jimmy Carter

- Lebron James

- Larry King

- Naomi Klein

- Christopher Hitchens

Its not just some show featuring Canadian talent and fringe American celebrities. I don't think he'd be able to land these type of guests without having decent credibility.

I hate the garbage that comes from people assuming that "he's a Habs fan, so he's going to be biased". We don't know how he's going to be until he starts speaking. Maybe those people who've heard him talk hockey have a better sense of what type of perspective he is going to bring. However, just because he is a Habs fan, doesn't mean he's going to be pumping their tires every broadcast.

I'm going to sit on the boring 'wait and see' fence.

My initial thought was that this was a weird fit. I never really watch The Hour, but after looking at some of the prior guests he has had, it seems like a relatively respected show:

- Hilary Clinton

- Margaret Atwood

- James Cameron

- Robert Kennedy Jr

- Tim Robbins

- Spike Lee

- President Jimmy Carter

- Lebron James

- Larry King

- Naomi Klein

- Christopher Hitchens

Its not just some show featuring Canadian talent and fringe American celebrities. I don't think he'd be able to land these type of guests without having decent credibility.

The Hour is awesome. His guests actually seem to enjoy being interviewed by him. The interviews are far more interesting and in-depth than any of the late shows. I'm just disappointed that he won't be able to say much sitting next to Don Cherry.

Hey when will this change actually be in effect?

Elliotte Friedman should have been first in line for any main CBC HNIC job. Miles ahead ahead of Ron and Don.

Oh, I agree with Friedman, just not for Coach's Corner; and certainly not a sidekick to anyone. Friedman knows his stuff and, right now, has the best forum available on CBC. Coach's Corner would handcuff him, not only for time, but also for getting any word in. Strombo is the perfect choice as he is very good at sitting there, letting someone talk. When it is his time to chime in, he is clever enough to add something that a person like Cherry would feed off of.

Outside of Leafs, Jets and Canadiens regional coverage, TSN is essentially out of the NHL game. They also were unable to gain rights to the CHL so there hockey coverage is limited to a few regional broadcasts and the World Juniors. You won't see anymore national TSN games for at least 12 years after this season. It will be interesting to see what becomes of TSN when it's main rival is just loaded with NHL games on all different platforms. Losing the playoffs is huge.

i think they also get to broadcast the NBC games like they do now.

Strombo is a loser. His guests routinely make fun of him, I remember Gordon Ramsay indirectly call him a fat slob. "At least I can see my twig and berries when I look down"

4 more years before this lame horse is put out to pasture. I recommend not watching, and instead remembering the show as it once was, like 15 years ago.

And what have you done with your life? You'll be lucky if Gordon Ramsay takes the time to make fun out of you.

The Hour is awesome. His guests actually seem to enjoy being interviewed by him. The interviews are far more interesting and in-depth than any of the late shows. I'm just disappointed that he won't be able to say much sitting next to Don Cherry.

Hey when will this change actually be in effect?

jezz people did anyone actually watch the press conference???? george will be the host of HNIC ron mclean and don cherry still do coaches corner.... ron mclean moves to the new sunday night hockey which will be broadcaster from a small town every sunday like kraft hockeyville ......

jezz people did anyone actually watch the press conference???? george will be the host of HNIC ron mclean and don cherry still do coaches corner.... ron mclean moves to the new sunday night hockey which will be broadcaster from a small town every sunday like kraft hockeyville ......

Damn!

Not sure where people are getting that mclean is done.. Strombo is just being brought in to be the "host'.. ala ryan seacrest, all the other main guys are still going to be there.

The title is a bit misleading and mixes the HNIC Host with Coach's Corner. All the articles etc. on news feeds are clear that George is the host of the program but Ron and Don continue on with Coach's Corner.

Archived