The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tortorella: "As a coach, this is my responsibility"

TheRussianRocket.

Bifl6syIcAAa98O.jpg

Torts addressing the media and fans about the teams latest gaffe in this indescribable stretch since January. Talking about coaching, goaltending, the team as a whole, ownership, management...from the top down, the complete thing and the plan for the rest of the season.

...this is why Torts isn't going to be fired anytime soon. He's just the coach, he can only do so much and the players are the ones playing. People asking for his head are clearly dumbfounded. When we had that spectacular December, he was our saviour and now all of a sudden because we are losing he's the villain? Oh come on, screw your heads on right.

If you expect a new coach asap because of a specific stretch of hockey and continue making knee-jerk reactions and emotional comments, clearly you aren't one to comment. We'll be following the Oilers path then with 4 coaches in 5-6 years or whatever; ultimately it doesn't matter who you have coaching, it's the players that play and they have to figure it out and in this case, the scoring. It's no secret Torts is loved by the players. Numerous of them have come out and said he's the best thing to happen to this team so let him continue doing his job.

Why MG is doing a good job too with cap management. This is a blessing in disguise because now, we have a team that just can't score and a fee FA/trades can get the job done. Bring in a few scorers, a few goals = lots more wins. People have these sky high expectations but now that reality has hit, if we can get a top 8 pick this year and miss the playoffs, we get a blue chip top prospect, change/scorers and basically go back to the winning ways. Nothing to be mad about if the cards play out like that. Have lots of cap going into next season and then some with the cap going to increase undoubtedly. There are a flurry of teams mismanaging their cap and it'll truly effect them next year. Those teams made short term solutions for this year and didn't look at the big picture. Ask the Leafs and other teams how they'll be come FA and the draft...very little cap to maintain and build on their teams whereas we have a ton of flexibilty to make moves.

But hold on! Somebody will make up a rumor that the team has tuned out Tortorella or that only Aquilini wanted Torts and not Gillis. It's the emotional comments that spread like a wildfire.

LIIIIIIIIIIIINE ON UP EVERYONE!!!!!!:

Ahhh. I haven't heard that song for years and years. Thanks for posting. :lol:

If you expect a new coach asap because of a specific stretch of hockey and continue making knee-jerk reactions and emotional comments, clearly you aren't one to comment. We'll be following the Oilers path then with 4 coaches in 5-6 years or whatever; ultimately it doesn't matter who you have coaching, it's the players that play and they have to figure it out and in this case, the scoring. It's no secret Torts is loved by the players. Numerous of them have come out and said he's the best thing to happen to this team so let him continue doing his job.

This is a blessing in disguise because now, we have a team that just can't score and a fee FA/trades can get the job done. Bring in a few scorers, a few goals = lots more wins. People have these sky high expectations but now that reality has hit, if we can get a top 8 pick this year and miss the playoffs, we get a blue chip top prospect, change/scorers and basically go back to the winning ways. Nothing to be mad about if the cards play out like that.

The team can't defend leads on the rare occasion it gets one either.

I think in a way when torts goes out and states that "it's my responsibility" he almost in a backhanded way making a statement that he has crap (because of MG) to play but it's still his responsibility to get them playing hockey. Just my take.

The two biggest problems are the Sedins. Elephant in the room...

But we can't move on past them because our dumb GM just signed those two Sedins to golden parachute contracts for four more years. (Oh and signed a fat contract himself... Ugh)

I don't think anyone quite gets this. We're not going ANYWHERE or improving AT ALL until those four years are up and the Sedins are gone (unless the graciously retire before that time because they're playing so awful year after year).

AV had the same team, but with less depth and he was ok. Funny, I say depth and then I will see Weber playing wing on the 4th line. I really don't get it either... The only thing that changed was Tortz in all of this. This much is easy to say.

No, actually he wasn't okay. The last two embarrassing playoff efforts says it all.

When the firey kick in the arse Torts is needed, we get the reflective, fatherly, emotionless Torts.

He is sounding more and more like AV in these media sessions ... except with a deeper voice.

And a much worse record and injuries his style of play created and burnt out star players,and a few players he really p's off unnecessarily and a suspension that made him look like the dufus that he is and it is only six months in on the job.

But we can't move on past them because our dumb GM just signed those two Sedins to golden parachute contracts for four more years. (Oh and signed a fat contract himself... Ugh)

I don't think anyone quite gets this. We're not going ANYWHERE or improving AT ALL until those four years are up and the Sedins are gone (unless the graciously retire before that time because they're playing so awful year after year).

I completely disagree. Yea contracts are a bit pricy but don't shoot us in the foot. They're out franchise players and best to lace up the skates for this team. They will be mentors nearing the end of the career and can still chip in offensively; it's just been an off year for them and case in point is everyone is having an off year. Trade away the Sedin's = Oilers 2.0, have no one to help the kids develop.

Look at the Sharks for instance, they were at a point where everyone wanted Thornton and Marleau gone and wanted to pass the torch onto other players but management kept them and it's worked beautifully. They are still contributing, helping the kids, and have a lot of promise.

Yeah,they give their team mates,fans,franchise and Gilligan a huge four year pass so the core can win but now they are bums when it comes time to be compensated.

TYPICAL BS.

I completely disagree. Yea contracts are a bit pricy but don't shoot us in the foot. They're out franchise players and best to lace up the skates for this team. They will be mentors nearing the end of the career and can still chip in offensively; it's just been an off year for them and case in point is everyone is having an off year. Trade away the Sedin's = Oilers 2.0, have no one to help the kids develop.

Look at the Sharks for instance, they were at a point where everyone wanted Thornton and Marleau gone and wanted to pass the torch onto other players but management kept them and it's worked beautifully. They are still contributing, helping the kids, and have a lot of promise.

^^^^^*

The twins get a lot of crap that they don't deserve, we are a one line team- the twins. Any team can stop one line if there is nothing else they have to be concerned about. They are hurting because the team sucks and we have no second line. Add a second line and the twins will get back on pace.

I actually liked what he said. Made sense to me. If anyone goes, It should be MG.

I'v played tons of sports, When you lose because of player mistakes, its the players you blame. Torts wasn't on the ice letting all those goals through.

It was Lack and our D. I just think to many people here turn to management first and don't hold the players accountable for there actions.

Archived