The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Big numbers: First line futility; Canucks on-pace for historic low

TheRussianRocket.

Neat little article. If you have time, give it a read. Sure some of you guys will like it.

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2014/03/10/big-numbers-first-line-futility-canucks-on-pace-for-historic-low/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Henrik-Sedin-78887966-Glenn-James.jpg

Every now and then we like to take a break from all the words and just post some numbers. And some words describing the numbers, as otherwise it would just be a whole bunch of numbers with no context, which would be really weird. Big Numbers is a weekly feature on Pass it to Bulis in which we identify the numbers and statistics that really matter or, frequently, the ones that don’t matter at all but are still pretty interesting.

62 | The number of goals Dane Fox has scored in 64 games this season for the Erie Otters, first in the OHL by 16 goals. He’s only the second player to score 60 or more goals in the OHL since 2008. With two goals against the Kitchener Rangers on Saturday, he also broke the 100-point barrier, reaching 101 points.

40 | Daniel and Henrik Sedin’s matching point totals this season, leading the Canucks. Only three teams have a leading scorer with so few points: the Buffalo Sabres (Cody Hodgson, 34 points), Florida Panthers (Scottie Upshall, 31 points), and Nashville Predators (Shea Weber/David Legwand, 40 points).

12 | The pointless streaks for both Daniel and Henrik. Daniel last registered a point on January 21st, while it’s been January 10th since Henrik tallied a point, which means the team-lead in points has been 40 for two months.

0 | The number of goals scored by the Canucks’ top line of Alex Burrows and the Sedins in 2014, a total of 25 games without a goal. Considering how much those three players play, that’s actually impressive that they haven’t managed to score at least one goal by accident.

79 | Burrows’ shots this season. For a while, he had the most shots for a forward without a goal, as several defencemen had taken more shots without a goal, but that’s no longer the case. Burrows now has the most shots of any player this season without a goal. The NHL record for most shots in a season without a goal is held by defenceman Gilles Marotte, who took 153 shots in the 1967-68 season without scoring. Burrows won’t reach that mark, but he could best the modern forward record, held by Craig Adams, who took 84 shots in the 2009-10 season without scoring.

14 |Shots by Canucks in win over Flames. Since the 1987-88 season (the furthest hockey-reference.com goes back), the Canucks have had 15 games with 14 shots or fewer. Remarkably, they’ve won 7 of them, with two of those wins coming just last season. The fewest shots the Canucks have taken in a game in the modern era is 8, in a 2-1 loss to the New Jersey “Trap ‘Em Up” Devils in 1996.

186 | The Canucks current goalscoring pace for this season. This would be the lowest goal total in a non-lockout season in franchise history. Previous low was the 1998-99 season, when they scored 192 goals, led by Markus Naslund’s 36 and Adrian Aucoin’s 23. No other player had more than 16 goals that season.

156 | It could be worse: the Buffalo Sabres are on pace for 156 goals this season. The record for fewest goals in a season is held by the 1953-54 Chicago Blackhawks, who managed just 133 goals in their 70-game season. That’s an average of 1.900 goals-per-game. The Sabres are averaging 1.906 goals-per-game.

6 | The number of misconducts for both Tom Sestito and Zack Kassian, leading the NHL. Sestito also leads the league in fighting majors. These are not the statistics you want to lead the NHL in, at least when you can’t score any goals.

2016 | The year Bieksa is signed through, notable because he said he has no intention of ever asking for a trade from the Canucks and “will go down with this ship.” Wait, only captains are supposed to go down with their ship. Does this mean he sees himself as the Canucks captain?! DOES HE HATE HENRIK?! CAPTAIN CONTROVERSY!

7ga87.jpg

At least one player from that line has been injured nearly the entire season and they have even less scoring support than last year due to a shrinking cap and the inability to buyout Booth.

Not sure where people think that's going to be a recipe for success.

i can't believe that the sedins and burrows are through as players....if i'm wrong i'll admit it, but imo, they come back next year

and make us all proud......if gillis can find line mates for kesler or move him, i think our 3rd and 4th line will be find....this team

is still a good team...they just need a boost......as fans we either give up on the team or stick with them and what a few additions might do for them....

i can't believe that the sedins and burrows are through as players....if i'm wrong i'll admit it, but imo, they come back next year

and make us all proud......if gillis can find line mates for kesler or move him, i think our 3rd and 4th line will be find....this team

is still a good team...they just need a boost......as fans we either give up on the team or stick with them and what a few additions might do for them....

Well said... im sure they'll bounce back. They are great players... talent doesn't just disappear

Agreed I can't believe that the Sedins could so suddenly fall off in the middle of one season, but I think they might recover by next year.

The way Kassian plays only makes me believe that he's a future goon in the making. Draws stupid penalties, gets overzealous leading to bad decisions on ice, and has little hockey IQ that doesn't seem to be improving at all. He might get better... but I still think he won't turn out to be worth the Hodgeson trade.

At least one player from that line has been injured nearly the entire season and they have even less scoring support than last year due to a shrinking cap and the inability to buyout Booth.

Not saying it has to be a recipe for tremendous success. But 25 games. Not 1 single goal??? 12 Games without even a single assist from either Sedin? It's not like they're even getting tons of chances and just not finishing. Henrik has 3 shots in his last 8 games. Stop making excuses for them, they're playing like crap.

I believe the Sedins have a chance of bouncing back since they were doing well up until January. As for Burrows he might be done. His game dropped quite a bit last season and he has taken another massive step in the wrong direction. Plus he has been ice cold since game 1.

What does the Sedins & Burrows lack of scoring have to do with Booth? If Burrows was putting up Booth numbers (5 goals 5 assists 36 games adjust for toi, -1 ) we could be somewhat forgiving, since he has had so many injuries. Booth plays mediocre minutes with mediocre linemates and still has something to show for it, albeit he still sucks. Burrows gets prime time minutes, prime time linemates, and has no goals along with a brutal -14.

Yeah,those Hart and Art Ross winners have a chance.

Wish I could say the team has a chance at a first line RW ,a second line RW and a bonafide puck moving 50point d man.

With all the salaries of unsigned Canucks Gillis ain't getting but one of those pieces with the cap space available to him next year.

Yeah,those Hart and Art Ross winners have a chance.

Wish I could say the team has a chance at a first line RW ,a second line RW and a bonafide puck moving 50point d man.

With all the salaries of unsigned Canucks Gillis ain't getting but one of those pieces with the cap space available to him next year.

Nuck nit why are you such a troll. If we buy out booth we have 16.5 mill in cap space the only unsigned players are tanev and kassian and weber Our cap space could increase if we trade out a few players We could afford a good winger plus move up a few rookies on entry level contracts

Just embarrassing

They should go for a top 5 pick

And hopefully make some good trades during draft day

Get more then 1 first overall draft pick

Like who r we kidding

Even if we somehow squeek into playoffs

Well get blown out right away

Maybe Gillis letter is letting us know their goin to tank rest of the season?!

Didnt we lead the league in Goals For about two years ago?.....Unbelievable...

Not that big of a surprise imo tbh. Everyone wanted the core to be shipped out and that's what we got. Only have 10 or 11 players from the 2011 team and that's a lot if chemistry lost and in a positive, chemistry to be made now. New focus on the future so goal scoring thing isn't that surprising...new faces = new results, especially when we are just putting in young guys in.

Not that big of a surprise imo tbh. Everyone wanted the core to be shipped out and that's what we got. Only have 10 or 11 players from the 2011 team and that's a lot if chemistry lost and in a positive, chemistry to be made now. New focus on the future so goal scoring thing isn't that surprising...new faces = new results, especially when we are just putting in young guys in.

The problem isn't who WAS shipped out, it's who WASN'T shipped out. The Sedins and Burrows are past their prime and can't contribute offense anymore. No goals in the 2014 calender year? Enough said.

Archived